• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2016 Pokémon Film's Plot, Title Revealed With New Mythical Pokémon Magearna

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:15 am Reply with quote
Nice!
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:37 am Reply with quote
I was wondering if they would ever do a mechanical Pokémon by which I mean one that is a robot and not artificial created like Mew 2. Wink
RoverTX

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:44 am Reply with quote
The debate now is if Magearna is gen 7, comparable to Victini with gen 5, or an addition for "Pokemon Z".
Freyanne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:55 am Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
The debate now is if Magearna is gen 7, comparable to Victini with gen 5, or an addition for "Pokemon Z".
I have a feeling it's a Gen 7 pokemon. I can't imagine Magearna being a Pokemon Z character, unless it got the "Spiky Eared Pichu" treatment, which if so, would be such a dumb thing, imo. Plus if that's the case, then Magearna couldn't even be transfered back to a previous Gen 6 game since I doubt that Nintendo would patch XY ORAS to include her in.
RoverTX

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:08 am Reply with quote
Freyanne wrote:
RoverTX wrote:
I have a feeling it's a Gen 7 pokemon. I can't imagine Magearna being a Pokemon Z character, unless it got the "Spiky Eared Pichu" treatment, which if so, would be such a dumb thing, imo. Plus if that's the case, then Magearna couldn't even be transfered back to a previous Gen 6 game since I doubt that Nintendo would patch XY ORAS to include her in.

Shaymin Giratina, and Kyurem all had forms that couldn't be transferred backwards. Not to mention the new mega stones being unable to be transferred. Also given that it is Mythical you wouldn't see it in an online competition anyway, which clears up a lot of issues.
Freyanne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:51 am Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
Freyanne wrote:
RoverTX wrote:

Shaymin Giratina, and Kyurem all had forms that couldn't be transferred backwards. Not to mention the new mega stones being unable to be transferred. Also given that it is Mythical you wouldn't see it in an online competition anyway, which clears up a lot of issues.
That is true, but you can still transfer the pokemon themselves (without their forms) at least into another game. And with the ORAS mega forms, it makes sense because they aren't programmed in XY, and they are just basically a new form. Along with how you can't transfer items anyway (iirc - I think you can't have items on your Pokemon in PokemonBank, right?) , so that wasnt much of an issue to me.

When I mentioned Spiky Eared Pichu, I meant it in a "have an special/event Pokemon that not only can't be traded online (which makes sense, considering the story event), but can't even leave or transfer from your game file/cart" way. With that Pichu, at least it's just a special version of it. But because of it's unique situation, in a way it kinda made that event worthless/pointless. If Magearna, a new Pokemon, were to be in Pokemon Z, I just hope they wouldn't pull that SEPichu mess where it can't leave the cart/file. Especially if by some chance they made it an event Pokemon for that game.

I dunno, I guess to me Magearna being a new Gen 6 Pokemon wouldn't make much sense if we get a Pokemon Z game, since it would only be able to be transfered from Z onwards. Since Gen 7 is in the future, I feel like Magerna would be this gen's "sneak peek new Pokemon from the next Gen games", like how Donphan, Marill, Lucario, Zoroark, ect. were in the past show and movies.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:54 am Reply with quote
Freyanne wrote:
I dunno, I guess to me Magearna being a new Gen 6 Pokemon wouldn't make much sense if we get a Pokemon Z game, since it would only be able to be transfered from Z onwards. Since Gen 7 is in the future, I feel like Magerna would be this gen's "sneak peek new Pokemon from the next Gen games", like how Donphan, Marill, Lucario, Zoroark, ect. were in the past show and movies.

Remember that this gen is the first time game patching has been available. Wasn't Hoopa's big form patched in, too? Certainly, they didn't patch in the mega stones, so there's still a chance they might not, but like B2W2, they sometimes do things unexpected and give everyone a little surprise. The late/lack of Z game announcement could possibly be due to the wait for movie information if it isn't waiting for a promotional tie in from the anime itself.

