• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
MEGA POLL: Your Top 5 TV Anime of 2015

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:49 pm Reply with quote
This is the feedback thread for our 2015 mega poll! Questions, comments, concerns and discussion all go here. Thanks for voting!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Just to clarify, shows in which the first half plays in the fall season (of the old year) and the second half plays in winter season (of the new year) do not qualify? Would love to put Shirobako as my favorite and am a bit miffed that I cannot. Its second cour was even more superb than its first and I'd rate it the best TV anime content of 2015 without any hesitation.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I understand that, but you were able to vote for Shirobako last year and it did not have two distinct seasons. We're not interested in creating a system where the same show can win 2 years in a row.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:19 pm Reply with quote
How about creating a new "best short of the year" category? It seems quite unfair to put them in the same category as series with full length episodes, not only because they are shorter, but because they have meager (read as in "shoestring") budgets. Maybe it is too late for this year, but I will eat my hat if any short is in the top five this year.
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:38 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I understand that, but you were able to vote for Shirobako last year and it did not have two distinct seasons. We're not interested in creating a system where the same show can win 2 years in a row.

I agree that everything should only get one shot, but I personally think it makes more sense for things to be judged after they're completed in their entirety. I'm always reluctant to vote for things that aren't finished (though I sometimes do so anyway, and indeed a couple of my choices now aren't finished, though they will be before year's end).
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:46 am Reply with quote
Well my choices were rather easy for me. So ending continuing from last year, ending soon, etc was not a concern for me. Though I have to say I do like the sentiment of a show not getting 2 chances. Seems a bit unfair to the rest.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:47 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
Zac wrote:

I agree that everything should only get one shot, but I personally think it makes more sense for things to be judged after they're completed in their entirety. I'm always reluctant to vote for things that aren't finished (though I sometimes do so anyway, and indeed a couple of my choices now aren't finished, though they will be before year's end).

I agree I can't even remember if I voted for Yona of the Dawn last year which was my favorite and I know I didn't vote for Shirobako my 2nd favorite since I didn't even start watching it till 2015.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:08 am Reply with quote
Of course the correct answer for this poll is Fafner Exodus, but alas, no one is actually watching it.

I don't like that it took up 2 of my votes, though. It might be split into two, but it's still just one show.

And yeah, it might be better to rate shows that finish in a particular year. Sure you got stuff that's really good right now like Iron Blooded Orphans, but it could easily go to shit before the show ends.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I also agree that shows should be rated in the year which they finish rather than the year they start. I think it's better to judge something once it's completely available.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I partially agree with this too. I think two-cour shows that start in Fall and end in Winter next year should be considered after they are finished. Last year's Parasyte had a really strong first half in autumn and completely crashed and burned for most of its second half. On the opposite, Akatsuki no Yona had an okay first half and a brilliant second half over the winter. I didn't vote for it back then, but I would've definitely voted for it this year.

However, one-cour shows that start in Fall like Noragami Aragoto or One Punch Man should be considered for the year, given that the season is really advanced at this point and it's unlikely that shows that have a strong first 9-10 episodes will shit the bed on the remaining 2-3.

It wasn't as hard to choose this year because I didn't feel like we had that many super strong series. Spring was an absolute wasteland for outstandingly great shows (with the exception of BBB which was definitely one of the best of the year) and Summer was only slightly better. Winter had a lot of excellent shows and Fall is proving really strong too so most of my choices are from those two seasons.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1