• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One Piece (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:00 am Reply with quote

One Piece (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 108 volumes, by Eiichiro Oda)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Toei Animation

Genres: action, adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy

Themes: conspiracy, navy, pirates, superpowers, war

Plot Summary: Before he was executed, the legendary Pirate King Gold Roger revealed that he had hidden the treasure One Piece somewhere in the Grand Line. Now, many pirates are off looking for this legendary treasure to claim the title Pirate King.

One pirate, Monkey D. Luffy, is a boy who had eaten the Devil's Fruit and gained rubber powers. Now he and his crew are off to find One Piece, while battling enemies and making new friends along the way.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 01: October 20, 1999 (Wednesday)
Available on: Crunchyroll, FUNimation

Season 02: March 14, 2001 (Wednesday)

Season 03: August 26, 2001 (Sunday)

Season 04: December 9, 2001 (Sunday)

Season 05: November 3, 2002 (Sunday)

Season 06: February 9, 2003 (Sunday)

Season 07: June 20, 2004 (Sunday)

Season 08: April 17, 2005 (Sunday)

Season 09: May 21, 2006 (Sunday)

Season 10: January 6, 2008 (Sunday)

Season 11: December 21, 2008 (Sunday)

Season 12: July 5, 2009 (Sunday)

Season 13: October 18, 2009 (Sunday)

Season 14: June 27, 2010 (Sunday)

Season 15: October 2, 2011 (Sunday)

Season 16: January 6, 2013 (Sunday)

Season 17: January 19, 2014 (Sunday)

Season 18: June 26, 2016 (Sunday)

Season 19: April 9, 2017 (Sunday)

Season 20: August 11, 2019 (Sunday)

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 01: 61 episodes
Season 02: 16 episodes
Season 03: 14 episodes
Season 04: 39 episodes
Season 05: 13 episodes

Season 06: 52 episodes
Season 07: 33 episodes
Season 08: 35 episodes
Season 09: 73 episodes
Season 10: 45 episodes

Season 11: 26 episodes
Season 12: 14 episodes
Season 13: 35 episodes
Season 14: 60 episodes
Season 15: 62 episodes

Season 16: 50 episodes
Season 17: 118 episodes
Season 18: 36 episodes
Season 19: 109 episodes
Season 20: 165 episodes (currently)

Total: 1056 episodes
----------------------------------

With episode 400 released yesterday I'm only on episode 399 but by the time I get back to this site tomorrow I'll have seen the new episode.

My thoughts on the story thus far: spoiler[
After showing off their powers each other and some terrified Marines Luffy, Law and Kid along with their crews split up to get back to their boats. Law and Kid run into Kuma and try to fight him. ]

Before I begin let me say i've read the manga and i'm past this part so I know what is going to happen. spoiler[I have to say that this part of the show has been really crazy compared to other Arcs. people have been getting killed and the racism is mind blowing. ]

This last episode surprised me. spoiler[Law's powers are crazy to say the least he can slice people into pieces? And Kid...I'm iffy on the details but he's got magnetism or something right? His crazy arm of guns and blades looked cool. ] All in all another great episode of One Piece.

Anyone else have any thoughts on the show?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I sort of dirfted off when some filler started after the Thriller Bark arc ended, what's the episode in which the manga story picked back up?
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Hey, I sort of dirfted off when some filler started after the Thriller Bark arc ended, what's the episode in which the manga story picked back up?

Skip 381-384 and then it starts up again. The filler wasn't bad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Just watched One Piece 401 and must say that the marines throughout the series confuse me. Why are there so many that use devil fruits but are marines. In the water. Where they can drown?

it just seems like the opposite of what I would do.

Moving on to this weeks episode. spoiler[Zoro looked really shocked to see Kuma again. And- is Kuma in two different places or...? Whatever. I can't wait to see the fight from the opening. ]
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's such a huge power boost though, they trade in their ability to swim for some massive superpowers. They have plenty of grunts to do their swimming for them. Half Luffy's crew can't swim and they do just fine.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:08 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Well, it's such a huge power boost though, they trade in their ability to swim for some massive superpowers. They have plenty of grunts to do their swimming for them. Half Luffy's crew can't swim and they do just fine.

True, it just seems dangerous to me. I go for a walk during the middle of the night and bam i'm gone. the marines really are crafty fellows.
Hatiko

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I was roaming some forums and someone decided to put a spoiler out about the CP9 Saga

Spoiler* spoiler[Nami defeats a member of the CP9 and the crew says goodbye to going merry.]

