• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2016

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Has one piece ever NOT been on top considering every volume sells at least 2.5 mil.

Not complaining, just wondering.
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:00 pm Reply with quote
What a decline from last year for so many series. Too much bomba. OP is dead. spoiler[joke] AssClass finishing in 2nd. Nice. Bleach ends things with a bang.
MysticLeviathan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:00 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
Has one piece ever NOT been on top considering every volume sells at least 2.5 mil.

Attack on Titan was very close a couple of years ago. And with the new anime season coming out next year, it could get really close again, if not surpass One PIece next year.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:02 pm Reply with quote
For some reason, I always seem to forget how popular Kingdom is in Japan.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:03 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:

Attack on Titan came close to topping the list in 2014. It actually outsold One Piece in the first half of that year by over 3,000,000 units, but then OP caught up and eventually surpassed it at the end of the year by just a bit over 157,000 units.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:24 pm Reply with quote
MysticLeviathan wrote:
ultimatehaki wrote:

Attack on Titan was very close a couple of years ago. And with the new anime season coming out next year, it could get really close again, if not surpass One PIece next year.

Not likely, AoT has significantly lower per volume sales than OP. It was only close that one year due to backlog purchases, which usually happens when a new anime launches (which also happened with Seven Deadly, which was able to place 2nd due to anime backlog purchase boost), and also because that happens to be the year that OP released less volumes than usual (thus OP's lowest annual sales to date). It's incredibly difficult to get that kind of backlog boost from a 2nd season anime.

That said, the manga story has been picking up lately, and something big might happen soon, if that happens, with good marketing timing (like concurrent big feature film release or some other promotion) AoT could potentially get a big boost both in terms backlog sales and a boost to new volume sales that would together drive up sales by more than 2 times. When that happens AoT could surpass One Piece, but without that, it is unlikely to happen with just an anime season 2 alone.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:

Attack on Titan came close to topping the list in 2014. It actually outsold One Piece in the first half of that year by over 3,000,000 units, but then OP caught up and eventually surpassed it at the end of the year by just a bit over 157,000 units.

I think that's because AoT had more volumes that year than OP since Oda was sick for a while.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:55 pm Reply with quote
If Oda does not have a literal bathtub full of money to sit in, I will be sorely disappointed.
ew121

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Hero Academia backlog sales were pretty big weren't they. Almost 3 millions in backlog sales.

The actual volumes sell around 450/500k and it released 5 volumes this year which is around 2.2 millions, the same as Assassination Classroom. In comparison other Shonen JUMP series like One Piece, Kingdom, Bleach and World Trigger had 4 volumes released this year.

Expect it to sell around 2.5 millions next year since season 2 don't really give boosts, well unless it starts selling 700k or something.

Last edited by ew121 on Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:43 am; edited 2 times in total
ew121

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
If Oda does not have a literal bathtub full of money to sit in, I will be sorely disappointed.

Oda's contract isn't very good, he gets less than 10% of what his volumes make.

Granted, he's still really rich, just not as rich as people might think.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Dam One Piece selling double the amount of Assassination Classroom wonder if he got a scrooge mcduck vault to dive in
Gamer Goku

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:37 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Dam One Piece selling double the amount of Assassination Classroom wonder if he got a scrooge mcduck vault to dive in

The guy above you says otherwise. Laughing
??????

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

Oda makes more than enough money for that.

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2010-12-22/magazine/one-piece-creator-oda-made-2-billion-yen

And this was before the series REALLY blew up with it's big war arc and stuff. So I think he can fill a pool of the stuff.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Frankly, I expected Naruto to still be clinging on for dear life, and it probably still is overseas given that it's the best-selling manga in the United States.
theNightster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:54 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:

when Attack on Titan first got popular it out sold one piece
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3