• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Strange Reinterpretations of Classic Literature

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:02 am Reply with quote
Takeshi Obata gets my vote. His art is simply amazing.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:27 am Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
Takeshi Obata gets my vote. His art is simply amazing.

Not sure how I totally blanked on him and Tsugumi Ohba. I guess I haven't been paying much attention to either of them lately, especially since I heard Platinum end isn't that great. But yeah, I loved Bakuman and Death Note. Obata's artwork is amazing.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:17 am Reply with quote
I don't even read manga per se, but just based on their original stories, Oda and Urasawa were obvious choices. I had Adaichi there too, since Cross Game was an utter masterpiece, but then I saw Tezuka and well, that's a given.

Good list choices, too. I just got through Gankutsuou recently, and it was phenomenal, even with the usual janky Gonzo CGI. (I haven't read Dumas' original novel though.) Jamieson Price absolutely chewed up the scenery in the dub, too. Infinite Ryvius is definitely one that could have made the cut too (there's even a Piggy!) Nadia's been on the backlog for ages, and I've heard enough good buzz over the years about Romeo x Juliet that I'm curious, even though I think it was probably the weakest of the Shakespeare I've read.
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:03 am Reply with quote
I knew about STR.A.IN's roots. I thought the one sided yuri played for laughs bits to be a tone whiplash and didn't see a purpose for them. If it was done seriously it would have been different.

I'm an English major, but I enjoyed the Romeo x Juliet anime more than the play. I thought the dub was fantastic.

I saw Gankutsuou years ago and remember liking it, but it's most likely not going to be something I'd watch again. The art and animation was a highlight.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:09 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I don't even read manga per se, but just based on their original stories, Oda and Urasawa were obvious choices. I had Adaichi there too, since Cross Game was an utter masterpiece, but then I saw Tezuka and well, that's a given

This makes me wonder what the actual meaning of "current" in the question was:"currently publishing" (as is read it) or "mangaka of my favourite series i'm currently reading" or "fave magaka ever" as you seem to have interpreted it?
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:17 pm Reply with quote
^
I took "your current favorite" to mean the one that I like the most right now, without regard to when the mangaka was active.
If it had been "your favorite current mangaka" that would have changed one of my votes since, unfortunately, Kakifly seems to have done nothing since K-On! High School.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:15 pm Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
I saw Gankutsuou years ago and remember liking it, but it's most likely not going to be something I'd watch again. The art and animation was a highlight.

I quite agree. Gankutsuou's storytelling is so very lucid that every character motivation and plot device becomes abundantly clear by the end, with barely any effort being required on the viewer's part. It is unlikely that there is much to be gained from a second watch; the sense of mystery concerning the Count's behaviour would merely be replaced with foreknowledge.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ajr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:45 pm Reply with quote
There's so many talented mangaka out there, hmph. Well, I voted for Eiichiro Oda, Mizukami Satoshi, and Masakazi Ishiguro, but Makoto Yukimura or Kiyohiko Azuma could've easily placed too.

I wanted to nominate Abe Youichi (Blood Diver Ringo and the Fishbowl Man) or Kui Ryoko (Dungeon Meshi), among about a dozen other mangaka (I'm loving Kakashi Asahiro's body language in their adaptation of Kumo desu ga, nani ka?), but chose not to for the sake of not diluting poll votes further.
Nadare Xizos

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:26 pm Reply with quote
The "Romeo and Juliet" anime is overrated, at least for me. I struggled to finish it and thought the ending was a disservice to the original play.

Oda Eiichiro and Bisco Hatori got my vote for favorite manga creator. I also added Minekura Kazuya into the poll because I love her art even if the progress on her titles has been glacial due to various health issues.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:59 am Reply with quote
Miyazaki's Princess Nausicaa is based off of the same name princess in Homer's Odyssey. Miyazaki was inspired by a 12th century Japanese story called "The Lady who Loved Insects".
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:03 am Reply with quote
I'm not surprised. As an American,I'd think that anime would come up with very weird ways of viewing classic literature. If I were Japanese,I'd think the same way of Hollywood's interpretation of the same material.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:47 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
If I were Japanese,I'd think the same way of Hollywood's interpretation of the same material.

Given Hollywood's penchant for bowdlerizing material, I would say that that it is well-neigh impossible to get a script/project that respects the original material green-lit.
Maokun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:58 pm Reply with quote
A bit late to the party but I'd contribute two necessary additions to the list:

Dragon Ball is a (pun intended) balls to the wall adaptation of the classical Journey to the West.

Also, there was a steampunk, goofy version of Don Quixote de la Mancha, back in the 80's. It was strangely subversive for its time, back when the World Masterpiece Theather was still being made.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5