• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geoff Keighley: Konami Bans Metal Gear Solid V's Hideo Kojima From Game Awards

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:02 am Reply with quote
Konami - Revealing to the world that business abuses the fudge out of their creators.
This is quite honestly sick. this guy made you millions and this is how you treat him. disgusting
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:04 am Reply with quote
Thank you Geoff for putting Konami on blast. There were 2 award shows on Dec. 3rd, and Kojima was not present at either one to accept the MGS V awards. A damn shame. Konami are pure scum and are at the bottom of Popo's pecking order.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:24 am Reply with quote
Normally and I still dislike the Dorito Pope but this time he did good by making this very public. Feel bad for Kojima being treated like this after all he did for them.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:52 am Reply with quote
It would have been better to be honest. Wherever Kojima lands next in his career, whatever games he produces, the bungled handling of this will likely cost Konami a lot of money in lost sales.

Mark Gosdin
Mapmerry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:22 am Reply with quote
Whoever that is didn't go to the awards ceremony so I have now completely forgotten who he is and what he means and has meant to metal gear over the past few decades as a metal gear fan.

(What Konami must think will happen.)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:40 am Reply with quote
Such frank discourse wouldn't have happened in a Japanese awards show (where everything has to be polite).

Wonder how Konami is taking it being put out like that in front of the world? Laughing
Break Xerxes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:08 am Reply with quote
It really upsets me that they banned Kojima from attending. I really don't see Konami staying in bussiness much longer.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:09 am Reply with quote
Break Xerxes wrote:
It really upsets me that they banned Kojima from attending. I really don't see Konami staying in bussiness much longer.
In their native Japan they might still stay alive for a little while. But here in the west they're pretty much finished.

The horrible business decisions, the widespread dislike of the company that's developed as a result and of course the fact that the products they want to make aren't really made with western audiences in mind is almost certainly going to end up hurting them. To what degree remains to be seen, but they're not going to get out of this in one piece. That much I can say for sure.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:15 am Reply with quote
I don't know much about Metal Gear Solid or Hideo Kojima, but why in the world did they ban him? He hasn't done anything to warrant a ban (like drugs, murder, etc.). It's not like he's a murderer out to kill people.
Michael Nathanael T.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:25 am Reply with quote
Mr Kojima should have joined a much better company than Konami. He might be able to join another legendary game creators like Ubisoft or Valve (Counter-Strike series is a legend). For me, his work Metal Gear Solid has excellent gameplay. He should have joined better companies.
Anonymepelle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:27 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
I don't know much about Metal Gear Solid or Hideo Kojima, but why in the world did they ban him? He hasn't done anything to warrant a ban (like drugs, murder, etc.). It's not like he's a murderer out to kill people.

Konami is one of the worst game companies out there. With a long history of treating their employees like shit. They got a weird philosophy that anyone can make games and it doesn't take any real talent, so they try to muddle the line between the artists and the art as much as possible so that people won't come to asosiate the games with their creators. That way it matters less who they get to create the games.

They probably do this much for the same reason. They don't want the Metal Gear Solid franchise to be asosiated with Hideo Kojima, but rather just be asosiated with Konami so they ban him from events like this to prevent people from corectly asuming that Hideo is the guy behind the games. Ofcourse because of the Streisand effect it has the complete oposite effect
Isinfier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:40 am Reply with quote
Michael Nathanael T. wrote:
Mr Kojima should have joined a much better company than Konami. He might be able to join another legendary game creators like Ubisoft or Valve (Counter-Strike series is a legend). For me, his work Metal Gear Solid has excellent gameplay. He should have joined better companies.

Oh my sides.

It's disappointing, but not surprising that Konami is behaving in this manner. They've had a reputation for this sort of bile for quite some time now. Kudos to the Dorito Pope for calling them out live.
Via_01

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:05 am Reply with quote
Well, there's really only one thing to say about this, isn't there?

#FucKonami
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:12 am Reply with quote
I don't have insider knowledge, but I definitely know why he was booted. And let's just say it's his greatest weakness which he's the most open about.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:14 am Reply with quote
I suppose now Konami will say that Kojima being on "long-term vacation" meant he couldn't go to any awards shows because that would count as work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3