• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Figure Build Close-Up: 2014 Master Grade Build Gundam Mark II

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
The Mk II is my favorite Gundam, and the Mk II Titans 2.0 (which is essentially the same kit as the Build Gundam Mk II, except for the V-fin and backpack) is probably the best Master Grade in my collection. I'd definitely recommend any of the post-2005 Mk II kits to people interested in putting together their first Master Grade.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Being a modeler from my grade school days the smell of plastics & paints, nippers & x-acto blades, and that final top coat of matte finish ( Though I'm used to painting all the various parts & sub assemblies. ) are so familiar. I really enjoy seeing your assembly work and the care & thought that goes into the Gundam kits. Not your typical "Shake the Box" modeling.

Now I know that Gundams get used in combat in the various series so I would expect them to at times have signs of field repairs and weathering from harsh environments. How about showing us how you would handle that?

Mark Gosdin
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:24 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
Now I know that Gundams get used in combat in the various series so I would expect them to at times have signs of field repairs and weathering from harsh environments. How about showing us how you would handle that?

Here are two tutorials from a few years back that taught me a lot about weathering and simulating damage on model kits:

http://camospecs.com/Article/Details/51
http://camospecs.com/Article/Details/59
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:39 am Reply with quote
geeh kinda wish I had the extra time to put in that much extra effort, hell I wish I had the skills to build the custom kit I've been dreaming up for a long time now but nope I'm a straight build with little customizing practice
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:35 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And sprayed it with a matte top coat. Notice I am holding the spray can about 6 inches away from the piece. And you can't tell in the photo, but I am standing in the direction the wind is blowing. I always spray top coat outside to avoid fumes.

One thing the article didn't mention, but is vitally important, is that you should test your matte spray on a spare empty plastic runner right before you start spraying your model.

Matte top coat spray (especially acrylic matte) is notoriously susceptible to heat and humidity, and can "cloud up" your model with a frosty white film if the weather isn't just right. Always subscribe to the "measure twice, cut once" axiom, especially when you're spraying a kit you've already worked on for a dozen hours.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1