Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Comic Ranking, March 7-13 [2016-03-16]


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Henshinbeetle



Joined: 01 Jan 2016
Posts: 61
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Bleach still selling! Plus it got a third more than Toriko, still a sore spot that >_>.

Anyway, as expected the usual guns leading the vanguard. I do wonder if Gintama's final arc announcement and such will affect it sales. Still a solid number though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
theNightster



Joined: 14 Mar 2014
Posts: 1159
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:48 pm Reply with quote
people claim no reads Bleach anymore, Bleach makes in top 5 best seller this week. Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CrowLia



Joined: 24 Feb 2012
Posts: 5288
Location: Mexico
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Henshinbeetle wrote:
Bleach still selling! Plus it got a third more than Toriko, still a sore spot that >_>.



Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that, in spite of all the pimping it got from WSJ, Toriko has not once surpassed Bleach in sales, not even when it had its anime boost. I believe the only instance in which it ranks above Bleach is in the "Best sellers by series" because Toriko tends to have more volumes out per year than Bleach
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
bigivel



Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 536
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:14 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
people claim no reads Bleach anymore, Bleach makes in top 5 best seller this week. Razz


No, people say that Bleach had a major decline in sales, meaning that a ton of people is leaving the series.
This volume is selling less than previous ones, and the same happened to every other previous volume in Bleach for quite sometime.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Somewhere



Joined: 27 Sep 2013
Posts: 338
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Correct, Toriko's peak never beat Bleach's nadir. It never exploded, basically. Huge disappointment relative to the effort spent pushing it.
Also, wow, this is the first time since Toriko's anime started that a volume couldn't hit 200k after its 2nd week. (vol 36 came veeeery close with 200,033 after its 2nd week)
It's an open question if Toriko has declined to the point where survey results are relevant to its fate again. Nura was actually selling a bit better than this when it got shunted off to Jump NEXT for a mercy killing.

And it just hit me that the Souma spinoff starring side character Shinomiya outsells Sesuji wo Pin!. Shame. I like my Souma, but it's not like L'etoile has the main draw of Tosh's art. And Sesuji wo Pin! is a great read.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Henshinbeetle



Joined: 01 Jan 2016
Posts: 61
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:50 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Henshinbeetle wrote:
Bleach still selling! Plus it got a third more than Toriko, still a sore spot that >_>.



Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that, in spite of all the pimping it got from WSJ, Toriko has not once surpassed Bleach in sales, not even when it had its anime boost. I believe the only instance in which it ranks above Bleach is in the "Best sellers by series" because Toriko tends to have more volumes out per year than Bleach


Yup, not saying Toriko shouldn't have got marketed but it got shoved down our throats up to a ridiculous level. It was insane while Bleach (a show that really made them a lot of money and overseas attention) got thrown aside to make place even though Toriko hadn't proved itself yet. Felt like they ditched an older loyal dog for a new pimping model who may had spunk but never really backed their bark.


Last edited by Henshinbeetle on Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CrowLia



Joined: 24 Feb 2012
Posts: 5288
Location: Mexico
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:06 pm Reply with quote
^Yeah, that's what I meant, I clearly remember Toriko replacing Ichigo in all of WSJ's "Top 3" pictures back then, and they were giving Toriko a lot of color spreads and opening pages (Bleach hardly ever gets them these days) but in spite of that, Toriko never really pulled ahead. It felt like a rather dickish and ungrateful move from WSJ to completely turn their backs on Bleach just because it lost some popularity, so I'm honestly glad it never quite worked out. I may not be a fan of what Bleach has come to (although the last couple chapters have been pretty neat), but the way WSJ has completely let the series out to die always did seem awful and undeserved
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
bigivel



Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 536
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Common Mistake. People talking of volumes and Magazine like they are the same thing. They aren't. The position that Toriko got in the magazine is unrelated with how it sold, specially in comparison with other titles!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Black Thunder 6



Joined: 08 Sep 2015
Posts: 128
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Henshinbeetle wrote:


Yup, not saying Toriko shouldn't have got marketed but it got shoved down our throats up to a ridiculous level. It was insane while Bleach (a show that really made them a lot of money and overseas attention) got thrown aside to make place even though Toriko hadn't proved itself yet. Felt like they ditched an older loyal dog for a new pimping model who may had spunk but never really backed their bark.


Bleach wasn't "thrown aside" it was steadily losing readership since the Winter War arc and nowadays its selling less than half of its peak sales from 2009 as well as has become a bottom dweller in the Jump rankings. It didn't have the stability and brand loyalty of Naruto and One Piece and its getting beaten by newer titles like Haikyuu, AssClass, Souma and BnHA, I'm not sure why people rag on Toriko for not selling better than it like it proves anything other than Shiuesha's campaign didn't take off and not due to its quality all the more ironic considering how Bleach has fallen in that department. And before you bring up the anime's cancellation that was doing well either hence why they pulled the plug on it not because they had "caught up" because as we've seen with Naruto Pierrot doesn't care if the source of material is finished they will still do fillers for as long as the product is profitable.



