• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GATE Anime's English Dub Casts Jessica Boone as Princess Piña Co Lada

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:10 pm Reply with quote
... Pina Colada? Really? I knew this show was dumb, but I didn't know it was that dumb.

(Though, I fully admit that I play a game with a character named Lid. Like, of a jar.)
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Well that's one guess wrong, for the better actually. Orignally imagined Boone would play the elf girl Tuka and Tiffany Grant would play Pina (I cast them in my head when I first read the manga, it's been ages). Glad to be wrong for once.

This final choice here was actually a boon, no pun intended. Jessica really knocked Pina's voice out of the park. Much improvement over yesterday's David Wald announcement.

Looking forward to hearing the rest of the cast now. Still a chance for Calvello to voice Tuka.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Jessica Boone is great as alway-- wait a sec, is her name ACTUALLY Piña Co Lada?!
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Ah! Came in here expecting people to talk about a certain name and it happened.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Yeah more of a Tiffany Grant role, it is a shame that Colleen Clinkenbeard never does any work with Sentai as this part would also work with her. I'm guessing Rial for Rory, or is that to obvious.

I'm disappointed that they didn't get Chris Patton for Yoji Itami. Since he is a bit between Sagara and Sato.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I am not planning to buy this show, but I am ecstatic to see Jessica Boone. She is such a great voice actress, but she is not in nearly enough dubs.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Jessica Boone is great as alway-- wait a sec, is her name ACTUALLY Piña Co Lada?!

What, you never picked up on that before?

(I'm assuming you've actually seen at least some of the series.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
7jaws7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:27 pm Reply with quote
GATE never really sounded appealing to me, and that character's name reinforced my doubts about this series.

But it's freakin' Jessica Boone - when was the last time I heard her in a dub? I'll give this anime a shot with her involved Smile
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:24 pm Reply with quote
A name from the past! And now I'm excited about the dub. Even when I don't like the show, Canaan especially, I think Jessica Boone's great in the dub but when I love the show... like Kanon I suppose... I think she helps elevate it.

Quote:
Colleen Clinkenbeard never does any work with Sentai

She was in Kanon as well so it's not unheard of, just really unlikely at this point.

And what's weird about the name? Have you ever thought about translated Japanese names and how they must sound in their natural language?

"So is her name literally Love Heartthrob?"
"... uh just call her Doki?"
WingKing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:29 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I am not planning to buy this show, but I am ecstatic to see Jessica Boone. She is such a great voice actress, but she is not in nearly enough dubs.

Yeah, seeing her name definitely caught my attention. She popped up a lot in some of my mid-2000's favorites (Angelic Layer, Kanon, Le Chevalier d'Eon, Kurau: Phantom Memory), but I thought she was mainly into her theatre career these days. It's great to see her coming back to do another show, even if it's one I'm not interested in.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, her name is pretty funny. They don't frequently use her full name in the show, so I didn't know what it was until halfway through when someone spoke it out loud. lol.

Normally they address her as "Your highness" or "Princess" or "Piña."

There are a few names that they seemed to have fun with in this series. Though they tend to be pretty subtle.

I like this VA choice, though.

Animegomaniac wrote:
And what's weird about the name? Have you ever thought about translated Japanese names and how they must sound in their natural language?

Her name isn't weird. It's just funny because it's referring to a pina colada, which is type of cocktail.
https://www.google.com/search?q=pina+colada&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Raebo101

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Raebo101 wrote:

What, you never picked up on that before?

(I'm assuming you've actually seen at least some of the series.)

I haven't actually. I just immediately noticed the name! Laughing
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:03 am Reply with quote
ahh yes
Pina Colada

I've only seen episode one but I recall reading some info about it and seeing her name.
Made me wonder who else in the show has weird names.

I want to know if someone made an AMV of her with the song Escape (The Piña Colada Song) as the music.

EDIT: found it
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:10 am Reply with quote
Just noticed something, she shows up in Ushio & Tora dub of the OVAs (anime#237) so chances are she will show up in the dubbing of the newer adaption. Could be why she shows up in this show.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:46 am Reply with quote
fHow Nayuiki ended up working at a Prague Shakespeare theatre company without telling Yuichi is beyond me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2