• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: The Creators of Pokemon Adventures

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:53 am Reply with quote
Interesting read about the manga. Surprised you didn't change Satoshi Yamamoto to spoiler[Ash] spoiler[Ketchum.]
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:31 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the interview. But seriously, 150 million copies?! Worldwide right?
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:32 am Reply with quote
Now this is cool! If you can believe it, Pokemon Special is actually the very first manga I ever read, though in a censored, left-to-right version. I only started getting back into it when I started college once I learned how different it was from the anime. I can definitely say that PokeSpe's popularity is justified, because it does lots of things better than the anime while offering its own take on the game series without feeling like a straightforward retelling with no substance. Now, I own volumes 1 all the way to the end of the Emerald arc, along with most of the Black and White volumes. I just need to read the Diamond and Pearl saga, XY, and ORAS. PokeSpe has even influenced the writing of my current Pokemon fan fic, and seriously, I don't know where I'd be without this awesome manga series.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:26 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:

I would assume so. PokeSupe doesn't sell that well in Japan so most of those sales are from overseas.

-Stuart Smith
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
tintor2 wrote:

I would assume so. PokeSupe doesn't sell that well in Japan so most of those sales are from overseas.

-Stuart Smith

Aw that's a shame to hear, but at the same time nice to know it's doing well enough to continue because man to I love Pokespe. Sure the anime recently got watchable but I doubt it'll ever hit quite as much of a mark with me as Pokespe does with it's rotating cast of solid characters with their own different motives (even if each arc kinda flubs their endings a little)

Even if there is a possibility that they're being nice for an interview, it is nice to see that they do actively enjoy what they do since that's always been on the back of my mind when working on a franchise manga like this. Constantly working in the same world under a set time frame and having to work with an ever constant source material doesn't sound easy and seems like the kind of things most creatives would turn their noses up at. If they are happy tho I'm happy, because Pokespe makes me happy.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:21 am Reply with quote
Pokespe's awesome. I remember being younger and hanging out on threads on pokemon forums where we would send emails to Viz asking if they would please translate the stuff after volume 14, which they eventually did. It's still rather annoying that Viz has split up the series between several different titles, but I think as of now you CAN read it all in order.

Really great adventure manga, with lots of surprisingly brutal plot points.
1dbad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:49 am Reply with quote
Great interview. Answered a lot of behind-the-scenes questions I've always wondered about. Working on the series has become pretty hectic nowadays, but it's nice to see they're just as passionate about it as ever.

It's sad Yamamoto dealt with so much negativity at first. I like Mato's style, but I personally think his art is a lot stronger. At least his reception has improved as time has gone on.
ZouhanXIII

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:17 am Reply with quote
And all that's left is an anime adaptation Laughing
1dbad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:33 pm Reply with quote
ZouhanXIII wrote:
And all that's left is an anime adaptation Laughing

I'm still surprised they haven't even done a special (heh) for it.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
the article wrote:
Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon were recently released. How do you deal with a new video game? Is there any coordination for the manga adaptation?

Kusaka:
Not at all. The only advantage we have is that we get the game like two months before release so we can start getting acquainted with the story and prepare new scripts. That's all. Later, while playing the game, I can ask if I have any doubts, but most of the time I don't ask, because I can get a response that make me lose part of my creative freedom. So sometimes I just pass on feedback. (laughs)

This is hilarious to me. There's so little oversight or micro-management they try hard not to ask any questions for fear of micro-management. I more or less do this at my job! It is surreal to think they just get the game early and are told "play it and write."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1