• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hulu Ends Free Streaming as Yahoo Launches Own Service With Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:12 am Reply with quote
Well I was excited until I saw it's only available in the United States. Sad
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:07 am Reply with quote
^ I don't think that's so much of a problem with international rights for the anime as it is international streaming rights for the ABC, NBC, and Fox shows, which gets complicated depending on which country you're in. (Here in Canada, they're mostly split between the competing pay-only services Crave TV and Shomi, although I can watch the most recent episodes of most American broadcast TV shows for "free", as in "included with the cost" but with ad breaks, with my Bell Fibe subscription.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:32 am Reply with quote
And so we bid farewell to another titan of the free streaming era. Alas, those memories of yore! How we marvelled at those trenchant, almost immortal words, "currently our video library can only be streamed within the United States".

I am glad that services such as Crunchyroll and Viewster have improved their international equitability over in the last six years or so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SailorDJ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:04 am Reply with quote
I wonder how that affects sites like Funimation's site. There are quite a few titles you can watch for free on their site, as long as you're fine with English subtitles. After a while, Funimation usually streams their licensed anime through Hulu.
Buzz201

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:17 am Reply with quote
SailorDJ wrote:
I wonder how that affects sites like Funimation's site. There are quite a few titles you can watch for free on their site, as long as you're fine with English subtitles. After a while, Funimation usually streams their licensed anime through Hulu.

Funimation is planing to switch to a new HTML5 player and system, that they call Funimation Now, in September. Presumably that would lead them to replace Hulu anyway.

The beta is currently live in the UK & Ireland, but based on how many problems it's having (problems which include subscriptions not being cancelled when people ask) and how many features they were supposed to add but haven't yet, I can't see them actually launching the service in the US & Canada until at least next year.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:07 am Reply with quote
Buzz201 wrote:
SailorDJ wrote:

Funimation is planing to switch to a new HTML5 player and system, that they call Funimation Now, in September. Presumably that would lead them to replace Hulu anyway.

The beta is currently live in the UK & Ireland, but based on how many problems it's having (problems which include subscriptions not being cancelled when people ask) and how many features they were supposed to add but haven't yet, I can't see them actually launching the service in the US & Canada until at least next year.

I think I'm already using Funimationow through their Window 10 app. It's a better player but it's no Hulu or Hulu Desktop. As for the system itself, I've gotten to the point I check the website to see what's new... but start the Funimation app to watch it; It crashes a lot, freezes a lot more.

Not the player, the system itself.

I've been expecting this announcement from Hulu for awhile now as I've had to use some curious methods to log in and everything says everything takes a paid subscription these days.

I checked out View.Yahoo but their selection seems to be even older than Hulu right now even as they all still have a prominent anime section.

Anyway, I feel anime anime should be tied to their physical licensing regions or else everything will be starting to reach Japanese prices... or their levels of access. It is the most baffling ever though; Either Japan doesn't know what the WW mean in WWW or they just don't care about money. Plus, if I have to start watching anime from pirates with no physical release option for the stuff I like- yes, I know there's a promise/threat of that, Diskotek, Sentai and Funimation must really be thrilled-, why not just pirate it myself?
aereus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:11 am Reply with quote
And nothing of value was lost. Used Hulu Plus for exactly one month, until I found out it doesn't eliminate the time delays or remove commercials from the streams. Pretty much just expands their catalog to a bunch of old shows you've never heard of nor care about.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:23 am Reply with quote
Hate to say it but Time W created another mess!
Buzz201

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:02 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Anyway, I feel anime anime should be tied to their physical licensing regions or else everything will be starting to reach Japanese prices... or their levels of access. It is the most baffling ever though; Either Japan doesn't know what the WW mean in WWW or they just don't care about money. Plus, if I have to start watching anime from pirates with no physical release option for the stuff I like- yes, I know there's a promise/threat of that, Diskotek, Sentai and Funimation must really be thrilled-, why not just pirate it myself?

Not sure I understand what your point is. Funimation and Sentai are known to licence their titles for multiple territories, including the UK & Ireland, where possible. They either sub-licence to another company (Funimation does this with Madman in Australia) or just sign a distribution deal with another company (Funimation did this with Anime Ltd. in the UK).

Prior to the launch of Funimation Now only certain titles were available to stream in the UK as simulcasts. So it's UK & Ireland launch would be a boon if the service actually worked like it was supposed to.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:32 am Reply with quote
Who the hell pays for a streaming service with ads? There's something wrong with a lot of people's sense of judgement.......
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:06 am Reply with quote
I have a feeling Hulu's going to regret this decision by the end of next year.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:29 am Reply with quote
Ad-free should be $7.95.
bonkzonkwonk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:41 am Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
I have a feeling Hulu's going to regret this decision by the end of next year.

How?
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Time Warner acquired a 10% stake in Hulu for a US$583 million deal last week

Well, I guess I won't be able to watch Hulu anymore. Time Warner Cable doesn't like it when you stream things they own rather than watch it on the cable box. For example I can't stream Adult Swim OD at all. On the AS website TWC is not on their list of cable providers that can stream from the site even though Time Warner owns AS. On the TWC website or app AS is missing from the VOD lineup, but IS on the cable box VOD listing.

If I can't stream channels they own then what hope do I have with an entire streaming service they now have a stake in? Wait for Charter to complete their take over I guess.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fenrin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:18 am Reply with quote
I'm going to miss Hulu but as long as we get about the same experience on Yahoo View I can stomach it. One of the things that Hulu lacked was an interactive experience, requiring people to log in to Facebook to post a comment, so I'm looking forward to what they come up with.

Although there's some cleaning up to do, the site design is so bare bones and the categories are a mess. I don't think the combined category 'Supernatural and Horror' is serving a purpose if you have shows like Gingitsune and Parasyte together on the same list.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3