• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crunchyroll Adds Samurai Pizza Cats Series With Dub to Catalog

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:20 am Reply with quote
I'm half tempted to finally watch this dub.
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:59 am Reply with quote
It doesn't look like they have the Japanese dub, normally I don't care but this was one of those shows where the people dubbing it didn't have a translation of the show and kind of made things up as they go along, Witch actually probably made this show so funny and memorable. But it's like the difference between Rower Rangers and Super Sentai and it would have been fun to watch both dubs back to back.
levonr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:27 am Reply with quote
I prefer the dub, its even more funny. The acting is really great too. Although the music is better in the original.
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:38 am Reply with quote
Awesome I loved this show as a kid and have been looking around to watch a good quality version of it. I loved the English dub it was hilarious. One thing I loved was supposedly the singer of the theme song was slightly drunk during the recording hence why he sounds tipsy during the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbIbZ5edWUU
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:36 am Reply with quote
Adored this show! All things considered, I think they did a good job overall of making things up to match the show.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I have a feeling I'll appreciate this dub more as an adult. As a kid, I was kind of weirded out by it.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Amara Tenoh wrote:
I'm half tempted to finally watch this dub.

If you mean "Watch as a culture-kitsch train wreck, to see what a generation kept being nostalgic about", feel free--
The original Kyatto Ninden Teyande was an addictively cute preschool MOTW show with lots of cartoony action, so it's not that painful, but as for the dub itself, you can only get through it by analyzing it as a historical relic of 90's mainstream syndication. (Even if you liked the DiC Sailor Moon or Nelvana's Cardcaptors.)

I can appreciate that they had to Make The Whole Crap Up--just like Funi's Sgt. Frog dub did when they got sick of the show and started pitching the scripts out the window--but they go to the faux-Bullwinkle "Fourth-wall gags" well out of desperation more often than a 90's Cartoon Network toon.
The Disney Channel Doraemon, this AIN'T.

Monster Hunter wrote:
Awesome I loved this show as a kid and have been looking around to watch a good quality version of it. I loved the English dub it was hilarious. One thing I loved was supposedly the singer of the theme song was slightly drunk during the recording hence why he sounds tipsy during the song.

Maybe, but also one gag that NO child in the 90's would have gotten (and that's not a compliment), is that since "the Big Cheese"--who is actually a fox in the original--was depicted as a foolish effeminate character in the original episodes, the dubbers got that past the censors by making him sound like Paul Lynde. (Get it, get it?--Y'know, Lynde, from Hollywood Squares, and Bewitched, and....ohh, ask your parents. Razz )
Sounds like the same VA doing the theme, and floating in and out of trying to do the imitation.

And that wouldn't be so bad if the original cute Teyande theme wasn't such an earworm to begin with:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvzTU5vF_lM

BTW, since we're only getting this because Crunchyroll gets whatever vintage gold Discotek re-releases, and the SPC SD-BD is about to hit shelves in two weeks, does the Discotek disk include the sub Teyande tracks, or just the dub show?
Thought I heard rumors of both, but Discotek's site says only the dub (different edits), and no two retail sites have the info correctly.
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I jokingly mention shows like Samurai Pizza Cats and Street Sharks as examples of how silly TV cartoons were in the 1990s when I was a child.

So I am assuming Crunchyroll is streaming this show ironically? I should watch to check if I remember any of the scenes.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:26 pm Reply with quote
The Pizza Cats Fan Club Oath!

"The Pizza Cats are Samurai, and I'd like to note,
their antics take your breath away, like furballs in your throat!
We kittens are a special breed, we'd never call retreat.
Whenever Big Cheese knocks us down, we land upon our feet!
So hail to thee, O Pizza Cats! Please ring your little bell!
Although you may be pen and ink, we know you'll fight like ---
PIZZA CATS!!!"

Oh gosh, just loved this show as a kid, the humor was just plain wacky. I picked up the Japanese version from Discotek a few years back and it's actually pretty good too, the show definitely is one of those mid-90's charmers, from that cheerful, light-hearted, genki era of anime, really loved it.
levonr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Adored this show! All things considered, I think they did a good job overall of making things up to match the show.

That's why I greatly enjoyed the dub, it still matched the show even though it wasn't accurate. Its not like they took a serious show and added pointless comedy to it. There's a lot of breaking the fourth wall in the dub but its in the original as well. Both the original & dub knew this show was just silly.

Usually kids anime dubs annoy me but the actors in Samurai Pizza Cats don't. Really it seemed more like they were making a dub that they like over what kids will like.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:32 am Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
I prefer the dub, its even more funny. The acting is really great too. Although the music is better in the original.

usually, though i did liked the english dub OP back when it showed in the 80s. it was one of the few series shown by saban other than power rangers that i watched back then considering everything else was bad. especially digimon.

and at least this series is more entertaining than the original sub version of ghost stories which was so bad that ADV had to pull a super milky chan and give the english dub a complete rewrite where it was more adult oriented.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
levonr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:39 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

usually, though i did liked the english dub OP

I really like the OP & ED for the dub as well, I watched them about every time. Funny catchy songs.
I was referring more about the BGM. I still liked the dub music, it works. However the original music is composed by one of the very best, Kenji Kawai.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1