• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Eromanga Sensei Anime Gets 'Big Announcement' on Tuesday

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treeborn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm torn between watching it only for Elf, and not watching it because everything else is just so bad...
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:05 am Reply with quote
I guess "sibling romantic comedy" is their preferred euphemism for incest. Not really all that functional as such because I can't see anyone who isn't keen on such shows reading that and not saying "Nooope." Hopefully the series ends better than their last one spoiler[where they leaned into the incest angle and then just went Lol just kidding. That ending almost makes me want to look at such doujins on principle.]
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:21 am Reply with quote
The novels are quite great so I'm definitely interested in seeing how this pans out. I wonder if it will be an Oreimo crossover OVA? That could be interesting even though I've never seen Oreimo.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:07 am Reply with quote
Ugh, I hope that doesn't mean this is going to be some crazy multimedia project where you can't experience the whole story unless you play the game + watch the anime + read such and such books + etc etc. It wouldn't be so bad if we actually got all of that stuff out West, but most of the time we don't, which just makes it pointless to watch the anime. Hey there, Yuki Yuna!
Silver4000

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:52 am Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
I'm torn between watching it only for Elf, and not watching it because everything else is just so bad...

^pretty much this.

Oreimo at least was good, only the ending sucked. But this one...
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:51 pm Reply with quote
What the big announcement could be? We already got anime adaptation confirmed so live action movie?
Xavon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Of course, in this case that are not actually siblings, they are step siblings, but they tend to gloss over that fact...
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:02 pm Reply with quote
With few exceptions, "siblings romantic comedies" usually don't involve actual blood related siblings. One of those exceptions is actually their prior work OreImo. From what I hear, incest hentai and doujins tend towards the opposite.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Xavon wrote:
Of course, in this case that are not actually siblings, they are step siblings, but they tend to gloss over that fact...

I wish they'd just drop the whole facade all together. Go all the way, or go home, in my opinion. I get that there are ethical reasons why they don't, but isn't the whole appeal of this kind of relationship the forbidden-love aspect? Getting rid of the ethical issue kind of makes the whole thing pointless.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Like I said earlier, OreImo dispensed with the facade and if you don't want to read the spoilers, it did not end well, as most people who watched the ending OVAs will attest. The ethical restrictions are not at the behest of those watching it out of interest in such things but rather those who police morality in books/manga/anime and those who are tolerant of incest (or at least quasi incest) but would rather not see it taken to the logical conclusion. From what I hear, you don't see such facades in hentai and doujinshi targeted at those interested in incest. And while it is a part of the appeal, the forbidden love aspect isn't the only part but I won't get into it here. I have to find a post from another site on the subject which I'll link when I do.

Edit: Here it is
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:18 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I saw Oreimo, and that was an unfortunate ending. Kind of ruined the entire show, honestly. It went well beyond where I imagine anyone not okay with incest was comfortable, but screwed everyone else as well. Were ethics groups suddenly okay with Oreimo because of how it ended? Confused That seems unlikely to me. I don't think it takes any more than the premise to get them all riled up. If you are willing to go that far to begin with, you may as well just do the job.

I get that there are other reasons that it might be appealing, notably the proximity point, but I still find the forbidden love aspect to be the biggest draw, for most people I know. And for myself, for what it's worth.

But anyway, Koi Kaze did it in the past as well. No idea how that went over in Japan, but I know if caused a bit of a kerfuffle in the West.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:46 am Reply with quote
In the case of Oreimo, I do not disagree with you. They just ended up pissing off both sides and made an ending no one liked. That's kinda why most avoid that situation cause if you go with straight up incest, either you take it to the logical conclusion (wincest if you will) and frankly disgust many many people, understandably, or you just don't consummate the relationship at all, which will probably disappoint fans of such material but not anymore than quasi incest. spoiler[Or you try to do both and piss everyone off. Heckuva job guys]. With quasi incest they can do the first option but at least mitigate some backlash with "Well they're not actually related so it's cool." They'll probably get a "I know you are trying to appeal to people who like (animated) incest and I don't like it but fine whatever" And everyone just moves on. All I'll say is if you really want the logical conclusion, there are options, and they ain't broadcast anime. But they probably know that by now.

We'll see how they handle it in this show but if Xavon is correct, it seems that the author saw why the genre(?) does things that way and doesn't want to have to face the same choices for the end as for their prior work.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:16 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Yeah, I saw Oreimo, and that was an unfortunate ending. Kind of ruined the entire show, honestly. It went well beyond where I imagine anyone not okay with incest was comfortable, but screwed everyone else as well. Were ethics groups suddenly okay with Oreimo because of how it ended? Confused That seems unlikely to me. I don't think it takes any more than the premise to get them all riled up. If you are willing to go that far to begin with, you may as well just do the job.

The author was said because of "reasons" he wasn't able to present the ending the way he wanted. So he had to try present a ending that wasn't very explicit of what happened. But if you read the LN you find that spoiler[they are still together doing "life consulting". What they do during the life consulting, leave it to your imagination. He even kiss her before running way. In a interview he said that was a complete Kirino win.]

He also wasn't very happy that they don't make the ending in the anime the way he do in the LN. For example in the final scene the author wantedspoiler[ the final kiss to be on the mouth, and Kirino's whould say something like "We're gonna have life counseling when we get home" to implying that they are still secretly together.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1