• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Food Wars! The Second Plate

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Timeliest episode review ever.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:28 pm Reply with quote
People always talk about One Piece pacing being too slow, holy hell this episode was way too fast! I've read the manga so thank goodness I did because it was unbearably hard to keep up with.

They breeze over what are great manga panels and just skip whole chapters. the first season had the problem of being too slow at points but this was way too fast. The good development points of Soma and the other Polar Star dorm members is skipped to be a small nod by Sakaki and the part with the kids suffers the most.

In the manga it ends up working as a great call back later and serves as a nice pallet cleanser between rounds 1 and 2, even showing how Ishiki takes Megumi and Soma out to help them relax for a bit and get ideas. In the manga it's a very proactive chapter that sets the stage for later scenes

Insted in the anime it comes across ad reactionary, a way to explain how Soma gets an idea to beat Alice. It works in the manga because we see him interact with the kids and the idea feels more justified. In the anime it end up feeling like an excuse or "Ass-pull.".

I hope the rest of the season slow it down a bit. because if they don't somethings will really suffer especially spoiler[ Takumi and Mimasaka will have such rushed and poor set up that it will lose the real punch it has]

Also i can't wait till we see spoiler[Sonoka and Taki, they're great together and really fun characters, their my favorite senpai, i even used them in my fanfiction, they even made the opening.][/spoiler]
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:51 pm Reply with quote
By damn, the review went up fast Smile

I mostly agree with the points the review makes. Off to a good start.
TheRahi00

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I also felt like that this was really rushed. And I don't think that this is only because I'm reading the manga. The way the scenes were like and the way the dialogues were handled. Everything felt so fast paced. It's hard to explain but it's like they tried to show as much content as they can in this episode. Also a shame that they skipped the chapter with Soma and the kids. Not a very important chapter, but I liked it.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:34 pm Reply with quote
The animation of this series has turned into complete shit.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:46 pm Reply with quote
RIP Souma appealing to the tsunloli and the shipfuel with Megumi.

I get why they paced the match this way, though; it makes for a strong first episode to the new season. I enjoyed it a lot, and now my mouth's watering again... ;_;
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Well done review, particularly for getting it out so quickly.

Ep 1 review wrote:
but also when she doesn't know about the candy that inspired one of the main components of Soma's dish

At this point I wouldn't be surprised to learn of some connection between Soma and Hotaru Shidare.
WingKing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I said before that this was going to be the mother of all rush jobs if they planned on covering both the Fall Classic and Stagiare in only 13 episodes, and it looks like that's exactly what we're going to get. Now I don't mind them compressing the matches themselves, since Fall Classic is a very long arc and some of those matches ran 4-5 chapters each, but what I missed here was the buildup and pre-match prep. Three minutes in and the match is already started; there was no time to build up any anticipation or tension. Also, I will admit that spoiler[the daycare center visit, and Soma's brainstorming session with Ryoko about bento combinations (and her comment when he decides on a nori bento that it's, "A very Yukihira choice")] were two of my favorite scenes from the manga, so I couldn't help but be disappointed at seeing them both reduced to five-second flashbacks.

I have no doubts this is still going to be one of my favorites of the summer, since I enjoyed both the first season and the manga so much, but it looks like I'll have to adjust my expectations. As a long as we get some really nice animation for the spoiler[Yukihee-land] scene, I can live with these other changes.
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:19 am Reply with quote
I don't read manga, but even I can tell the episode pace was way too fast. And the review too appeared faster than I expected before the poll. Good job,reviewer.
chex mix

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:44 am Reply with quote
Usually with WSJ protagonists, even though you know they're going to win, it's still fun, because they make the path to victory entertaining, or suspenseful, or fun to watch in some way. This was just straight up "Souma wins lol", yadda yadda the getting there part. It never felt like the outcome was remotely in question, and it felt like Souma knew that as well, like someone told him he was a WSJ protagonist in the off-season, and it made both him and the episode faintly unpleasant to watch.

Was that odd stank because of the pacing, or was this match like that in the manga as well? I wasn't going to continue with this show, but I enjoy tournament arcs, and the review mentioned the boob physics issue was mostly fixed, plus it's only one cour, so, I was like what the hell, let's try again.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:00 am Reply with quote
I think they went with this rushed pacing in order to give us a complete story in the first episode. It's been a year, so the thought process might have been that viewers need to be reminded of the basics of Soma's character - he's not just inherently awesome, he's got a different background than most of the other characters and that's one of his strengths. I'm hopeful that things will be a bit less hectic in future episodes...and I'm not discounting an as-yet-unannounced second cour.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:00 am Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:
Was that odd stank because of the pacing, or was this match like that in the manga as well?

No, the build-up and preparation wasn't abridged in the manga. We saw Souma puzzle out what he was going to do, and had a chapter with Isshiki in a suit and Souma and Megumi helping out at the daycare.
+ 光

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:02 pm Reply with quote
This episode was just like a plain cake, a lot of the 'chocolate icing' moments are in the manga (Razz)

I'm not surprised they skipped the Daycare episode, it would've been a too slow start for the second season. And they also couldn't add it later like they did with the Karage arc in season 1, since the daycare events were essential to the Soma / Alice match. It's an unfortunate loss, but an understandable one. They only have 13 episodes, after all.

There are at least 6 matches left, one of which will probably be 2 episodes, so that's eight. That would leave 5 episodes for the stagiare arc. But 5 episodes are too much for that, perhaps two or three would be better. Let's say two, with an episode in between arcs (the picnic, for example). That would leave two extra episodes for the Fall Classic. That's an extra 40 minutes worth of preparation &c. So I'm not TOO worried.

Quote:
As with the second cour of the first season, this episode is pretty tame in the foodgasm department – they appear to be sticking with the silly rather than the tentacular.

This includes Alice's split-second completely nude 'a--h♥' moment, right?
myskaros

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
chex mix wrote:
Was that odd stank because of the pacing, or was this match like that in the manga as well?

No, the build-up and preparation wasn't abridged in the manga. We saw Souma puzzle out what he was going to do, and had a chapter with Isshiki in a suit and Souma and Megumi helping out at the daycare.

Sure, there was buildup in the manga, but the match still played out exactly like it did in the anime, just taking more time. However, Souma was never shown to be worried at all against Alice, so, if that puts you off, a) it's the same in the manga, and b) this definitely changes for the later matches, so you might want to just hang tight.

I wouldn't be surprised if the daycare visit were relegated to OVA, since it's the perfect kind of one-off thing to use. Yes, it would have given more context to this episode, but conversely it has nearly nothing to do with anything else (except to establish that Isshiki is a cougar-killer >.>).

By the way, I personally still prefer the scanlator's translation "Autumn Election." "Autumn" just sounds arbitrarily more formal than "Fall" ;P
chex mix

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:49 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:

Sure, there was buildup in the manga, but the match still played out exactly like it did in the anime, just taking more time. However, Souma was never shown to be worried at all against Alice, so, if that puts you off, a) it's the same in the manga, and b) this definitely changes for the later matches, so you might want to just hang tight.

Starting off with a match first thing seems only logical. It's the first episode, and they need a hook. Putting the daycare visit in an OVA sounds reasonable to me.

If the stank washes off later, I'll wait patiently. I'm curious to see how much of the stupidly fast pace was because they were trying to cram a recap, a character reintroduction, and a full match all into one episode. I'm also hoping whenever Souma eventually gets knocked down a peg, it isn't by Erina or one of the Evil League Of Super Snobs, but by Megumi or someone else actually worthwhile. A girl can dream. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9