• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese gov't to sponsor anime production

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 1:42 am Reply with quote
and this is why we suck

them > us
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 2:03 am Reply with quote
I don't know, I'd rather see my tax dollars go into something a little more important than making cartoons.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 2:08 am Reply with quote
but think of the economic boost.
Delthayre

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 8:02 am Reply with quote
I think this is a fine idea. I've always supported government cultural endowments as a way of peretuating an element of a culture. However, I hope they are selective regarding their choice of who they support.
SkullKnight

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:18 am Reply with quote
I doubt that would work over here in the states. As many problems we're having with budgets and education short falls. Culture is going down the toilet here. Why do you think we are searching elsewhere for culture. We need to dump welfare, dump alot of the jobs that are between the funds for education and the actually schools (why the hell does a member of the board of education need to be paid 100,000 and up a year. Thats BS! Superindentents axed, all the officials at the capitol who arrange the funds axed. Ding! you've freed up alot of money right there. Now if we could stop spending billions overseas. Ah.... oops I've made this another rant. Confused sorry.

Anybody else got something they want to get off there chest Wink
Holy Vampire 32

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Sup all,

This is a very intersting idea. I think that this is an idea that America needs. Like SkullKnight said "Culture is going down the toilet here." and its true just take a look at what's on T.V. the bulk of youth spends its time infront of the lit damnation and to be exposed to what? WWF, Jerry Springer, Jackass, and not to mention all the other crap that floats around there. Now don't get me wrong, I'm 16 and I still like to watch T.V. its not like I don't it. Its just that there isn't anything really on that can really help kids these days, but just slapping on a ton of educational shows which most of the time bore the crap out of kids, isn't the solution but its still a problem that needs to be adressed by the government. But only when Bush and everyone else has solved the problems that have already exist and have existed for many years. One such example is the homeless, I say that the money should be spent here rather then over seas, but even inlight of that I still support our troops over seas wishing for a safe return, but until someone or something drastic happens it won't be address and we'll still live with all this crap sourround us. I don't hold the answers and I don't expect that anyone else has it eaither but in due time some one will. And i don't expect anyone to agree with mebut hey that's just my two cents.

Exclamation !!HOLY CACA!! Exclamation That was one hell of a rant, ok I'm done...for now Twisted Evil

-Holy Vampire 32 Twisted Evil

===============================================End Transmission 8:23:53 PM
===============================================
DCRavenX

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:51 pm Reply with quote
We do have the national endowment for the arts, so our government sponsores some cultural works, (of course we only hear about it when some idiot decides to throw feces at paintings of religiously iconic figures) but why couldn't they fund animated art.

back in the early nintees didn't the national drug council sponsor an animated special called the cartoon all-stars?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:29 pm Reply with quote
DCRavenX wrote:
back in the early nintees didn't the national drug council sponsor an animated special called the cartoon all-stars?

I think thats a bit diferent to what the Japanese gov't have in mind.
molloaggie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 2:25 am Reply with quote
Don't worry! I'm sure that the Japanese government with accidently fund a full hentai production because somebody calls it art. Wink
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:42 am Reply with quote
Japanese gov't to sponsor anime production (2003-08-15 17:58:35)
As part of their campaign to promote anime, the Japanese Ministry of Culture announced their intention to give financial aid to "promising" anime projects beginning in 2004. The program aims to find and develop new, younger anime creators with the hopes of channeling their artistic potential. Source: Animaxis [ discuss ]

Maybe it's nothing, but I find myself just wondering what strings might be attached. Especially the bit about "channelling their artistic potential."
radicaledward

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:13 pm Reply with quote
molloaggie wrote:
Don't worry! I'm sure that the Japanese government with accidently fund a full hentai production because somebody calls it art. Wink

Even if they do I doubt people would make a big uproar about it - Japanese culture is alot more sexualy liberal than Western cultures.
king_micah

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I still doubt people will be okay with funding LA Blue Girl ripoffs.
LuppyLuptonium

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 12:58 am Reply with quote
I know some of you may be asking why.... The answer is simple, money... The anime news service doesn't allow direct linking to their stories (they are all just printed on the main page making linking to a particular story impossable) But check out this story posted on their website

Quote:
8-15-03---- JETRO Investigates USA Anime Market Size
Courtesy Yukio-san's referal:

It turns out by investigation of The Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO) that the market scale of the Japanese-made animation in 2002 in the U.S. amounted to estimated 4,360,110,000 dollars (523,200 million yen). The U.S. hits the scale which corresponds by about 3.2 times the steel product frame imported from Japan in the same year. It seems that it is in a background that evaluation in the U.S. of Japanese-made animation -- Director Hayao Miyazaki's "Spirited Away" will win the U.S. Academy Award in March, this year -- is increasing every year. For soft incomes, such as 3,937 million dollars and video sale, the movie box office revenue of 415 million dollars and theater public presentation is [ the items / license incomes, such as character rental fees, such as "Dragon ball Z", and television broadcasting rights, ] 8,110,000 dollars.

Source: The Daily Yomiuri

http://www.animenewsservice.com/ is the URL of the site I got that from
nyana

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Even if they do I doubt people would make a big uproar about it - Japanese culture is alot more sexualy liberal than Western cultures.

......and where exactly did you get that idea from?
radicaledward

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:24 am Reply with quote
nyana wrote:

......and where exactly did you get that idea from?

When I took Anthropology. You must remeber that this is on a relitive scale in comparison to other world cultures, and as such most cultures are more sexualy liberal than say the culture here in the United States, and as such things that are considered unusual here are common place in Japan. One quick example of a cultural difference is the public baths in Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2