• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Fans Pick the Most Anticipated Summer 2017 Anime in 2 Polls

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:23 pm Reply with quote
i'd say this indicates a weak upcoming season, if there's so little agreement (though it's unfair to judge before a single episode has come out).

There aren't many shows i'm looking forward to this summer, though i am intrigued about UFOtable animating a series about sentient bishounen swords
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Putting MHA aside since it's a continuing series. My 3 personnal hyped summer shows are

1.Welcome to the Ballroom
2.Dive!!
3.Ufotable Toulen ranbu

Seeing no mentions of 2 of them breaks my heart.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Love how everyone calls almost every new season weak before anything airs. We sure have been spoiled by AoT and MHA haven't we?
Merxamers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
Love how everyone calls almost every new season weak before anything airs. We sure have been spoiled by AoT and MHA haven't we?

Yeah, and it's hard to tell what will be good before anything comes out. As long as there's 3 or 4 shows i enjoy during a particular season, that's enough for me.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:51 pm Reply with quote
The top two from the Charapedia are my most anticipated too. Summer looks very bleak right now. I would not be surprised if in addition to 3 shows continuing from Spring, I only follow 2 new shows.

7jaws7 wrote:

Summer looks weak. Tell me which new shows you think will be good. And it is not just AoT and MHA, Spring also gave us more Natsume, Eccentric Family and Saekano. We got a new P.A. Works show, KADO is refreshing and SukaSuka is a nice show.

And by the way, I did not see everyone calling the current Spring season weak 3 months ago. And Summer seasons are traditionally weak.
Saffire

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
It's all about what you want, right? I'm sitting on Hell Girl, Kakegurui, New Game, Symphogear and Ballroom right now, plus two carryovers from spring and those Tylor shorts, which is already more titles than I watched in spring without having seen a single frame of summer animation. There's almost always a couple surprises so it wouldn't be strange if I hit 10 titles, which is a very strong season in my book.

People who think this is a weak lineup aren't living right. :p
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I predict this summer season will be the season we'll see multiple shows that will potentially sell 10K+ units per volume, and I'm banking on these 4 shows to be at the cutthroat competition:

- Owarimonogatari
- Fate/Apocrypha
- Senki Zesshō Symphogear AXZ
- Katsugeki! Tōken Ranbu

Of course there are wild cards like New Game S2 and any other new show that becomes surprise hit.
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
It's all about what you want, right?

THIS. I have 16 (YES, 16!!!) new shows I'm gonna pick up right at the summer start, along with Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul as a carryover. Will I stick with them all?...well according to how this season went I'll end up dropping half of them...but the potential is there for standout shows to be missed, so I always give each show I'm even somewhat interested in a chance.

So far my top three are:
1. Saiyuki Reload Blast (I cannot wait for more Sanzo, argggg!!!)
2. Welcome to the Ballroom
3. Restaurant to Another World

But I'm also looking forward to giving Dive!!, Fate/Aprocrypha, Gamers!!, Project Altair, Youkai Apartment, and Katsugeki Touken Ranbu their time too, among so many others!

I can't wait for summer to start!!!! Gotta hurry and finish the rest of Haikyuu!! now!
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Weak summer season? Excuse me?!

With Ballroom e Youkoso, A Centaur's Life and Youkai Apato in the roster? This is the best summer season I've seen since I can remember!
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, just looking at it as far as what the broader fandom is interested in, I DO think Summer looks a little on the weaker side. I realize this is a complaint we hear every damn season, but that doesn't mean it automatically has no merit. People throw it around without doing any research all the time, but that's their own fault. I'm following this stuff pretty consistently and closely and there is nothing here that warrants much broader fandom hype outside of a few minor things. The most hype I've seen is for Kakegurui which is going to be destroyed by Netflix, Fate Apocrypha, which is going to be destroyed by Netflix(weird, is there an echo in here?), and the particular type of people who like things like DIVE and Welcome to the Ballroom are pretty excited for those two. Otherwise, the long time dedicated Monogatari fandom(me!) is getting more of that... and that's literally it, as far as I can tell. Everything else has potential. That's ALWAYS the case, but there is nothing else that looks like it has a large notable fanbase really excited for it. New Game has niche popularity of course, but that's not going to be a huge western hit if the first season is any indication.
But yeah, I think with two of the biggest Western hyped shows being on Netflix, we'll be in for a Summer a little on the quieter side. I'll be very thrilled if something is a surprise hit though. We do get one of those often enough for it to be worth keeping in mind. But looking at things now, I'm not seeing anything that stands out as that show at this point.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm definitely on the side of summer looking relatively light right now. I've pushed back on such perennial sentiment before and I'll have to see the shows before I make any definitive statement either way, but there aren't a huge number that stick out (that won't be taken by Netflix in two cases). It probably doesn't help that it is sitting between two seasons with highly anticipated titles and that it is relatively light on sequels. I'll probably find about as many shows to watch (20-30 new shows) but it probably won't be my heaviest season. Not to say that there aren't worthwhile titles (Owari and New Game being the TV series not picked up by Netflix that I chose for the poll). Though given the discussion of UBW, I don't know that a lack of coverage as Apocrypha airs is necessarily a bad thing.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Fate/Apocrypha and Kakegurui are my hype anime for the summer.

CURSE YOU NETFLIXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Blankslate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:25 pm Reply with quote
My most anticipated are:
Welcome to the Ballroom, Love and Lies, New Game!!, Princess Principal, The Reflection, Made in Abyss (curse you Amazon), and 18if
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Do we start the "is Castlevania an anime" debate here or do we wait for another thread?
animefan1238

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote
There better be more Hifumi in New Game!! because she's adorable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3