It's pretty up in the air and I'd mostly just suggest people not assume one way or the other.
Exalted Incarnate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:35 am Reply with quote
Pokemon is getting too many legendary and mythical Pokemon, I hope they will stop it soon, there was a time when a rare Pokemon was actually rare...there world isn't getting any bigger...
ETX

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:52 am Reply with quote
There's no way Gen VII will be revealed so early when the anime for XY/Z has at least another 2 years worth of content. The new games are always announced towards the end of the current anime's run.

People have been suspecting we'll have Gen 6.5 where Z will introduce more Pokemon that are based in Southern Kalos, which si where people think the AZOTH Kingdom could be.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:39 am Reply with quote
Somehow I think the Gear Pokémon (Klink, Klang, Klinklang) from Generation V might be somewhat related to Magearna... Anyhow, I love Magearna's medieval-themed design. Smile
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:57 am Reply with quote
Exalted Incarnate wrote:
Pokemon is getting too many legendary and mythical Pokemon, I hope they will stop it soon, there was a time when a rare Pokemon was actually rare...

Ummmm they still are even with the number of legendary Pokemon increasing over the years. Not everyone will be able to show up to their nearest gamestop for a event legendary (which I found out the hard way are limited in availability).

And with people asking for equally more rare/impossible to obtain PKMN over the GTS that insures even further that you won't get the rare Pokemon you'll want or need to complete the national dex.
Wooga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:56 am Reply with quote
Anyone else notice that it can transform into a pokeball? Looks like its main body slides into its dress part and the two ears are the last segments of the pokeball. Given that she has a gear hat and volcano on is a steam Pokemon, looks like we can look forward to a steampunk Pokemon movie
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:18 pm Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:

It definitely is. Pokemon has done this in the past, where the final movie for that generation features a pokemon from the next generation. For instance Lucario was in the final Hoenn movie, and Zoroark was in the final Sinnoh movie.

It would make sense for this thing to be in the final XYZ movie, and then a gen 7 reveal in the fall of 2016.
Arakiba

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Exalted Incarnate wrote:
Pokemon is getting too many legendary and mythical Pokemon, I hope they will stop it soon, there was a time when a rare Pokemon was actually rare...there world isn't getting any bigger...

If anything, this generation has really pulled back on the legendaries.

Gen 1: 5
Gen 2: 6
Gen 3: 10
Gen 4: 14
Gen 5: 13
Gen 6: 7 (if counting Magearna)

So the complaint seems a little silly this generation. They've really pulled back.

Anyway, I think Magearna is Gen 6. As noted, this is the first gen with patching available, there's some hints toward a connection with it from ORAS and there's a number of areas in Kalos that could be used.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:51 pm Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
I was wondering if they would ever do a mechanical Pokémon by which I mean one that is a robot and not artificial created like Mew 2. :wink:

In a way, robotic Pokémon have existed from the start, with Magnemite and Magneton in Generation I.

Juno016 wrote:
Remember that this gen is the first time game patching has been available. Wasn't Hoopa's big form patched in, too? Certainly, they didn't patch in the mega stones, so there's still a chance they might not, but like B2W2, they sometimes do things unexpected and give everyone a little surprise. The late/lack of Z game announcement could possibly be due to the wait for movie information if it isn't waiting for a promotional tie in from the anime itself.

It's pretty up in the air and I'd mostly just suggest people not assume one way or the other.

What makes it really up in the air is that Generation VI has done both patching to make later-revealed Pokémon compatible (like Hoopa Unbound, as mentioned earlier) and having existing in-game assets for Pokémon meant to be top secret (like Volcanion). You even have these sneak-peek Pokémon in the video games too. Bonsly and Munchlax were in Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness.

The fact is that they're willing to add in new forms of Pokémon for every new version of the game in the same generation, however. They're doing that with Zygarde for Z.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Somehow I think the Gear Pokémon (Klink, Klang, Klinklang) from Generation V might be somewhat related to Magearna... Anyhow, I love Magearna's medieval-themed design. :)

I doubt it, though on the basis that people thought Sigilyph was a super-Unown when it was revealed to be completely unrelated.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2