• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Makoto Shinkai Comments on your name.'s 10 Billion Yen Revenue

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Most of the money is going to Comix company studio anyways. Wonder with the success he'll leave and form he's own studio to reel in most of the profits himself like Mamoru Hosoda did after Summer Wars.

Last edited by ZODDGUTS on Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nice Tea

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Passion, talent and dedication...
A very well deserved recognition in the industry, in the mainstream public and a massive commercial success, all the stars have aligned for once.
Dayblack

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:06 pm Reply with quote
That footbridge mentioned I have seen in over 30 different animes, and continues to increase the number in each new season.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:29 pm Reply with quote
And secretly he is thinking, "I have unlocked the Next Miyazaki"
Morry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't blame him. His works were always beautiful production-wise but never really popular for that or their stories/characters. Sudden financial success (almost double the original estimate now) can mean higher expectations from investors and fans alike about what a film with his name on it will produce.

Hopefully he'll just keep doing what he likes and everyone will continue liking it.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I hope so too. Can you imagine what could happen if his next work is not as well received? Consider the hate Chaos Dragon got Gen Urobochi and company or Charlotte got Jun Meada. @H. Guderian, I'm fairly certain Shinkai-sensei doesn't think in those terms.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I feel like his response should have been five words "Fudge yeah. That is all." Admirably humble nonetheless.

@Hiroki not Takuya Chaos Dragon and Gunslinger Stratos (and Aldnoah/Zero to a somewhat lesser extent) are why you have to differentiate between shows that are written by Urobuchi and shows that his name is on (first two and everything aside from the first few episodes of A/Z are the latter)
Kuro shinigami

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I hope so too. Can you imagine what could happen if his next work is not as well received? Consider the hate Chaos Dragon got Gen Urobochi and company or Charlotte got Jun Meada. @H. Guderian, I'm fairly certain Shinkai-sensei doesn't think in those terms.
None of the creators actually worked on chaos dragon. It was an adaptation of a story written by Makoto Sanda, which was based on a tabletop rpg they played. Also chaos dragon was a terrible adaptation of the novels, a lot of content was made up by the staff working on the anime.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:19 pm Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:
Most of the money is going to Comix company studio anyways. Wonder with the success he'll leave and form he's own studio to reel in most of the profits himself like Mamoru Hosoda did after Summer Wars.

I was under the impression that that is his studio. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

What is up with all the hate for Charlotte I hear on ANN for it. Everyone I've recommended it too loved it and I really enjoyed it. To the point for re watching it a second time right after finishing it the first go.

I particular enjoyed the direction the last episode took the show and my only gripe with it is that it was not a 2 cour show. I loved what they did with the last episode, but that whole story could have been told in another cour. However, it somehow told the story concisely and competently enough that you got the feeling that it was a whole cour. So, why the hate?

Last edited by rinkwolf10 on Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:19 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see a modest personality in media. That said, it is scary when pressure increases commiserate with financial gain. I hope he has a good support system to help him through what can be a very difficult career transition. I also hope he at least considers collaborating with other writers and delegating some tasks to other artists to produce more quality anime.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Being humble/modest is nice once in a while, but the man needs to recognize his own talent and realize what he's capable of doing next. He could undo himself with that lack of confidence.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:00 am Reply with quote
What a classic act. Here you have him being humble about a monumental achievement for a non-Ghibli director while you had the producer for Anthem of The Heart talking smack about it being made to be the successor to Ghibli and Hosoda class box office hauls which I still haven't forgotten about. Meanwhile that film under-performed and this one went on to do exactly that while Shinkai still stays humble. I guess nice guys don't always finish last in this industry after all and talking the talk doesn't always mean you'll actually get to walk the walk. Smile

Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

I seem to recall Maeda mentioning something to the effect of not really listening to his critics but only those who support him after Charlotte got lambasted so I doubt he's really bothered by it. Urobuchi doesn't seem to like being held accountable for criticism of his works either judging by his testiness when being questioned about thing that happened in Aldnoah.Zero. I mean when you have the credit original creator I don't think it's fair nor makes much sense to keep telling the fans to ask the other staff and saying you don't know anything about the characters. All this Aniplex produced stuff like Anthem, Charlotte and Aldnoah as always just seems to serve to leave bad tastes and give off bad vibes of arrogance from the creative staff and producers though so nothing new.
bin1127

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:11 am Reply with quote
Poor low energy person. You have to always be the winning and repeat to yourself "I'm the best!" Humility is for those that don't win. Or at least until you get a passport and realize the world is bigger than you thought it was.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:55 am Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
Being humble/modest is nice once in a while, but the man needs to recognize his own talent and realize what he's capable of doing next. He could undo himself with that lack of confidence.

Being humble and having self confidence aren't mutually exclusive. More people should do both.

If he lacked self confidence he would never have made Voices of a Distant Star in the first place.
Sitensis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:08 am Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:

I doubt that is lack of confidence, it's just not shoving it onto people's faces.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2