• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Disable Comments?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:57 am Reply with quote
In light of a recent news article that resulted in it's thread getting locked, I have to ask. Would it not be better to disable comments for a news article if the ANN staff knows that it's controversial, is likely to attract trolls, and results in flame wars? I know that we can try to be as civil as possible, everybody is entitled to their opinions, but sometimes that's just not going to stop the worst of the worst, especially when a certain manga/anime series attracts a lot of attention (good and bad) for what will be considered controversial content. Just my two cents, thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:22 am Reply with quote
For every thread that gets locked, there are dozens that don't. And it's not uncommon for a thread to be locked, problematic posts to be removed, and the thread to be unlocked again.

Mods are here for a reason, and they all have experience and know which threads are likely to be problematic, so they keep a closer eye on those, and remove the problematic posts as they find them (and/or when they're reported).
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:55 am Reply with quote
I think as a matter of policy ANN does not like to impede polite discussion of any issue in the forums. You can be sure in the case of very contentious issues that the moderators are going to be very vigilant to try to see that the discussion remains as polite as possible. You will note that they removed offending posts and warned people before resorting to locking the thread.

Actually where they need help is on the more random threads. They lack the time to read every post on every thread. If someone is being very obnoxious, is name calling, soapboxing or otherwise disrupting a thread you should report it to give the moderators a heads up. That is what the little red exclamation mark in the upper right hand corner of every post is for.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:34 pm Reply with quote
The discussion threads also exist so that we can make comments about the articles, such as asking about sources or pointing out errors or giving praise when it is due.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:15 pm Reply with quote
As I said in the recent KnJ threads having discussion disabled for certain topics is just not fair. Why should users who want to discuss the material and can do so civilly be not given the chance just because some loudmouth asses cannot behave? If you find the topic in question distasteful either post that opinion civilly or just move on. It's not hard despite what some seem to think. I know this is in response to the recent KnJ threads. I will flat out say right here right now I find KnJ personally very unsavory & very disgusting. I do not judge the fans of it but I personally find the material very distasteful and inappropriate. That being said however I would no more take away the opportunity for it's fans to discuss it anymore than I would want discussion taken away from me on my guilty pleasures. Namely trashy T&A shows like the plethora of magical school shows the past few years. Simply not allowing fans to discuss the material at all and be given a chance for civil discussion is just unfair.

I'm sorry but having us not allow discussion is also just lazy IMO. If we were to not allow discussion at all on a specific topic that would be lazy of us at ANN. Why bother reporting on it if you won't allow discussion to take place? It would also simply be wrong and definitely send the wrong message about what ANN is all about. And where does it stop from there as well? Gundam and Fate threads always have problems. Maybe we should not allow them either. Or how about the current I'm sorry I said rude comments so I'm saving face pieces? What about every thread dealing with a live action adaptation of an anime? See the point? It's a slippery slope. Not to mention the amount of shit we'd get for that would dwarf the actual bad posts in those threads. Plus then we'd get more people saying "this topic" should be stopped "or that topic" because they feel it's too heated and not worth having discussion. Then we'd get grief for why did not allow discussion for topic X but still allowed it for topic Y. Then if we disallow discussion for topic Y it'll be why are we allowing topic Z. Etc etc etc. It would turn out to be 3 times the headache of just allowing discussion on those topics and dealing with the ignorant asses. Plus those types of people are going to act like that no matter what. If not in a KnJ thread then in another.

I know this is an issue as of late with the amount of heated topics all hitting one right after the other pn various topics. Just some bad karma and timing. It's the big con season so unfortunately expect more. Come fall things should slow down some with the big hot button topics. Hopefully. The best course of action though is to report things ASAP and not wait. A lot of times if mods are alerted early enough we can try and keep things civil before it becomes unmanageable. it may not work but simply not trying at all just does not benefit anyone honestly in the long run.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:49 am Reply with quote
I hope that comments aren't going to be disabled at any time on this site. I might want to throw my two cents in,although for some,that may be an incentive to do that anyway.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:15 am Reply with quote
We're optimists, and we want to see intelligent conversation on every thread. Even the threads we know will be locked, we can still hope for some intelligent conversation mixed in with the vitriol.

It pains us every time we lock a thread, and we won't do it preemptively except in very special cases.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1