{Edit: Please refrain from excessive quoting.. I edited your post for you. ~ Psycho 101}
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Henshinbeetle



Joined: 01 Jan 2016
Posts: 61
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Black Thunder 6 wrote:


Bleach wasn't "thrown aside" it was steadily losing readership since the Winter War arc and nowadays its selling less than half of its peak sales from 2009 as well as has become a bottom dweller in the Jump rankings. It didn't have the stability and brand loyalty of Naruto and One Piece and its getting beaten by newer titles like Haikyuu, AssClass, Souma and BnHA, I'm not sure why people rag on Toriko for not selling better than it like it proves anything other than Shiuesha's campaign didn't take off and not due to its quality all the more ironic considering how Bleach has fallen in that department. And before you bring up the anime's cancellation that was doing well either hence why they pulled the plug on it not because they had "caught up" because as we've seen with Naruto Pierrot doesn't care if the source of material is finished they will still do fillers for as long as the product is profitable.


No one is blaming the latest top titles here, dont know where you got that idea from. But its a fact that Toriko got Bleach spot light in the magazine ans marketin (Heck it got paired with freaking One piece on numerous occasions) but failed to even get close to Bleach top.

That is what we are discussing not whatever the current class is selling and if they are worthy of the spotlight.



{Edit: Please refrain from excessive quoting.. I edited your post for you. ~ Psycho 101}
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CrowLia



Joined: 24 Feb 2012
Posts: 5288
Location: Mexico
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:57 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
Common Mistake. People talking of volumes and Magazine like they are the same thing. They aren't. The position that Toriko got in the magazine is unrelated with how it sold, specially in comparison with other titles!


I both agree and disagree. While it's true that what's good for Shueisha (Bleach's volume sales) isn't necessarily good for WSJ (Bleach's rank) it does seem rather counterproductive for the magazine to completely abandon a series that is still bringing such a load of cash to its parent publishing company. I mean, it's obvious at this point Bleach won't be cancelled, it's been tanking in the ranks for god knows how long and literally every series that's been below it consistently has gotten the ax. I'd even dare call it "The Bleach Line": if your serialization is consistently faring worse than Bleach, you should be ready for bad news. Even if Bleach is doing nothing for WSJ at this point, they're stuck with it because Shueisha is still making good money out of it. One would think it'd be better if they tried to make the best out of it, rather than continue to pretend Bleach doesn't exist (still no word on any 15th anniversary commemoration!)

Toriko isn't doing that great in the rankings as of late, it seems to be stuck in the bottom 10. The shift in marketing back when Bleach started losing popularity was extremely evident to everyone who was following the magazine at the time, which is why so many of us remain frustrated and bitter about it. Yes, Bleach wasn't as popular as it once had been, but it was way too obvious that the magazine altogether gave up on it, and tried to replace it with its most promising frontrunner. The fact that said promising frontrunner never quite filled in for Bleach's shoes makes it all the more frustrating that WSJ treated Blech so poorly.

It's still worth noting that, even after Soma's anime boost, it's still barely catching on to Bleach's sales, and that Bleach remains one of WSJ top 5 sellers (OP, AssClass, HQ, Bleach and Soma). It's likely HeroAca will surpass it with the anime boost, but it's still a commendable feat for a series that even it's host magazine has pretty much forsaken
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
theNightster



Joined: 14 Mar 2014
Posts: 1159
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Henshinbeetle wrote:


No one is blaming the latest top titles here, dont know where you got that idea from. But its a fact that Toriko got Bleach spot light in the magazine ans marketin (Heck it got paired with freaking One piece on numerous occasions) but failed to even get close to Bleach top.

That is what we are discussing not whatever the current class is selling and if they are worthy of the spotlight.
personally I say the reason why Toriko was being heavily marketed was mainly because Eiichiro Oda's friend made a manga (which is still a bullshit reason to screw Bleach over like that, it deserves at least some anniversary celebration right now) now a days it doesn't seem to matter much, like Ichigo, Toriko isn't even the top characters in the cross over covers anymore being replaced by korosensei and the kid from my hero academia(have not read the series so I don't know his name)



{Edit: Please refrain from excessive quoting.. I edited your post for you. ~ Psycho 101}
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bigivel



Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 536
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:59 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
bigivel wrote:
Common Mistake. People talking of volumes and Magazine like they are the same thing. They aren't. The position that Toriko got in the magazine is unrelated with how it sold, specially in comparison with other titles!


