• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Macross Delta Anime's 1st Blu-ray/DVD Listed With English Subtitles

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:55 am Reply with quote
I wasn't expecting this but hell yes a legal way to watch the new Marcross Anime hopefully the later volumes also have an English subtitle opinion as well. Cool
DragonSpikeXIII

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:14 am Reply with quote
That's really cool...

...as long as the subs aren't by the same people who did the ones for the Macross Plus Movie Edition BD. I'll wait and see.
Marzan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:34 am Reply with quote
Excellent news. I'm hoping they get a decent subber. The Frontier movie's were subtitled much better than Macross Plus.

Certain company that shall not be named is probably crying blood over this bit news. Woudn't be surprised if they tried to block this in some way or another. Their legal department is the only creative thing there anyways.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:37 am Reply with quote
Welp, that's one way to get around localization issues. Anime hyper I hope the subs are good for folks who wanted to see this legally. Very Happy
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:44 am Reply with quote
Not interested unless I can watch it legally through streaming first and its good enough imo to make me want to buy.

If this series cant be licensed for a simulcast then this effort seems like a waste of time. Dont see many people wanting to spend hundreds of dollars on what would be considered a "blind buy" title. For those who arent fluent in japanese of course.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:20 am Reply with quote
Giri giri eye, ikenai borderline..

GODDAMN THIS SONG! IT WON'T STOP PLAYING IN MY HEAD!!!!!!!!
Marzan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:34 am Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:
Not interested unless I can watch it legally through streaming first and its good enough imo to make me want to buy.

If this series cant be licensed for a simulcast then this effort seems like a waste of time. Dont see many people wanting to spend hundreds of dollars on what would be considered a "blind buy" title. For those who arent fluent in japanese of course.

You’d be surprised. Macross has a small, but very loyal following of fans and they have in my experience been quite willing to shell out the hundreds of bucks needed to buy Macross content directly from Japan. “Most” will watch anyway via other channels and then get the BD’s directly from Japan. Even at those prices.

Big West has tried putting English subs before with Macross Plus and the Frontier films. I don’t think they’d do this release if they didn’t think the numbers would add up.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:03 am Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:

That's the boat I'm in.

I want to check out the franchise, but have no legal way of doing so. And that's why I may never end up doing so. I like to stream shows that I can own on disc later, as that is how I prefer to rewatch my anime. But, if I can't try before I buy, then I'm not going to buy a show from a franchise I'm unfamiliar with.

This is good for the existing Macross fans, I hope they enjoy the new show.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:16 am Reply with quote
All of the blame for not being able to watch it lie squarely with HG.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:35 am Reply with quote
Take that, Harmony Gold! An importing we will go!

Also, there's no legal way to get to the franchise because some company claims to own the entire franchise and blocks every attempt to do anything with it over here. it is a case of bad people using the law for foul purposes. To play by the rules when Harmony Gold uses the rules to harm fans and creators, you can see why Macross fans are more than simply excited about this.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
Harmony Gold does not deserve any money after the 30 years of hell we all had to go through. If you like this, please import the BDs, merchandise, or the game (if one is made), show Harmony Gold the super long running error of their ways with your wallet.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:54 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Zoneflare wrote:

That's the boat I'm in.

I want to check out the franchise, but have no legal way of doing so. And that's why I may never end up doing so.

Are the two of you really young? If so, you probably have no idea how good you have it lol. Just 7-8 years ago buying blind was the only option legal option that existed.

That said, based off episode 1...this is looking to be the worst Macross show yet so I'm not sure it will be worth $22 per episode. Assuming it's 2-cour like other Macross shows...I don't know anyone that's willing to spend $500+ dollars for a show. It's extremely awesome this option will exist, though.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The limited edition of the first Blu-ray Disc and DVD volume will go on sale on July 22 for 7,344 yen (about US$66) and will contain the first three episodes.

Well, ladies and gentlemen. How does this compare to Gundam Unicorn?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm currently watching Macross Frontier by...uh...not so legal means and judging by the comments of Delta so far I think its safe to say this might become Eureka Seven AO all over again.

What if Harmony Gold sees that Macross has a loyal fandom importing and tries to stop Japan from shipping it to US. Can they do that? These peeps make my blood boil Evil or Very Mad
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy they are giving the bird to Harmony Gold by adding the English Subtitles (time will tell if they did a good job with that). Hopefully, they will do the same for Macross Frontier's DVDs (think the Movies are English Subtitled already). Because this is my favorite of the Macross Franchise. However, unless they toned down the AKB anime Super Idols that we saw in the preview, I likely will not buy it. I love the singing idols of Macross, but not the way it was presented in Delta. I liked the mechs doing the fighting,

As for Harmony Gold, I'm still annoyed they're getting away with the Robotech movie. But given James Wan's (the director) interview on IGN, it doesn't look like they are getting anywhere. (My guess they are working around the Macross copyrights and having a hard time). So here's hoping the movie ends up cancelled and Sony making a true Macross movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2