• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: One-Punch Man GN 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:36 pm Reply with quote
It is a pity about Puri Prisoner, the more I actually think about it the more bothersome it is. I initially thought he was another character to parody the usual anime gay character that'd occasionally show up in battle manga but again this is one of those cases that doesn't really work when you seriously think about the implications. It's a shame.

That said though I do still love the way this series does it's gleeful satire. I'm not sure if I'm ever the only one whose felt this but this feels like the kind of satire that realizes it's dumber parts but over all enjoys what it is more than anything. When I think of series that are more focused towards deconstruction, there's typically an air of "This is dumb and you should feel stupid for ever liking it." kind of vibe that sort of rubs me the wrong way. Seeing One Punch Man satirize in a fashion that feels less like it's trying to mock the reader for having such expectations is a great breath of fresh air for me.
meruru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Finally, a review of One Punch Man that really seems to GET the satire and humor. So many of those I've seen seem to think it's a straight up shounen fighting series, when it's really not. Pretty much nailed what I would say about it.

I haven't gotten yet to Puri Puri Prisoner in the manga, but although normally I react very negatively to homophobic elements, Puri Puri Prisoner didn't bother me in the anime so much. Probably because the character was just so ridiculously over the top stupid, and also it sounds like the anime might not have focused on the really negative parts as much. But I definitely get the reviewer's discomfort, and I'd point it out the same if I were reviewing.

I fear it may be one of those cases of cultural differences in humor, as there's been plenty of straight characters also guilty of sexual assault for laughs too. Miroku from Inuyasha being a rather glaring example. If so, it's one of those uncomfortable cases where I still wish it wasn't so.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Prisoner is a piss take on the mostly fictionalised and entirely blown out of proportion 'prison rape' trope. The funny twist is he never actually assaults his fellow prison inmates in overtly sexual way, mearly snog's them a bit.

In japans increasingly anti-LGBT society it also rings of a bit of a piss take of that, seeing as "getting grabby with men" doesn't nessicarily imply sexual assault and Prisoner has stated several time's he's in a relationship, so it could be he was simply sent to prison for a public show of affection with his other half.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Hawkmonger wrote:
Prisoner has stated several time's he's in a relationship, so it could be he was simply sent to prison for a public show of affection with his other half.

That's interesting - it hasn't been stated in the manga volume. (I assume it's been in the anime?) I'll keep an eye out for that in volume five.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Hawkmonger wrote:
Prisoner has stated several time's he's in a relationship, so it could be he was simply sent to prison for a public show of affection with his other half.

That's interesting - it hasn't been stated in the manga volume. (I assume it's been in the anime?) I'll keep an eye out for that in volume five.

I seem to remember it happened on at least two occasions.

spoiler[First was when he ripped his sweater after powering up to fight the Deep Sea King, stating his boyfriend had knitted it for him. Second was in an Omake when asked what he was doing for New Years he stated "Spending it with my boyfriend". I think their might have been one more but I forget, his openly flirtatious attitude to Stinger, Lightning Max and Genos seem's to be more for fun than actual attraction.]
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

In the anime, he unintentionally shreds his sweater by flexing his muscles, one that he says his boyfriend made. That's about all we have on Prisoner; the subs say that he's in prison for "attacking" attractive men, which could go a lot of different ways.

EDIT: Oops, looks like someone already stated that.
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Hawkmonger wrote:
Prisoner is a piss take on the mostly fictionalised and entirely blown out of proportion 'prison rape' trope. The funny twist is he never actually assaults his fellow prison inmates in overtly sexual way, mearly snog's them a bit.

In japans increasingly anti-LGBT society it also rings of a bit of a piss take of that, seeing as "getting grabby with men" doesn't nessicarily imply sexual assault and Prisoner has stated several time's he's in a relationship, so it could be he was simply sent to prison for a public show of affection with his other half.

Yes, I did think that that is the case too, however Prisoner's overall portrayal hinders him more than helping him get the point done. Prison thematic aside, he is both the hated scary homosexual stereotype AND the old yet sometimes succesful gay rapist joke (this one applies for both westerners and Japanese audience, because there is a broad audience who does get the laugh off this jokes)
FoRealDoe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Are people really this soft these days? It is funny and im not offended one bit by it, its a fictional story meant for entertainment, not everything is a platform for people to preach their beliefs. Also, claiming it is a completely false stereotype is off base. Men do in fact get raped in prison all the time especially in prisons holding people there for life, not always because they just really like men sometimes as a respect thing and other reasons. I am sure me and majority of other people laugh our butts off at it and the opinion of a few overly sensitive people does not matter anyway.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:18 pm Reply with quote
^^^^

Obvious troll is obvious.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1