• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
non-fiction manga

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Land Stander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if people have some favourite non-fiction manga.
(biographical, autobiographical, historical, educational or informational).

I just finished Ichi-F, and My Lesbian Experience With Loneliness.
Both were incredibly powerful real-life stories.

Any others to recommend (new or old)?
thanks,

LS
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:59 am Reply with quote
Drawn & Quarterly just published a good Korean nonfiction manhwa - Uncomfortably Happily. It's not quite as serious as the other two you mentioned, but still very good.

I also love Cells at Work, which does give a decent amount of (sixth grade level) biology information in a ridiculously fun format.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:46 am Reply with quote
As long as non fiction is the only qualifier:

Junji Ito's Cat Diary Yon & Mu from Kodansha. The noted horror manga writer's amusing story of learning to live with his fiancée's cats.

Not Love but Delicious Foods Make Me So Happy by Fumi Yoshinaga from Yen Press. A tour of the author's favorite restaurants.

Okimono Kimono by Clamp's Mokona from Dark Horse. Strictly speaking not manga. This is a mostly photographic book on all aspects of Kimonos from a collector. It does, however, contain the author's sketches, illustrated explanations and a short manga at the end.

That is all I've got from twenty years of manga collecting.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:20 pm Reply with quote
There is a manga biography on Osamu Tezuka (appropriately titled The Osamu Tezuka Story), though this one isn't self autobiographical (on the basis that Tezuka died in Feb 1989), it is clearly meticulously researched.

There's also the semi-biographical work of Barefoot Gen, based on the mangaka's actual experience with the Hiroshima atomic bomb drop. He also had a short one chapter manga called I Saw It that Last Gap also put out (via Kickstarter), based on the same event.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:00 am Reply with quote
Supposedly both Trainman and My Girlfriend is a Geek are supposed to be based on real life. I think there is some doubt in both cases.

At any rate, we got two versions of Trainman manga, a one volume version from Del Rey and two volumes from Viz. My Girlfriend is a Geek was five volumes from Yen Press.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I liked this Hitler's biography:

https://www.amazon.com/Shigeru-Mizukis-Hitler-Mizuki/dp/1770462104

Its a surprinsingly humanistic and realistic portrayal of Hitler. I can understand why he did what he did thanks to this manga.

Also he wrote some manga books on the history of Japan that are partly autobiographical:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1770461353/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1501966804&sr=8-5

Another good one is this: autobiographical manga of one of manga's pionner artists:

https://www.amazon.com/Drifting-Life-Yoshihiro-Tatsumi/dp/1897299745
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Another interesting one published also as a webcomic is a manga authored by a Westerner manga-artist living in Japan about her life in there:

https://wow-j.com/en/Allguides/other/tips_manners/ae000_en/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1