• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Also Streams Southern Cross, Mospeada Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:40 am Reply with quote
Huh. I've always meant to check out Southen Cross; my understanding is that it's the series that was most changed to shoehorn it into Robotech (since it takes place on a planet with two moons, and Harmony Gold lacked the ability in 1984 to digitally paint one out, they simply had to cut any shot showing two moons… to say nothing of turning Jeanne Francaix into "Dana Sterling", the daughter of two characters from Macross).

It's also amusing to note -- in this age of manchildren being so butthurt over girl Ghostbusters -- that this action show had a female lead character for episodes 36-60 (and female colleagues/rivals in military police chief Nova and ace pilot Marie) way back in the 80s, and it was as warmly received as the rest of Robotech (putting aside current controversies over rights issues with the series, Robotech was a genuine breakthrough in its day), and this arc's tone wasn't any different than other segments of the show (if anything, it's the darkest), whereas any other programs for girls were stereotypically gendered.
Varkias

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Wish I could watch streaming video on my terrible satellite internet.

Back in the day, I tried to get the dvd of Southern Cross, but my copy had a disc where the subtitles weren't there. ADV had me send it back to them for a replacement, but then the replacement had the same issue. Sad
vision33r

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:32 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Huh. I've always meant to check out Southen Cross; my understanding is that it's the series that was most changed to shoehorn it into Robotech (since it takes place on a planet with two moons, and Harmony Gold lacked the ability in 1984 to digitally paint one out, they simply had to cut any shot showing two moons… to say nothing of turning Jeanne Francaix into "Dana Sterling", the daughter of two characters from Macross).

It's also amusing to note -- in this age of manchildren being so butthurt over girl Ghostbusters -- that this action show had a female lead character for episodes 36-60 (and female colleagues/rivals in military police chief Nova and ace pilot Marie) way back in the 80s, and it was as warmly received as the rest of Robotech (putting aside current controversies over rights issues with the series, Robotech was a genuine breakthrough in its day), and this arc's tone wasn't any different than other segments of the show (if anything, it's the darkest), whereas any other programs for girls were stereotypically gendered.

It's not unusual for anime to have female leads. Look at all of Macross and Gundam that features female pilots and officers in lead positions. Where US TV would never have female even close to being a lead in any TV series or movies.

As for Southern Cross, it's a good series where Harmony Gold did a lot of rewrites of the script to try to stitch together the different series that really don't have anything to do with each other.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1