• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dagashi Kashi Anime's Video, January 7 Debut, Visual Posted

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I like the comedy of the manga of this tbh so hopefully they adapt this right. The key visual looks nice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Oh! This one looks awesome!!

An anime that is over-passionate about traditional treats, as weird as that sounds, may actually work if done correctly.

Question: Is this manga/anime contains any romance hint/element? So far it does not look like that kind of series.
Actar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I really, really like the design of Hotaru's pupils. The concentric circles make her eyes so hypnotic. Very reminiscent of the Danganronpa designs.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The title means "Cheap Sweets Candy," which is also the name of a Japanese band, but read differently it could mean "However."
The first thing I noticed in the video is that Ayana Taketatsu actually pronounces the show's name as "However" rather than "Cheap Sweets Candy": daga + shikashi, and not dagashi + kashi or dagashi + kashi (with the bold letters showing the pitch accent, placed according to the linked dictionary entries). The band's name is written unambiguously in kanji as "Cheap Sweets Candy" (technically both the terms "dagashi" and "kashi" include snacks other than candy, but that's a minor nitpick and a digression), while the name of the manga/anime is written in hiragana, so it really could be either meaning. Maybe it would have made more sense to transliterate the name as "Dagashikashi": it's still a meaningless string of syllables for most English speakers either way, but the lack of a space at least preserves the ambiguity.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:

Question: Is this manga/anime contains any romance hint/element? So far it does not look like that kind of series.

So far romance element exist but it is so light, at least spoiler[Saya admitted she loves Kokonotsu] and spoiler[Kokonotsu hinted to have crush with Hotaru]

Overall this show is mostly about slice of life and comedy. I wonder how they actually make this anime since most stories were short. I dont see ANN article stated it will be 5-10 minutes long so it must be full 24 minutes per episode with 2 mini episodes in it.
McMillan&Wife

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:37 pm Reply with quote
The doujins this has interest me.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Huh, looking at those images, I can't help but see Hachiman (SNAFU) and Kirino (OreImo) when looking at Kokonotsu and Saya, respectively. And then there's To, who reminds me of Meme (Monogatari series). Laughing

Don't know too much about this series, so I'm looking forward to seeing what it's really like.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
The only thing that looked attractive to me was the main girl's boobs, black stockings, and her generally lewd Otaku trapping design. Not interested in the Japanese snacks.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Looking good. In Japan there are over 80 chapters thus far. The humor should hopefully transfer well on screen.
BrainBlow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I WANT to be hyped for this, but the director is terrible. He utterly butchered Tokyo ESP in ways even newbie directors shouldn't be able to do, and he's got nothing else particularly impressive on his record.
I will be overjoyed if he somehow manages to pull himself together for this project, but I severely doubt it and will treat the anime with extreme prejudice.
OrangeVision

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm not the biggest fan of how the character designs turned out, that was one thing the manga did so well. It's not bad, but certainly not as eye catching as in the manga.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Some of the character designs really bug me. The pupil size and placement for Saya and Kokonotsu make them look awkwardly cross-eyed. I don't know if those characters are meant to have esotropia, but I would assume not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1