• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
AR Game Maker Sues Milwaukee, Wisconsin for Legal Response to Pokémon Go

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:10 am Reply with quote
Looking at the reasonings behind requiring a permit for AR games to be used in the state parks, I think that's justified, especially if Pokémon GO users have been causing problems with their carelessness. I don't know what Candy Lab has to gain by attacking Milwaukee in court, considering it'll probably cost a lot more than obtaining a license, unless Candy Lab knows Texas Rope 'Em won't be allowed in the parks in the first place.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:33 am Reply with quote
Good luck to Candy Lab winning; they'll need it. While it's understandable why the county establish their ordinance, it does need more clarifying.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:46 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Looking at the reasonings behind requiring a permit for AR games to be used in the state parks, I think that's justified, especially if Pokémon GO users have been causing problems with their carelessness. I don't know what Candy Lab has to gain by attacking Milwaukee in court, considering it'll probably cost a lot more than obtaining a license, unless Candy Lab knows Texas Rope 'Em won't be allowed in the parks in the first place.

That's the reverse. It is the precedent that is set by this action, which will kill this type of gaming. That is what Candy Lab is worried about. It is not just Milwaukee, they are worried about, but that this could apply to all 50 states and plus territories, any city or municipal parks, other public lands. So in effect you might have to deal with hundreds or thousands of permits across the United States. That is not even mentioning everything outside of the United States. If Milwaukee wins, this will effectively kill this type of gaming in the United States. No more Pokemon Go.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:06 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
That's the reverse. It is the precedent that is set by this action, which will kill this type of gaming. That is what Candy Lab is worried about. It is not just Milwaukee, they are worried about, but that this could apply to all 50 states and plus territories, any city or municipal parks, other public lands. So in effect you might have to deal with hundreds or thousands of permits across the United States. That is not even mentioning everything outside of the United States. If Milwaukee wins, this will effectively kill this type of gaming in the United States. No more Pokemon Go.

In that case, then, now I seriously hope Candy Lab comes out a winner from their lawsuit.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:31 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Sounds like quite a conundrum then. On one hand, you have people who want to promote these sorts of games where you walk around outside a bunch, and on the other, you have the careless troublemakers responsible for the "one bad apple spoils the whole bunch" adage.

For me, I like the existence of Pokémon GO and such, but at the same time, I want the people playing this game to be responsible, both for their own safety and the safety of everyone and everything around them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1