• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Knights of Sidonia Co-Director Helms Blame! Anime Film

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:23 am Reply with quote
Hopefully this makes more sense than the Blame! OVA that was put out a while back.

I'm *still* scratching my head over that one. Neutral
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:37 am Reply with quote
Good. We need more CGI anime, so as to let people become accustomed to it and stop complaining about how jarring it is. Ajin was a good start, now lets see where this goes.
navycherub

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:00 am Reply with quote
I am so ready.
BluExocet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:04 am Reply with quote
Polygon Pictures' animation gets better with every new project. Aijin looks great in terms of character movement when compared to S1 of Knights of Sidonia. Little less janky and a bit smoother; BLAME! is gonna kick ass. So glad this is happening! Maybe there'll be a resurgence of Killy, Cibo, and Sanakan figures.

Quote:
Hopefully this makes more sense than the Blame! OVA that was put out a while back.

I'm *still* scratching my head over that one.

The BLAME! ONA is what happens when you take a very weird property to begin with that has a very specific narrative style, and make it weirder.
It makes sense if you've read the manga, but even then it's just bits and pieces of it with some context.
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:12 am Reply with quote
Nice. And then SnK after it, right? I must hope.
Marzan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:37 am Reply with quote
Excelent news!

Any chance we get Biomega? Now I'm just being greedy.
gwdone

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:28 am Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
Excelent news!

Any chance we get Biomega? Now I'm just being greedy.

I'll second, third and fourth that motion!!! I'm straight up lurking for a Biomega anime release....Correction,,,, I insist!!!

And could we please get Knights of Sidonia part two released? I have part one Ltd. Edition and even the Ena Hoshjirio figure and they are getting lonely on my shelf without it's partners. Thanks in advance!! I knew you would agree Smile

Releasing Blame is like my money already in the bank. I don't care how strange the original was. Biomega was what got me back into Manga, and I thank you Mr. Nihei!!
Merxamers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:18 am Reply with quote
I'm honestly stunned every time i see that people besides me like the weird manga this guy draws Anime hyper

I'm curious whether there'll be any theatrical screenings of this movie in the US when the time comes; i'd definitely set aside an evening to watch it
gwdone

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:31 am Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
I'm honestly stunned every time i see that people besides me like the weird manga this guy draws Anime hyper

I'm curious whether there'll be any theatrical screenings of this movie in the US when the time comes; i'd definitely set aside an evening to watch it

Just when I thought I had all ground covered. I forgot the movie aspect...... I'll buy us both tickets to the show Merxamers!!!
Merxamers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:56 am Reply with quote
gwdone wrote:

Just when I thought I had all ground covered. I forgot the movie aspect...... I'll buy us both tickets to the show Merxamers!!!

((cyberpunk thumbs up))
torinostu351

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:01 pm Reply with quote
While I'm excited to be getting this title in any form, it feels like BLAME! is better suited to a series, not a movie. I hope I'm wrong and they hit it out of the park. Regardless, I'm giddy at this news!
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:04 pm Reply with quote
As expected for the staff. The key visual looks great imo, got high expectations for this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
XSp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:25 pm Reply with quote
It'll be interesting to see how Seshita and Polygon Pictures will handle this one... I kinda feel a long form TV series would be better for Blame!, but even so, it wouldn't be an easy feat to adapt this to something that will ressonate with anime fans as a mainstream title.

Knights of Sidonia, despite having Nihei's signature there, was still a more... erm... palatable story for the masses. Clearer characters, objective, enemies, story overall with elements of romance and a journey of the hero of sorts... Just a personal opinion here, but I see Blame! as a much more introspect, philosophical work.

It's a different take on a dystopic future that slowly reveals itself. You still have silent mysterious protagonist in Killy, but the setting kinda takes over as an essencial part of the narrative.

It's also my favorite Tsutomu Nihei title (though it's kinda hard to elect a single one... I also love Biomega and Abara), and among my favorite sci-fi stories of all time to be clear, but I just don't know how well it'll go in film form... I just kinda feel it's a story to be appreciated little by little.

On the other hand, if there is a time to showcase Nihei's works, that are kinda underappreciated, with Knights of Sidonia success, I guess this is it. If anything, it should draw more people to read the manga form. Very Happy
Merxamers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:37 pm Reply with quote
#815349 wrote:
It'll be interesting to see how Seshita and Polygon Pictures will handle this one... I kinda feel a long form TV series would be better for Blame!, but even so, it wouldn't be an easy feat to adapt this to something that will ressonate with anime fans as a mainstream title.

I somewhat agree; i think i'd rather see Blame! adapted as a series of OVAs; the story arcs in Blame! aren't really that connected anyway, so the overall plot isn't all that important. 45-60 minute OVA episodes would be good i think.

#815349 wrote:

Knights of Sidonia, despite having Nihei's signature there, was still a more... erm... palatable story for the masses. Clearer characters, objective, enemies, story overall with elements of romance and a journey of the hero of sorts... Just a personal opinion here, but I see Blame! as a much more introspect, philosophical work.

Completely agree. KoS is by far Nihei's most 'conventional' series, and it's honestly weird to see him attempt cliches and tropes that are rote in most other series (sometimes the "jokes" seemed like they were written by an alien who had just learned what "earth humor" was). Not really a complaint though; his weird takes and interpretations of fairly standard story elements endeared the series to me.

I would really like to see a Biomega movie. I'll be the first to admit that it makes no sense at all and is borderline incomprehensible at times, but a 90 minute film could do it justice. I feel that the manga is basically a great action sequence stretched out over a whole series, but with how good CGI anime is nowadays, it could work well.
[/quote]
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the CG in the Sidonia anime and with Polygon Pictures having (probably) a bigger budget here, I think this Blame! movie is going to turn out pretty well. Especially since Nihei himself is working on it. My only gripe is that the character designs look closer to his current Sidonia-style rather than his early style in the manga but oh well. I hope we get a teaser or trailer at Comic-Con this weekend. Otherwise, I can't wait to see this.

Merxamers wrote:

Believe it or not, there's actually a lot of us out there! I'm sure with the popularity of Sidonia, more and more people will take notice of Blame!The fact that Vertical is releasing it too is a sign that people are catching on. And yeah, a Biomega anime should be next.

#815349 wrote:

It's a different take on a dystopic future that slowly reveals itself. You still have silent mysterious protagonist in Killy, but the setting kinda takes over as an essencial part of the narrative.

Nihei said he wanted mainstream success with Sidonia and it looks like he got it. I enjoyed Sidonia too but he definitely had to tone down and change his usual style for a mass audience. Personally, Blame! will always be his best (and my favorite) work of his, IMO. As for my take on the story, I think Nihei's own blurb describes it best: "Adventure-seeker Killy in the Cyber Dungeon quest" I've always thought of Blame! as a story about a lone hero wandering through a futuristic dungeon, though there's obviously interesting themes below the surface.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2