• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Queen Emeraldas GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrakai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:47 am Reply with quote
I didn't care for the choice of paper in this volume, it's that really thin super-smooth, almost magazine style glossy paper. It's probably meant to reflect the premium-ness of the volume (and also to pack a larger page count) but doesn't feel like book paper to me.

Other than that I enjoyed the volume.

I would have loved a small editor's note explaining the provenance of the material in the book (ie this was original published in XXXX with Matsumoto redrawing some of the art for the XXXX re-release in japan..) since it's not clear by any of the information in the book that it's older than 2009. Since Matsumoto's stuff has been republished and redrawn so many times, it would be nice to know.

All of the said, I enjoyed the book since Star Blazers was my first childhood experience with Anime so Matsumoto's worlds and designs are a nice return to those times.

I'm happy that Kodansha took the risk of publishing an older non-moe, non-harem Manga, and aside from my quibbles above, did really enjoy it.
unitmikey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I may not be the most ardent fan, but I really have loved the work that I have seen from Leiji Matsumo based anime.

The amount of manga of his that has been published in the states though is certainly minute (especially compared to the amount of work he has done) but I’m glad that Emeraldas was chosen for this release. I haven’t read anything of his since Galaxy Express during its Animerica run, but I feel like there was certainly more of a “wistful” feel to the way that Emeraldas was written, even when compared to the glut of anime he has inspired.

As for the potential themes on gender, as much as I think Emeraldas is a great character, I worry about Matsumoto stumbling upon the gender politics unintentionally (given what I have observed from his other work I have seen as well).

Regardless, I’m happy it was Emeraldas that was chosen by Kodansha. Harlock is awesome, but it is a little unfortunate that he seems to eclipse Emeraldas in terms of fandom and exposure.

And overall the Emeraldas manga is just great in general.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:30 am Reply with quote
I will admit that my fascination for Emeraldas, who I only know of in passing, is based purely on "yay, cool-looking lady! Very Happy"

With that shamefaced admission out of the way, I'm definitely looking forward to picking this up as my first introduction to Matsumoto's work; even if sci-fi and pace operas aren't genres I tend to frequent, this sounds like it has some pretty broad appeal.
Brand

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm halfway through it now and enjoying it a lot. I'd say I'm fine with the fancy paper but really don't like the hardback style Kodansha choose their books. Reminds me of some cheap scholastic from elementary school. Doesn't say prestige to me at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1