• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy VII Remake Team Elaborates on Changes, Confirms Cross-Dressing Cloud

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I cannot wait for this to come out!
Nyren

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:27 pm Reply with quote
There's a little bit of confusion about Nomura's position in this article. While Nomura is directing Final Fantasy VII Remake, he is not returning to the role. Final Fantasy VII Remake's Producer, Yoshinori Kitase, is the original Final Fantasy VII's director. Nomura was simply the lead character designer on the original and I think he had a little input on the story.
aodmisery

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I was really skeptical about this remake when it was first announced. since i already played it multiple times. with each playthrough being close to 100 hours. I thought it wold have been the same game but fancier graphics, but now that the new trailer has been released and certain info is out im really interested in this now.
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Amara Tenoh wrote:

I know, right? Can't wait to see Tifa since Nomura doesn't back down spoiler[unless it's KH related]
Nyren

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:45 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Amara Tenoh wrote:

I know, right? Can't wait to see Tifa since Nomura doesn't back down spoiler[unless it's KH related]
When did he back down with Kingdom Hearts?
Macron One

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:52 pm Reply with quote
It'll be quite interesting to see how this remake turn out. While the changes being made to the new FF7 game(s) are attracting a lot of criticism from hardcore fans, i really don't mind a different approach as long as they can make the gameplay enjoyable and the characters' personalities/motivations remain intact.

An alteration that i would in fact quite like to see happen is an option to save spoiler[Aeris] being included in the game, though buried deeply enough that one wouldn't be likely to find it on a first playthrough, similar to how in the Growlanser games your actions/choices determine the survival of some of the main characters.

Last edited by Macron One on Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Macron One wrote:
An alteration that i would in fact quite like to see happen is an option to save Aeris being included in the game, though buried deeply enough that one wouldn't be likely to find it on a first playthrough, similar to how in the Growlanser games your actions/choices determine the survival of some of the main characters.

Not gonna happen. Her death is one of the most pivotal and important parts of the entire game, and changing it in anyway would be a severe slap in the face to the original storyline.

Now, if they wanted to release an optional "What if" scenario via DLC, that might work. spoiler[ If nothing else, it would make all the silly delusional Claeris fans finally shut up. Confused]
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote
It's a cop-out excuse. If the game couldn't fit on one bluray disc, that means it's over 50 GBs. If it doesn't fit on two, that would make it over 100 GBs. That would be the hands-down, largest game ever made. No other game even comes close. With proper compression, it shouldn't be a real issue. They just want to cut it up so they can make more money off of it. Jerk move and I'm honestly saddened that so many people are in favor of it.

And honestly, most importantly to story telling, it's HORRIBLE to break-up an established story and make people wait INBETWEEN parts. That's just teasing the audience....it's awful. It's much less painful to just wait an extra year or two (we waited 20 years already lol) to release the completed game for a one-time fee of 59.99.

I like to compare it to the Hobbit. FF7 is 40 hours unless you grind a lot or do bonus content. 65-70 hours tops if you do everything. You wouldn't take The Hobbit (book) and split it up into 3 books when you re-release it 20 years later. The movies were evidence that it was an awful money-milking idea to split it into three movies. FF7 doesn't need to be split.

As for the things regarding A Certain Maaya Sakamoto character...... chancing the (main) story at all would be an AWFUL idea and an insult to the work. A what-if DLC or something, I can agree with being a decent idea. But as part of the main game? Don't touch it. It was pivotal moment in gaming history and needs to remain in-tact.
Nyren

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
It's a cop-out excuse. If the game couldn't fit on one bluray disc, that means it's over 50 GBs. If it doesn't fit on two, that would make it over 100 GBs. That would be the hands-down, largest game ever made. No other game even comes close. With proper compression, it shouldn't be a real issue. They just want to cut it up so they can make more money off of it. Jerk move and I'm honestly saddened that so many people are in favor of it.

And honestly, most importantly to story telling, it's HORRIBLE to break-up an established story and make people wait INBETWEEN parts. That's just teasing the audience....it's awful. It's much less painful to just wait an extra year or two (we waited 20 years already lol) to release the completed game for a one-time fee of 59.99.