I don't really care about the going merry one as I don't know how or why it happens.
I was just wondering in what episode the nami one and the going merry one happens. I heard that the Davy back, enies lobby (no clue if i spelled it right), and the water 7 arc were the best arc so far so i want to be able to watch them without waiting for these thing to happen. Also, is the whitbeard war sage better?
Please no more spoilers though (I know, it's hard to do) but it would be great.
Thanks!
Also, since I don't want to be a "help me" only post, what is your favorite arc/sage of one piece so far?
elloshiions

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I personally really enjoyed the Water 7 Arc and Enies Lobby Arc. I feel that these two sagas had the most intense moments. I do not really feel much into the storyline as I once was with the current story probably because of the wait for the upcoming episodes. We have yet to see what else would be going on for the upcoming sagas.
p0pzi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I can't really remember in which episodes those 2 moments occured however that spolier is not a very big one really.
But it is still a spoiler and I can understand that you do not appreciate that someone would write that.

My favorite arc is probably enies lobby and regarding the "whitebeard war" it's awsome in the manga but I have yet to see in the anime if it lives up to that. Smile

I would not agree to the Davy back being one of the "best arcs", maybe the funniest though.

Edit, found the episodes.

The Nami one is spoiler[episode 295-296] and the Merry one is spoiler[episode 311-312]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:20 pm Reply with quote
This is getting really exciting, so I thought I'd revive this thread.

Okay, up to episode 459, spoiler[I thought Ace was Luffy's biological brother. Perhaps it's been so long that I already forgot a few details, but if Ace is older than Luffy, and Ace's mother died after giving birth, and Ace's father is Gol D. Roger, that means they're not biological siblings, since Luffy's father is the revolutionaries' leader, Monkey D. Dragon.]
Okay then I checked Wiki and I guess it's alright to assume that spoiler[Ace is his adopted brother] (good thing manga readers keep it updated; though that's also why I avoid Wiki for references).

Because of that, I thought for sure the revolutionaries spoiler[would attack the marine headquarters to save their leader's son.] But now I wouldn't be so sure anymore.

Two weeks till next episode. Argh!

If they take Bleach's path and start showing individual ultra-prolonged fights this would be over in about 200 episodes. Good thing it's One Piece we are talking about.
gundam83

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I love one piece it's my favouite anime,luffy is by far the funniest character of all time! Enis lobby and the storlyine with Arlong is my favourite. I have a lot of catching up to do with the episodes! Very Happy
PiercingArrow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:54 pm Reply with quote
i already read the manga up to the current chapter now so i already know how the story goes here and there(yea, scanlations. ikr... pfft w/e...) but i think its still fun to watch the weekly episodes on FUNimation. I think this arc is the most exciting so far. they would probably stop the fillers now at this upcoming episode this weekend which kinda annoyed me for like 5 weeks(?) or so. But im glad that they're getting on the main point of the arc already. i know for sure that this part will somehow be epic.
jcaliff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Today I got the January TV Japan Program Guide. In case there's confusion, TV Japan is a premium station available through DISH Network and some other cable systems - I know Comcast carries it and I think U-verse might. Apparently, they're going to start showing One Piece every Monday at 6:30 PM EST, replacing Sciencer/Science Zero. I'm not sure how many episodes they are planning to show, but it says it's starting with Davy Back Fight on 1/7/13. Most interesting of all, it's going to be English subtitled!

I don't know if TV Japan has ever shown subtitled anime before. Last season they had Detective Conan, Chibi Maruko-chan, Major (3rd Series), Anpanman, and Doraemon, but they're all in raw Japanese. They also showed the One Piece Dead End no Bouken movie on Dec 22nd, but I don't think it was subtitled.

Anyway, good news IMHO for getting some more interesting anime on TV outside of Japan.

edit; wow, that's some serious topic resurrection. I get warning messages from the forum about posting in old topics when I accidentally click on one. Didn't know we could go back this far to find a thread. For what it's worth, my post wasn't really about One Piece story discussion, but news that it's going to be shown on cable in the United States. I wasn't sure it would fit in a thread like this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:00 pm Reply with quote
don't worry too much this is still an active series. just most people here don't comment on it. the latest arc in the new world is proving to be interesting.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:35 pm Reply with quote
One Piece is amazing -- though, unfortunately, in more ways than necessary.

I mean, for example, the amount of running this project shows. Of all the time of 687 episodes, aired to date, maybe more than a third and up to nearly half of it shows characters running -- imagine an anime consisting of 200-300 episodes that only shows characters running.

Even characters running inside of a building in One Piece can take few months of air time to cover.

I swear that I never seen so much running in any other 550 titles I have watched. Maybe even if I included all of films I have seen, too, then still One Piece will have characters running for longer than everything else, combined. Long before I was old and wise, I thought Naruto was bad with its characters flying forever, but no, as it turned out, it was nothing comparing to One Piece.

Ridiculous, I am really getting tired of this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2