• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Former Morning Musume Idol Mari Yaguchi Claims to Have Seen UFO in Mexico

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:07 pm Reply with quote
In Mexico? Ha! What was she doing in Mexico, anyway?
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:38 pm Reply with quote
That's interesting, though I take exception with jumping to the alien conclusion - certainly, there could be something weird going on, but people always jump to "aliens" or "ghosts" for no reason.
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:06 am Reply with quote
HA! I LOVE IT!
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:08 am Reply with quote
Mexico is no place for a celebrity, it's more dangerous than the US, and I do want to know a little bit more about her sighting.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:34 am Reply with quote
Plot twist: She may have been a chuni
kgw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:35 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Mexico is no place for a celebrity, it's more dangerous than the US, and I do want to know a little bit more about her sighting.

You do know that millions of tourists, including celebrities, go to Mexico every year, don't you? Rolling Eyes
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:09 am Reply with quote
"My file for what to do if an advanced alien species comes calling? It's three pages long, and it begins with 'Step one: find God'" -The Expanse
TCJJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:34 am Reply with quote
Obviously she means New Mexico, and they were definitely little, grey men.

In all seriousness, I've blocked out most of my school years from memory because most of those memories aren't good ones. I'm not really surprised that anyone else could do the same thing.

She's definitely a bit... special. Or likes the attention, anyway.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:51 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

You do know that millions of tourists, including celebrities, go to Mexico every year, don't you? Rolling Eyes

True, true, but you can still be killed there, and not everyone comes back alive. Though, I think Hoppy800's point was that she could have a greater chance for being kidnapped for ransom or other cruel activities because of her supposed celebrity. Being honest though, I think the crime cartels of Mexico probably don't know that Japanese Idols are supposed to be celebrities.

Think she would be in more danger to be kidnapped for being a woman, so she can be drugged and raped to be a sex slave for the cartels or for small time crime lords.
DontCare22

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:14 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
kgw wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

True, true, but you can still be killed there, and not everyone comes back alive.

Allow me to submit some data for your consideration.

The intentional homicide rate in the US as per the UNODC is 3.9/100000/year (2013), in Mexico it's 15.7, and in the part of decadent Europe where I happen to live (Spain) it's 0.7. There's a larger difference between the latter and the US (5.6X) than between the US and Mexico (4X).

So if you choose to view Mexico as a failed state run by cartels and crime lords, don't be surprised if people from the other side of the pond view the US as a place full of insane people shooting at each other.

BTW the rate in Japan is 0.3.
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:53 am Reply with quote
I hope she'll post the image or vid somewhere.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:08 am Reply with quote
the difference is that the rate in mexico depends on the area, some are safeer than the usa, other are ingobernable; regarding kidnapping, unless she is invovled in a cartel the chances are abismally low, since most people that get kidnapped are in the cartel busines, either by directly selling drugs or by laundering cartel money.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:14 am Reply with quote
Kooky ANN story of the year candidate
DontCare22

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:55 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
the difference is that the rate in mexico depends on the area, some are safeer than the usa, other are ingobernable; regarding kidnapping, unless she is invovled in a cartel the chances are abismally low, since most people that get kidnapped are in the cartel busines, either by directly selling drugs or by laundering cartel money.

Interestingly Wikipedia lists regional rates for both Mexico and the US.

As you said, there's a lot a variability, with e.g. Yucatán being safer than all but a handful of (US) states, and several places being problematic, but I was really surprised by the data for the US.

So there's New Hampshire, Vermont or Iowa at "European/Canadian levels"... but WTH was going on with DC? 41.8 homicides per 100000 in 2000 is close to current Venezuelan levels. Even the much improved 13.9 in 2012 is around Mexico's average levels. Politics meets crime? Are other Americans wary of going to DC the same way (visibly) some are regarding Mexico?

(not trying to turn this into a US vs. whatever contest, but honestly curious about the perception of violence over there)
Turro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:40 am Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
In Mexico? Ha! What was she doing in Mexico, anyway?

México is one of the ten most visited countries by international tourists in the world, (almost 30 million tourists in 2016.) And believe me is a great place to visit.
Also there is an asian community that has been growing rapidly in recent decades.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2