• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Active Raid Anime's 2nd Video Previews Akino with bless4's Song

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Going to optimistic about this. Great to hear AKINO with bless4 again in the theme song though. I think this was confirmed for 2 cour so they could do a lot with the show's premise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jroa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Well, I was wondering why ANN hadn't published any articles on this early today.

I like the look and feel of the series. It seems to provide a good mix of action and comedy, which should be a match for the style of both Patlabor and Tiger & Bunny, although probably with more of an emphasis on Japanese heroes of the tokusatsu/Metal Hero variety.

I think the OP song sounds quite nice too, and I think the action sequence towards the end of the video seems rather promising.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Not bad. I'll grow on me. Sounds a bit like something you'd hear in a super hero show.
ShiroYo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:40 am Reply with quote
I still prefer Kimi No Shinwa and Sousei no Aquarion but the music isn't bad.

Also, this show seems to be taking itself too seriously. I think the best mecha shows are the goofy ones with their over-the-top special attacks, dramatic entries scenes, pilots with revealing suits and fusions with sexual innuendos.

At least they got the first step right, you should either have Jam Project or Akino singing your opening.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:14 am Reply with quote
Holy crap! That mecha work was extremely good. At a couple of moments it actually looked 2D.

Quote:
Also, this show seems to be taking itself too seriously. I think the best mecha shows are the goofy ones with their over-the-top special attacks, dramatic entries scenes, pilots with revealing suits and fusions with sexual innuendos.

Stuff like that can certainly be good, but there is an entire subgenre of mecha shows called "real-robot". And it would really piss off a LOT of people(myself included) if they just stopped catering to them and only made super-robot stuff.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:15 am Reply with quote
I can see already the Code Geass vibe just from the CG battle scene, also the plot setting reminds me with my childhood tokusatsu show, Cybercop.

Definitely gonna watch this anime.
jroa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:57 am Reply with quote
ShiroYo wrote:

Actually, the chief director is on the record stating that this new show will not be too serious, so your assumptions need to be recalibrated.

I don't know the specifics of the story yet, beyond the premise, but I have a feeling we will get a relatively relaxed atmosphere with a lot of jokes in the midst of the action sequences.

The trailer doesn't seem particularly dramatic or overly dark either.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:25 am Reply with quote
That is one of the most horrible opening songs I have ever heard. Holy crap.
ShiroYo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:19 am Reply with quote
jroa wrote:

Actually, the chief director is on the record stating that this new show will not be too serious, so your assumptions need to be recalibrated.

Oh, I can see that. This one looks more like a mash of the two genres mentioned here (not as serious and dark as in Code Geass but not goofy enough as the Super Robot shows that I enjoy).

relyat08 wrote:

Stuff like that can certainly be good, but there is an entire subgenre of mecha shows called "real-robot". And it would really piss off a LOT of people(myself included) if they just stopped catering to them and only made super-robot stuff.

I agree, I'm just not sure if a mix of those sub genres would appeal to both audiences or just piss everyone off. We shall see.
Nyren

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:38 pm Reply with quote
ShiroYo wrote:
jroa wrote:

Oh, I can see that. This one looks more like a mash of the two genres mentioned here (not as serious and dark as in Code Geass but not goofy enough as the Super Robot shows that I enjoy).

relyat08 wrote:

I agree, I'm just not sure if a mix of those sub genres would appeal to both audiences or just piss everyone off. We shall see.
Well, technically it already happened. And the response was... mixed, to say the least. Mobile Fighter G Gundam is part of the Gundam franchise which is the first real robot series. G Gundam however is more like a super robot show and so its kind of like the black sheep of the franchise. Fans were mixed on it.
Sobe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Definitely a thumbs down. I could deal with the opening for Aquarion Evol but this one with Akino and bless4 just doesn't do it for me. It looks like it matches the anime itself. However I'm hoping it doesn't because it's one of the few anime coming soon that isn't a complete letdown as far as avaialble ikemen and action.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1