• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Even Adults Will Want to Ride This Giant Pokémon Lapras Plush

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I read the title wrong and mistook it for something dirty. I'm so childish sometimes...
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I can only imagine what the shipping would be to send this bad boy from Japan to the US....
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:18 pm Reply with quote
DEKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAI
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:58 pm Reply with quote
That giant Lapras plush is very captivating. Smile It looks as if it's swimming through the seas while enjoying the clear blue skies.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:41 am Reply with quote
I collect plushes, and I have more Pokémon plushes than any other franchise. I'd put this on my list, if it weren't for how I happened to be at the NYC Nintendo Store in 2011 and got the flip side: A tiny Lapras.

I might still put the big Lapras on the list anyway so the little Lapras can ride the big Lapras.
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:46 am Reply with quote
Very cute! Would have ate this up if I was younger.
SniperRuleZ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:21 am Reply with quote
27,000 yen isn't a problem at all - it's the international shipping fee. And it exceeded most carrier size limitation.
Lenks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:17 am Reply with quote
SniperRuleZ wrote:
27,000 yen isn't a problem at all - it's the international shipping fee. And it exceeded most carrier size limitation.

Considering I work in shipping, the two major carriers, FedEx and UPS, would have no issues shipping this overseas. When I was in Japan, I noticed a lot of DHL. DHL is a parcel service, so this is too big.

Most of the height is from the neck and head area. A packer would bend that down to make it shorter. It'll still cost a pretty penny to ship though.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:37 pm Reply with quote
SniperRuleZ wrote:

I see plenty of Japanese arcade machines get shipped overseas, and the operators pay through the nose to get them (sometimes equaling or exceeding the cost of the machine itself). This plush would be no problem by comparison, I presume.

I mean, it's not a LOT of these arcade machines, but the fact that some pizza places, movie theaters, and shopping malls have the latest Arc System Works fighting games or 2016 editions of rhythm games shows that yes, shipping companies DO have ways of bringing large objects over.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Well, from the size of it looks like only kids can ride on it. Not adults. But yep it's one of the cutest Pokemon. But I prefer Eevee. Always have always will til the day I die. So sorry Lapras, you're cute but not my type.
Lenks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:42 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
SniperRuleZ wrote:

I see plenty of Japanese arcade machines get shipped overseas, and the operators pay through the nose to get them (sometimes equaling or exceeding the cost of the machine itself). This plush would be no problem by comparison, I presume.

I mean, it's not a LOT of these arcade machines, but the fact that some pizza places, movie theaters, and shopping malls have the latest Arc System Works fighting games or 2016 editions of rhythm games shows that yes, shipping companies DO have ways of bringing large objects over.

Those would be shipped freight. Freight shipments are mostly stipulated by weight. Usually anything over 150lbs will go freight. Arcade machines would definitely fit that criteria. Dimensional weight is what drives the costs.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:03 am Reply with quote
Lenks wrote:
Those would be shipped freight. Freight shipments are mostly stipulated by weight. Usually anything over 150lbs will go freight. Arcade machines would definitely fit that criteria. Dimensional weight is what drives the costs.

Huh, is that so? What are the biggest differences between shipping freight and this plush?
Lenks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:31 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Lenks wrote:

Huh, is that so? What are the biggest differences between shipping freight and this plush?

The fact that the plush is 30x lighter than a standard freight shipment?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Lenks wrote:
The fact that the plush is 30x lighter than a standard freight shipment?

Well, no, I don't mean about this plush in particular, but what, in general, causes something to qualify as a freight shipment? Is it weight and size? Is it quantity of items? Is it the distance shipped? Is it something else?

What I had in mind was that a few small domestic companies (in the United States, I mean) that make arcade machines will ship them out using USPS, UPS, or FedEx to each individual owner, or using other services if they're delivered overseas. American arcade gaming is so niche (besides redemption machines) that these companies do no mass production or distribution centers, and machines are shipped one by one. They're sent like any other package, only it weighs like 200 pounds (and have massive shipping fees for that reason--in the thousands of dollars sometimes as they also typically have "this side up," "fragile," and "hazardous materials" conditions too, and sometimes "rush" for private owners). Would this be freight as well?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1