Forum - View topic
NEWS: Doukyusei -Classmates- Boys-Love Anime Film Earns 158 Million Yen




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Alabaster Spectrum



Joined: 02 Sep 2015
Posts: 528
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:04 am Reply with quote
It's really bizarre that they're treating this like some monumental achievement but then again that's typical Aniplex marketing for you. Even when it's just a meh result they celebrate like they rocked the world. One of many reasons I can't stand them and just see them as an outfit that only cares about money. Every press release, every promise, every statement they utter is always about money and how amazing they think they are. Oh and also well give you some random free shit which is always a poster if you come and give us more money, can't forget that part of the press packages. Just ridiculous. Rolling Eyes

Also charging $15 a ticket for a 60 minute movie when the average feature length film in the U.S is at an all time high at $8.50 (almost half the price and people are complaining about it here) is pretty pale and some blatant price gouging so really nothing to right home about here. Simple whaling of exploitable demographics as usual from Aniplex.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
crosswithyou



Joined: 15 Dec 2007
Posts: 2809
Location: California
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:22 am Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
Also charging $15 a ticket for a 60 minute movie when the average feature length film in the U.S is at an all time high at $8.50 (almost half the price and people are complaining about it here) is pretty pale and some blatant price gouging so really nothing to right home about here. Simple whaling of exploitable demographics as usual from Aniplex.

Wow, someone needs to calm down.

Movie tickets in Japan do not cost $8.50 so your argument that they're price gouging has no grounds here in Japan. The typical movie ticket in Japan is about 1800 yen, and because this is a 60-minute feature, it's 1500 yen. Non-Aniplex anime movie releases are usually around this price as well.

I'd say ~$1.3 million USD for an animated BL film in just over 3 weeks is pretty amazing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Alabaster Spectrum



Joined: 02 Sep 2015
Posts: 528
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:47 am Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
Also charging $15 a ticket for a 60 minute movie when the average feature length film in the U.S is at an all time high at $8.50 (almost half the price and people are complaining about it here) is pretty pale and some blatant price gouging so really nothing to right home about here. Simple whaling of exploitable demographics as usual from Aniplex.

Wow, someone needs to calm down.

Movie tickets in Japan do not cost $8.50 so your argument that they're price gouging has no grounds here in Japan. The typical movie ticket in Japan is about 1800 yen, and because this is a 60-minute feature, it's 1500 yen. Non-Aniplex anime movie releases are usually around this price as well.

I'd say ~$1.3 million USD for an animated BL film in just over 3 weeks is pretty amazing.


Well you'll excuse me if I don't get the party hats and streamers out and join the celebration with you. Maybe years ago it'd be someting worth blinking twice at, but it's still just simple gouging to me and really in an era where Fujoshi and BL fans are some of the most lucrative whales to court I don't think you can really say it's something special, they just spend that kind of money under the right circumstances now and more and more outfits that care mainly about money are scrambling to get their attention and money.

Call it cynical but that's just how I see all this commercialism myself, cynical cash grabbing. I'm sorry if this offends you, it's really not my intention and I want to make it clear that I have absolutely nothing against the BL genre, same sex relationships or anything like that. None of my comments are politically oriented, I just am tired of exploitation and self-congratulatory marketing practices about profit margins that have been creeping into the industries mindset period as if companies are achieving anything other than lining their own pockets.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FMAvatard



Joined: 24 Jun 2009
Posts: 180
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:51 am Reply with quote
Oh man it'd be amazing if they gave these out in the U.S. theatres, too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
crosswithyou



Joined: 15 Dec 2007
Posts: 2809
Location: California
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:04 am Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
Call it cynical but that's just how I see all this commercialism myself, cynical cash grabbing.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but it seems to me like you're just ranting on Aniplex just because it's Aniplex and completely ignoring the fact that these prices are normal for even non-Aniplex productions. If you feel that this is "price gouging" then your argument would sound less biased if you just dropped the word "Aniplex" and criticized the industry as a whole.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
relyat08



Joined: 20 Mar 2013
Posts: 4125
Location: Northern Virginia
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:27 am Reply with quote
I'm curious what the budget was on this film. Based on the visuals, I'd guess $1.5 million USD or thereabout. So, yeah, making back the cost of a super niche BL movie in 3 weeks is pretty great, I'd say. It's all gravy from here on out! Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Rivailloli



Joined: 05 Jun 2013
Posts: 561
Location: Virginia
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:51 am Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
It's really bizarre that they're treating this like some monumental achievement but then again that's typical Aniplex marketing for you. Even when it's just a meh result they celebrate like they rocked the world. One of many reasons I can't stand them and just see them as an outfit that only cares about money. Every press release, every promise, every statement they utter is always about money and how amazing they think they are. Oh and also well give you some random free shit which is always a poster if you come and give us more money, can't forget that part of the press packages. Just ridiculous. Rolling Eyes


Call down, brah.

For a niche BL film, yeah, this is pretty damn good. High Speed! (which was attached to a way more popular show) didn't even make this much it's opening few weeks and as far as I'm aware the Sekaiichi Hatsukoi movie did not make this much either. So yeah, it's an achievement.

You also have a ton of over-exaggerations littered in your post. It's not that bad, man. Calm yourself.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
futuresoon



Joined: 08 Jun 2015
Posts: 62
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:01 pm Reply with quote
How many BL feature-length anime are produced, anyway? Standing out in a small genre is still standing out, and in a genre as limited and criticized as this one, any sort of success is noteworthy.

Maybe it helps that this looks vaguely respectable? I haven't seen it myself, though I plan to once it's in theaters, but it seems more like a regular romantic drama than typical trashy fujoshi bait fare. (I say this as someone who reads and watches plenty of this.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
crosswithyou



Joined: 15 Dec 2007
Posts: 2809
Location: California
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:14 pm Reply with quote
futuresoon wrote:
Maybe it helps that this looks vaguely respectable? I haven't seen it myself, though I plan to once it's in theaters, but it seems more like a regular romantic drama than typical trashy fujoshi bait fare. (I say this as someone who reads and watches plenty of this.)

I know at least people who are not into BL but like this series, so they were excited for the movie even before it came out. Last time I watched the movie, there were a small handful of guys in the theater, and at least one who seemed to be there on his own.

I hope you enjoy it when you go watch. This has the potential to appeal to both those who like BL and those who just like a good romantic story.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group