• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Asterisk War: The Academy City on the Water [Limited Edition] Blu-Ray 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:38 am Reply with quote
Usually these types of shows either get the jokey Funimation meme dub approach where the cast just has fun with the show or an awkward half hearted Sentai Filmworks dub where the cast's disdain for the show's awfulness can almost be heard in their delivery. So I'm honestly surprised by how competently made the dub for this show is.

It's such a generic show but the dialogue has some nice flair to it and the casting choices are pretty spot on. Even the minor roles are pretty well done with people like Vic Mignogna, Patrick Seitz, Kaiji Tang, Richard Epcar and all sorts of guys you'd never expect to hear in a dub of a show like this.

It almost feels like a waste. I mean, there are a million shows which deserved a dub of this quality more The Asterisk War. I blame DigiBro for giving it so much attention.
zztop

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
it also brings up the question of why Haruka would have fought in Eclipse in the first place.

I'll give a LN hint:
spoiler[It's related to Haruka's father. Haruka and Ayato don't have the same father.]
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:55 am Reply with quote
Yeah it sounded like Flora's VA was doing helium at the time or something. Looking at her other work, it doesn't seem to be regular occurrence either, nor was that her first main role, though she was and is relatively inexperienced. Who the hell told her that was good or worse yet told her to go in that direction?
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So I'm honestly surprised by how competently made the dub for this show is.

I am not since this Aniplex and they want to make a ton of money which means making it sound good so more people want to buy it.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:48 pm Reply with quote
sailorsweeper wrote:
Quote:
So I'm honestly surprised by how competently made the dub for this show is.

I am not since this Aniplex and they want to make a ton of money which means making it sound good so more people want to buy it.
Yeah, I expect that quality from Aniplex. I just don't expect it to be used on an ecchi harem show
Miguel Angel Garcia Owen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm still pissed off that THIS got a seccond season and we had to deal with a single season for Chilvary of a failed knight.
Testarossah

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Miguel Angel Garcia Owen wrote:
I'm still pissed off that THIS got a seccond season and we had to deal with a single season for Chilvary of a failed knight.

And I hope it gets a third season so I can laugh a lot in the commentary sections Laughing (And I'll be happy too, since it's better anyway).
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:01 am Reply with quote
I noticed that the second season's first half is already on pirated websites but hasn't yet shown up dubbed on Funimation's site. How does that happen? This also isn't the first series I've seen this happen with.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:10 am Reply with quote
Richmyster84 wrote:
I noticed that the second season's first half is already on pirated websites but hasn't yet shown up dubbed on Funimation's site. How does that happen? This also isn't the first series I've seen this happen with.
The series is owned by Aniplex. They allowed Funimation to stream the show as it was airing, but they didn't give them the dub which isn't really surprising.

This Blu-ray came out well over a month ago so it'd be weird if it wasn't up on pirate sites by now.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:05 am Reply with quote
Testarossah wrote:

And I hope it gets a third season so I can laugh a lot in the commentary sections Laughing (And I'll be happy too, since it's better anyway).

unfortunately the chances of that are low considering that this series IS BASED OFF OF A LIGHT NOVEL which have a tendency of not having a third season for their anime based series that is not named high school dxd. and yes, while other harem anime series that are adapted from light novels did get OVA sequels and/or movies, they technically didn't get a new tv season after showing two. only dxd did. though i am disappointed that chilvary of a failed knight didn't get an english dub though.

and speaking of which. was kinda surprised that its chibiusa's VA that was doing flora cause for a lot of die hard dubbers, she kinda sounded at times way too similar to the english dub voice for Clemont's sister Eureka (Bonnie for the english version) from Pokemon XY. was kinda expecting aniplex to pull out all the stops when it came to flora and possibly have Stephanie Seph to voice flora which everyone even those most disdained dub hater would give the thumbs up for since seph is the second western VA that have a tendency to make moe characters like flora sound very well in the english side of the aisle (the other is funi's Monica Rial).

though the reviewer have the sub.dub ratings accurate, she kinda have it incorrect when it came to sub flora. she doesnt sound like nails on a chalkboard. in my case , its more like a dying banshee if nothing else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:33 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Testarossah wrote:

unfortunately the chances of that are low considering that this series IS BASED OFF OF A LIGHT NOVEL which have a tendency of not having a third season for their anime based series that is not named high school dxd. and yes, while other harem anime series that are adapted from light novels did get OVA sequels and/or movies, they technically didn't get a new tv season after showing two. only dxd did. though i am disappointed that chilvary of a failed knight didn't get an english dub though

Chivalry of a failed knight is getting a dub. Sentai announced it a couole weeks ago. Honestly though both shows were only ok and i barely prefferred Asterisk to Chivalry.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:51 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

unfortunately the chances of that are low considering that this series IS BASED OFF OF A LIGHT NOVEL which have a tendency of not having a third season for their anime based series that is not named high school dxd. and yes, while other harem anime series that are adapted from light novels did get OVA sequels and/or movies, they technically didn't get a new tv season after showing two. only dxd did. though i am disappointed that chilvary of a failed knight didn't get an english dub though.

Not only DxD.
There are some exceptions like "Slayers", "Zero no Tsukaima", "Shakugan no Shana" and most recently "Date a Life" and very probably SAO.
But in the case of "Asterisk War" the probability is pretty low. For what I read the increase of LN sold was pretty slim so probably no more seasons.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Testarossah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:52 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Testarossah wrote:

unfortunately the chances of that are low considering that this series IS BASED OFF OF A LIGHT NOVEL which have a tendency of not having a third season for their anime based series that is not named high school dxd. and yes, while other harem anime series that are adapted from light novels did get OVA sequels and/or movies, they technically didn't get a new tv season after showing two.

True. Unfortunately nowadays it's pretty rare to see some animes getting more than two seasons, add that to the mess they did in the last arc they adapted in Asterisk and the chances become even lower. At least they didn't adapted 6 volumes in 12 episodes lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1