I like to compare it to the Hobbit. FF7 is 40 hours unless you grind a lot or do bonus content. 65-70 hours tops if you do everything. You wouldn't take The Hobbit (book) and split it up into 3 books when you re-release it 20 years later. The movies were evidence that it was an awful money-milking idea to split it into three movies. FF7 doesn't need to be split.

As for the things regarding A Certain Maaya Sakamoto character...... chancing the (main) story at all would be an AWFUL idea and an insult to the work. A what-if DLC or something, I can agree with being a decent idea. But as part of the main game? Don't touch it. It was pivotal moment in gaming history and needs to remain in-tact.
I see a lot of people assuming that it has to do with how much they can fit on a disk, but it has nothing to do with that. It has more to do with the volume of work they have on their plate. It's going to take a lot of time and resources to recreate EVERYTHING from Final Fantasy VII in modern graphics and style. So in order to get the game to fans sooner rather than later(Because, lets face it, they would have showed us more than just Midgar in the latest trailer if they had more than Midgar finished. But Nomura came out and said they haven't done Don Corneo's mansion yet, and they didn't even have the combat system finalized until this Autumn.), and to give each part of the game it's own budget and not have to make sacrifices that otherwise would have had to of been made, they had to split it up. And the content of each part will be the equivalent of a full game.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
And the content of each part will be the equivalent of a full game.

Kind of doubt that's going to be true except that 6-hour "full games" do get made these days.

If true it would mean blowing FF7 up to some gigantic epic which it probably couldn't support. The story's not that complex or anything.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
If true it would mean blowing FF7 up to some gigantic epic which it probably couldn't support. The story's not that complex or anything.

ummmm.... what?? The original game was a 50 hour RPG spread across three discs... And involved several elements, including detailed backstories for all 9 playable characters. The original cities / dungeons were usually a flat two or three images you could run across relatively quickly. Simply making the scale of the world bigger and making it longer to get from point A to point B is going to double the length of the game. Add to the fact all dialogue is going to be voiced now (which will take longer to burn thru then just reading text), and you've got a roughly a 120 hour game. That easily splits into 3 games 40 hours each, or 4 games 30 hours each. Square's not dumb enough to do more than 4 parts.

That's also why they're splitting it. One area was just a pre-rendered photo. Now those environments have to be fully rendered in 3D & HD. It's literally the different between drawing a picture of a city and building a scale model of a city. Also recording voice overs takes much longer than just writing and translating plain text.

I'm totally ok with them changing and adding a few things. I've played the original about 10 times and if I want to play it again I have the PS1 copy. Will it have the same impact on me as the original? Of course not. It's been 20 years almost. I was 12 when this game came out. I'll probably be 33 or 34 when the remake comes out. That's a big difference because nothing's going to wow me like it used to.
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:

Just to name a few:

The keyblade was originally a chainsaw, but Disney didn't like it.

Sora was originally a lion that looked human(to give a Disney character feel), but was later changed to what we know now after talking with Disney and his staff.

Nomura wanted to create a KH fighting game, but he thought it would be bad for KH characters to fight each other because they were connected to Disney, so the idea turned into Dissidia.

Aqua's original design was revealing, so Nomura changed it before Disney said something.

The original ending of KH 3D was not accepted by Disney so Nomura had to change it.
Nyren

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:45 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Nyren wrote:

Just to name a few:

The keyblade was originally a chainsaw, but Disney didn't like it.

Sora was originally a lion that looked human(to give a Disney character feel), but was later changed to what we know now after talking with Disney and his staff.

Nomura wanted to create a KH fighting game, but he thought it would be bad for KH characters to fight each other because they were connected to Disney, so the idea turned into Dissidia.

Aqua's original design was revealing, so Nomura changed it before Disney said something.

The original ending of KH 3D was not accepted by Disney so Nomura had to change it.
I had a feeling something about Aqua was gonna be in there. I'd like to see her original design, but I imagine it isn't floating around on the internet. Not that I'm unsatisfied with her final design.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm fine with some redesigns, but even in a realistic setting why would someone were sunglasses in the dark?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nyren

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I'm fine with some redesigns, but even in a realistic setting why would someone were sunglasses in the dark?

Emerje
Rule of cool. It's a common thing in cyberpunk settings for the protagonist or other characters to be wearing sunglasses at all times of the day even if it doesn't make sense. It just looks cool and so they roll with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3