• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Gundam Build Fighters

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:18 am Reply with quote
I hope Den-noh Coil gets a UK release.
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Just as an FYI for anyone looking into the Build Fighters dub, it's a Phillipines dub produced by Animax. Right Stuf just slapped it onto the English release of Build Fighters. This was not a dub produced in the United States. If it were, it would have been produced at Bang Zoom like Unicorn, The Origin, Thunderbolt, and Iron-Blooded Orphans. So there's your explanation for the crap that is this dub. Build Fighters Try is no different, it's an Animax dub that was already made. If AGE ever gets a release in the US, it too has an Animax dub and you can bet that's what Right Stuf will slap on the disc because it's already made.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:22 pm Reply with quote
So how's build fighter for someone who's completely in "Cool Mecha Battle Suits" camp but don't really care about teenager drama (whether there in the middle of war or in high school)? I love mechs and even started building gunpla, but I got enough friendship speech for the rest of my life.
stowrag

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I'd heard one of the best reasons to watch Build Fighters were all the references to Gundam peppered throughout, but they didn't mention anything about it. Like isn't Ramba Ral (or someone who looks really obviously a lot like him) one of the main characters or something?
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
stowrag wrote:
I'd heard one of the best reasons to watch Build Fighters were all the references to Gundam peppered throughout, but they didn't mention anything about it. Like isn't Ramba Ral (or someone who looks really obviously a lot like him) one of the main characters or something?
Yeah there is. Mr. Ral is the character you're thinking of.
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Finished Den-noh Coil last night and it's yet another solid release from Sentai/Maiden Japan. They have certainly improved from the seemingly constant screw-ups from a few years ago.
Cetais

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:34 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
So how's build fighter for someone who's completely in "Cool Mecha Battle Suits" camp but don't really care about teenager drama (whether there in the middle of war or in high school)? I love mechs and even started building gunpla, but I got enough friendship speech for the rest of my life.

I think it's still worth the watch. I really, really enjoyed it.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:59 pm Reply with quote
stowrag wrote:

I'm not very well versed in Gundam Lore, so I only briefly mentioned the references at the tail end of my review. I imagine if you're a huge Gundam fan you'll get even more out of it than I did, though I think it's still plenty of fun for a relative newbie like myself!
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
meiam wrote:

I think it's still worth the watch. I really, really enjoyed it.

Yeah, the character drama outside of the context of the Gunpla battles was never really the main general focus, I'd say; at the very least, it wasn't distracting or anything like that.
xchampion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
Just as an FYI for anyone looking into the Build Fighters dub, it's a Phillipines dub produced by Animax. Right Stuf just slapped it onto the English release of Build Fighters. This was not a dub produced in the United States. If it were, it would have been produced at Bang Zoom like Unicorn, The Origin, Thunderbolt, and Iron-Blooded Orphans. So there's your explanation for the crap that is this dub. Build Fighters Try is no different, it's an Animax dub that was already made. If AGE ever gets a release in the US, it too has an Animax dub and you can bet that's what Right Stuf will slap on the disc because it's already made.

That makes sense. I guess its the case of any dub is better than no dub, but gosh even I would sound better than these people they got to dub the voices. I guess its what happens when you grab random people that can speak English that happen to also live in these Asian countries that the dub is produced in.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:47 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Finished Den-noh Coil last night and it's yet another solid release from Sentai/Maiden Japan. They have certainly improved from the seemingly constant screw-ups from a few years ago.

I'm trying to think of the number of screw ups Maiden Japan/Greenfield has done and the only think I can think off is releasing Patlabor TV in 4 full priced sets. Sentai/Ledford is another kettle of fish.

Sure, they're all Section 23... or not... wait, even ADV is still around for tax purposes and even I don't know what AEsir Holdings is. Anyways, Maiden Japan's previous dub jobs was Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 and...

And...

Momo Girl God of Death; I had to look that one up. It is pretty sweet that Greenfield directed Den noh himself after all these years, he should do more Sentai dubs. Because he can't, he doesn't work there. He should more Maiden Japan dubs though and Myself Yourself would have been a good starting point or at least a better starting point than either 8.0 or Den Noh Coil. Weird that that one has almost as many ratings here as those two combined but they still went sub only with it.

Almost a decade later and the ghosts of ADV films are still haunting Section 23's remains. Wait, they're not dead. For the moment.

I still haven't decided whether to get Den Noh Coil part 2 yet. Maybe December?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Such a shame this couldn't have had a more professional dub done. I hate it when I have to stick to Japanese despite having a choice.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
Just as an FYI for anyone looking into the Build Fighters dub, it's a Phillipines dub produced by Animax. Right Stuf just slapped it onto the English release of Build Fighters.

Hong Kong-based dub, IIRC, though I think cast member Jessica Borja is Filipino. Broadcast on Cartoon Network Asia, so technically not an Animax dub.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:57 am Reply with quote
build fighters always gives em the impresion that I should watch all the previous gundam shows before this one to enjoy the references.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1