• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Why to Choose New Gunpla: An Io Frame Shiden Review

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:37 am Reply with quote
As a long-time collector of SD Gundams ("super deformed" models with proportions similar to Funko Pop figures), I've watched the quality and workmanship of the line ebb and flow over the years. Since the SD model kit line features a lot of remakes and retoolings (including multiple versions of the same Barbatos Form with the span of a year) it's comparatively easy to measure changes in production and design.

In my experience, the very best-designed SD kits were released between 2003 and 2006 (i.e. the SEED/SEED Destiny/Stargazer kits). While there have been some very good recent models, including the Unicorn-reated stuff, this has been balanced out by most of the Ex-Standard line, which has a lot of inherent problems.
Nyren

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I just recently finished putting together a 1/100 Barbatos Full Mechanics and it was definitely one of the easiest kits I've ever built. I even managed to apply the stickers with little to no problem, which is a shock to me because normally I have a lot of trouble applying stickers to the point where they eventually lose their cling. I don't have a very steady hand so it's a chore to line it up properly.

I also cut really close to the pieces. I hate leaving nubs behind, so I use my pair of nippers which can cut really close to the part. nine times out of ten I get a clean cut with no noticeable nub mark. Occasionally, even if I'm cutting it right, there will still be stress and it'll leave a mark behind, and even rarer, I sometimes actually cut the part itself. I might get lucky and it wasn't an important bit of plastic, or maybe I accidentally sheared off a connector or detail bit. Thems the breaks.

I'm currently working on the Master Grade Nu Gundam ver. Ka. I have the chest done, but applying the foil bits was a real pain. I didn't realize they weren't stickers or decals. They're just bits of shiny foil that cling to you and metal objects because of static. I hate it. I eventually got them on, but it was so frustrating.
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote
How ironic; I just finished my RG Sinanjuu just over an hour ago.

I also cut close to the pieces. I can't stand having a ton of nubs cluttering my work area, but that has also resulted in some wrong cuts. I'll have to look into using sandpaper, as I currently just use markers to cover the marks or leave it.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:27 am Reply with quote
My favorite Gunpla are GMs. They also strike me as easier models to start with.

Gonna get me one of these next paycheck I think... https://www.amazon.com/RGM-79-GM-Ground-Type-Official/dp/B06W56PWCG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493744242&sr=8-1&keywords=rgm-79+ground+type
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1