• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Film Unveils 1st Full 2-Minute Trailer

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ulinox

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:49 am Reply with quote
Couldn't be better. ScarJo looks great!
Woomy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:07 am Reply with quote
Even from those very small teasers, the tone was still just right to make me think that it was still looking like a Ghost in the Shell movie, and this trailer has kept those feelings consistent.

Like, seriously, I don't think even the more hardcore fans can truly think this trailer is a bad first impression.

Of course people are still gonna toss around the whitewashing term loosely, even though I don't think this was an example of whitewashing, but just an unfortunate example of the reality of the film industry. The people who are angry, are angry at the wrong people and don't know how movies work.

A big production studio isn't going to cast a relatively unknown Asian actress on a project like this. ScarJo is literally the most profitable female actress on the planet at the moment, so the film makers having to settle on that because the studio willing to bank on her starpower, is probably one of the reasons this movie is even happening in the first place.

GITS is not a brand that outsells the people attached to it. In fact, the only brand that I can think of that DOES outsell anyone starring in it, is Star Wars. And they cast a white girl as their new lead so.

If anything, my concern was ScarJo's sometimes questionable acting ability. If you told me I couldn't cast an Asian and had to settle on casting a big name actress who'd still be fitting, I'd have personally picked Charlize Theron for the Major.

But, she doesn't look too bad so far. And hey, maybe her sometimes robotic acting is quite fitting for a robot when you think about it, right?
anddo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:09 am Reply with quote
Underwhelming as expected, 95 pandering in some of the composition isn't going to change that.

ScarJo definitely looks good as the Major though. Can't say the same for Batou.
chronos02

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:38 am Reply with quote
Well, from this trailer it can be summarized that the movie will be a mashup of different scenes from the first Oshii movie and the SAC series. Not that I mind, though they could could have tried to catch the feeling of those scenes and make new ones instead.

What I don't really like is how the trailer seems to hint that the story behind the movie will be about the major's "past", which, as a GITS media, should be something secondary to the main plot, such as in 2nd GIG; or as a series of introspections of the mc, as Oshii sort of did during the first movie. In the trailer, it feels as if they lowered the major's character to a new recruit's mindset, to make her more "humane" and closer to the viewer's feelings or something, removing her composed, calculating, mischievous and sometimes playful character for a serious "circumstanceshavemademelikethis" mask filled with insecurity and lots of feelings and questions. The major, in the original series, the Oshii movies and the SAC series, isn't moved by her past, and if the chance to dig a bit on it pops up, she does it in tandem, and as something secondary, with her job/mission. Well, there's also the fact she already knows about her own past, even within the ARISE reboot.

Well, in the end we won't know until we watch the movie, but the trailer didn't give me good vibes for the plot (not THAT other plot, lol), as for the general atmosphere, it doesn't look half bad, but it had something that didn't really click with what I've seen so far in the GITS universe.

Now, the CGI segment that copies Oshii's famous jump from the first movie,is it just me or does it feel weird?
12skippy21

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:43 am Reply with quote
To me it was always about the tone of the film rather than the actors. People tend to forget that the films are quite different in style to the original manga. Utimately the tone I get is similar to the TV series (Arise) which toned down the philosphy in favour of the action (compared to the other sources).

The trailer looks alright, my only concern is if they rely too much on the action rather than the much more interesting story elements.
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:48 am Reply with quote
Everything looks great except Batou.. His eye lens thing should be bigger.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:58 am Reply with quote
Why does this sound more like the Major was newly made and not just a long-forgotten identity in her shell? They make it sound like she's out to "save" people like it's some kind of righteous thing that she does, like a superhero.

Otherwise, the teaser does make me interested in the film itself. I really hope the film turns out well-received and well-made. It's really hard to adapt a manga/anime for a Western live-action film in a way that hits the mainstream well without giving up the underlying thematic or intrinsic atmosphere/concept. I have my reservations, but I feel like there's at least a chance that this one can rise above everything thus far. I've got my fingers crossed!
moteless

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:13 am Reply with quote
Where that lesbian scene came from? wtf?

What a giant piece of shit.
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:21 am Reply with quote
moteless wrote:

Geez because paying homage to the original Motoko is wrong.
AngryMoM

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:36 am Reply with quote
What i want to know is who's singing a cover of enjoy the silence?
Woomy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:37 am Reply with quote
moteless wrote:

If I remember correctly, it was implied in the manga that when it came to sexuality, Motoko was bisexual. Plus, context is everything. There could be more to that scene that just some kiss between two girl cyborgs.

Also, something tells me you wouldn't have said anything if it were a heterosexual implication.

Inb4 all the comments claiming the "Social Justice Warriors" are trying to ruin entertainment, and allegedly the world by having people "senselessly pander" to them.
Vesemir

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:46 am Reply with quote
Very nice tbh, looking forward to it.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:49 am Reply with quote
The visual and aural designs being proffered here are fine, but nothing more. Their opulence, I should add, is no remarkable feat given the budget involved. Not only is there little in this trailer to distinguish the film from any other contemporary live-action sci-fi, but the use of a flat, dirgy rock song suggests that those expecting something of distinction may stay clear of the box office.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:53 am Reply with quote
Woomy wrote:
moteless wrote:

If I remember correctly, it was implied in the manga that when it came to sexuality, Motoko was bisexual.

More than just implied, the Major and her two girlfriends had a drug-fueled VR orgy in the original manga.
anddo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:55 am Reply with quote
moteless wrote:

In the original manga Kusanagi has girlfriends and has lesbian sex with them. The scene in this trailer is actually pretty tame and it seems to me like you're expressing a bit of homophobia here.

The real problem with this trailer is a lack of mechs and the rest of Section 9 as well as real-world military involvement in the story. I'm also worried that no real intelligent commentary from the manga and anime will be carried over.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5