• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Samurai Warriors DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Why is it that I just think Sengoku Basara is more interesting than this? Maybe it's because the character designs to this anime and game look rather boring. Or that this doesn't have Norio Wakamoto hamming it up big time as a hilariously evil Nobunaga Oda. It may be closer to reality but it's just not quite as entertaining as the over the top Basara.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
Why is it that I just think Sengoku Basara is more interesting than this? Maybe it's because the character designs to this anime and game look rather boring. Or that this doesn't have Norio Wakamoto hamming it up big time as a hilariously evil Nobunaga Oda. It may be closer to reality but it's just not quite as entertaining as the over the top Basara.

I personally don't like Basara. I find it kinda cringeworthy. Oh, and SW Nobunaga >>>>> SB Nobunaga. Basara's Nobunaga is just a comically evil character, even Wakamoto doesn't save him from being obnoxious, while SW Nobunaga is a much more complex character (and also voiced by another legendary voice actor).
Also, I just can't stand Basara's Yukimura.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:11 pm Reply with quote
KutovoiAnton wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:

I personally don't like Basara. I find it kinda cringeworthy. Oh, and SW Nobunaga >>>>> SB Nobunaga. Basara's Nobunaga is just a comically evil character, even Wakamoto doesn't save him from being obnoxious, while SW Nobunaga is a much more complex character (and also voiced by another legendary voice actor).
Also, I just can't stand Basara's Yukimura.

To each his own. Yes, Basara is filled with comical characters, actual Oda wasn't the worst in the whole game series, wait til you get to Sorin Otomo.

And it's par for the course as anime seems to love to portray Oda as evil incarnate anyway or in league with demons. They've been doing it since the 80s and Wrath of the Ninja/Yotoden. Actually even further now that I think about, I mean Black Lion from Go Nagai came out in the 70s.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:33 am Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:

Being entertaining sure hasn't help Basara have much of a presence in the West.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:57 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:

Being entertaining sure hasn't help Basara have much of a presence in the West.
Well that's true.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1