• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Comic Market 91 Attracts 170,000 on Day 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fantaselion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:41 am Reply with quote
I just thought it was in anime where that many people showed up.....I was wrong.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:37 am Reply with quote
With these figures, I wouldn't be surprised if we get past 600,000 by events' end.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I saw a pretty damn large number of foreigners while I was there today, compared to last year.

In the past it's only been a handful here and there but this time I feel like it might have quadrupled in number. That would match the overall rise in tourism that Japan has gotten this year. I feel a bit sorry for them though, they always look shell-shocked like they just got off of Normandy beach or something.
manapear

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I wonder with how many anime are growing the market and selling so much, how the number might grow next year.
Mike Jensen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:57 am Reply with quote
manapear wrote:
I wonder with how many anime are growing the market and selling so much, how the number might grow next year.

I would estimate that it might get past 600,000. I wouldn't be in a few years if the magical million mark is achieved.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:30 am Reply with quote
Mike Jensen wrote:
manapear wrote:

I would estimate that it might get past 600,000. I wouldn't be in a few years if the magical million mark is achieved.

That's not really physically possible. The venue is not that large...

If you literally had everyone cram into the halls shoulder to shoulder it's probably only ~100,000 people that could fit into East 1-6 and West 1-6. Add the outside areas for queues and maybe daily attendance could reach 200,000 but any more than that and you literally couldn't fit more people.

Also, consider that there are a total of 1000 tables each day. If there were 300,000 people each day, and they each buy ~4 books, that's ~1200 books sold per table, or considering that it's only open for 6 hours each day, selling a book every 20 seconds for 6 hours straight. The space required for the 1.2 million books would also be untenable.

I just don't think comiket could grow any more unless it expanded either the number of days or the venue it uses... It currently uses all of big site, but they have been constructing new halls... East 7 and East 8... here's a map (they're the ones circled in red on the left:

https://twitter.com/nandakaomo/status/770863961201741824/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

As you can see, they'd add maybe another ~10% to the possible table capacity, but that's about it. It used to be the parking lot where everyone would line up to get into the East halls, but now they've moved that nearly a kilometer from the big site entrance to the east out by the ocean.

Big site is the biggest convention center venue in Tokyo proper (the only bigger one is Makuhari Messe, where they hold the Tokyo Game show/car show, but that's out in Chiba), and I think there's a bigger venue in Yokohama but I've never been there.
So comiket simply could never grow more than another 15-20% bigger than it already is. If more people than that show up, they wouldn't even be able to get in the damn building, or buy anything at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1