I both agree and disagree. While it's true that what's good for Shueisha (Bleach's volume sales) isn't necessarily good for WSJ (Bleach's rank) it does seem rather counterproductive for the magazine to completely abandon a series that is still bringing such a load of cash to its parent publishing company. I mean, it's obvious at this point Bleach won't be cancelled, it's been tanking in the ranks for god knows how long and literally every series that's been below it consistently has gotten the ax. I'd even dare call it "The Bleach Line": if your serialization is consistently faring worse than Bleach, you should be ready for bad news. Even if Bleach is doing nothing for WSJ at this point, they're stuck with it because Shueisha is still making good money out of it. One would think it'd be better if they tried to make the best out of it, rather than continue to pretend Bleach doesn't exist (still no word on any 15th anniversary commemoration!)

Toriko isn't doing that great in the rankings as of late, it seems to be stuck in the bottom 10. The shift in marketing back when Bleach started losing popularity was extremely evident to everyone who was following the magazine at the time, which is why so many of us remain frustrated and bitter about it. Yes, Bleach wasn't as popular as it once had been, but it was way too obvious that the magazine altogether gave up on it, and tried to replace it with its most promising frontrunner. The fact that said promising frontrunner never quite filled in for Bleach's shoes makes it all the more frustrating that WSJ treated Blech so poorly.

It's still worth noting that, even after Soma's anime boost, it's still barely catching on to Bleach's sales, and that Bleach remains one of WSJ top 5 sellers (OP, AssClass, HQ, Bleach and Soma). It's likely HeroAca will surpass it with the anime boost, but it's still a commendable feat for a series that even it's host magazine has pretty much forsaken


"Magazine completely abandon a series" -> "Bleach won't be cancelled"
So they in fact didn't abandon any series.

"Bleach is doing nothing for WSJ at this point" -> "make the best of it, rather than continue to pretend Bleach doesn't exist"
If Bleach is doing nothing for the magazine what is making best of it than not to spend unnecessary money on it? Do you really believe they should throw money to the garbage, just because is Bleach?

Toriko situation never had nothing to do with Bleach from the beginning, people are mainly hurt because their loved Bleach got placed to the side, but what they don't understand is that what placed Bleach in the side was itself.

About Toriko promotion and popularity. What people don't understand is that Toriko's authors wasn't a newbie in Jump with Toriko, in reality he already was a mega popular author in the magazine. Is previous title was released 1 issue before One Piece, yep! One issue before One Piece, and both One Piece and the series(leader Den Takechi) were huge phenomenons since the beginning.
Being majorly a comedy the series took a little longer to get an anime, it still got a OVA in Jump Festa(that at the time had another name), but due to the author's pedophilia polemic the series got to be discontinued.

So yep in the beginning Toriko got a special treatment for being for a mega popular author of the magazine, the same way it happened with Togashi HunterxHunter.
In terms of rankings it was highly popular and that showed in the Color Pages and Cover Pages.
When the anime started, Toei Animation and Shueisha took advantage of Shimabukuro (Toriko's author) being an close college of Oda(in terms of starting serialization at the same time) and both series being in the animation studio, and the stories had a relatable world that could mix easily, and so they did the specials(the manga and the 1st episode of Toriko). Note though that didn't cost anything more, this was just like the Hinomaru Zumou with Kuroko no Basket special.


That is it. It had nothing to do with Bleach nor with how both series sell. The series was from a popular mangaka, had extremely high rankings and the author had a really strong connection with the most famous mangaka of the magazine. Of course it would be amazing if Toriko got an immense boost in sales and sold more, but that is up to the volume buyers. A lot of people don't buy the volumes, but many people buy and read the magazine. In fact is estimated that 10 Million people read the magazine and 2.6 Million buy the magazine every week(around 30.6 Million copies both in 3 months), while the best manga in the magazine sells around 4 Million copies in 3 months.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bigivel



Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 536
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:06 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:

personally I say the reason why Toriko was being heavily marketed was mainly because Eiichiro Oda's friend made a manga (which is still a bullshit reason to screw Bleach over like that, it deserves at least some anniversary celebration right now)


Toriko author is Kubo veteran mangaka in Weekly Shonen Jump. He isn't just Eiichiro Oda's friend, but he is Oda's friend because he started his career at the exact same time and place as Oda's and he got a similar popularity!(though One Piece is the most successfully series ever in the magazine).
Seikimatsu Leader den Takeshi! Toriko's author first series started 1 issue before One Piece!

Also Toriko has a similar world to One Piece, was in the same Magazine and was adapted by the same animation studio!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Psycho 101
Moderator


Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Posts: 14692
Location: The Bannered Mare
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:24 am Reply with quote
I'd appreciate it if everyone could watch the massive excessive quoting. Just had to edit 3 posts with a lot of it. Thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group