• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CAPCOM Develops New Mario Party Game for Arcades

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:48 am Reply with quote
I'm always down for some Mario Party!
Soaringfalco1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:04 am Reply with quote
If they brought arcade games of that quality here in America that could help bring more interest in arcades, I'm just tired of console gaming honestly.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:07 am Reply with quote
Arcades now have to contend with mobile gaming, which fulfills the time-killing purposes arcade games used to have but is more convenient and more approachable (though not necessarily cheaper, but it's not obvious).

Places like Round 1, Dave & Buster's, and maybe even Chuck E. Cheese's might import this one though. The Mario Kart Arcade GP machines are at practically every location of theirs, plus they're at a lot of bowling alleys, movie theaters, other pizza places, and shopping malls. I can see this one getting mass-adoption in North America too.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:00 am Reply with quote
What people might not know is that there are already Mario machines like this in arcades in Japan... But they're in the gambling section. This honestly looks like a medal-exchange gambling machine to me. And trust me, you do not want to play those. It's just another version of pachinko.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:25 am Reply with quote
Ah, if it's a gambling machine, it'll have to deal with a whole host of other laws. Those laws completely killed off bingo machines in the United States and Canada, for one, and those have a greater skill component than pachinko. (Bingo machines are still huge in Belgium though. Maybe we can find these Mario Party machines imported there.)
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:12 am Reply with quote
Falco23 wrote:
If they brought arcade games of that quality here in America that could help bring more interest in arcades, I'm just tired of console gaming honestly.

You're tired of console gamng yet want Arcades to make a comeback in the states?........color me astonished.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:55 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
What people might not know is that there are already Mario machines like this in arcades in Japan... But they're in the gambling section. This honestly looks like a medal-exchange gambling machine to me. And trust me, you do not want to play those. It's just another version of pachinko.

What I've seen of medal machines is you don't get your cash back when you buy them, so how is it gambling?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:20 am Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:

What I've seen of medal machines is you don't get your cash back when you buy them, so how is it gambling?

Did some more research because I'm not a gambler.

Well, it's gambling to play other medal machines. Gambling with no real profit lol
http://www.sitsam.com/random/medal-games-dont-fool-around-in-japan/

Here's another version of the game with Mario:

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/25919/mario-themed-medal-game-arrives-in-arcades-across-japan
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1