• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Saint Seiya: Saintia Shō Anime's Visual Unveiled

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:02 am Reply with quote
The character design looks good and I have heard that Saint Seiya was big in Japan. I will give the show a try when it gets released. I am somewhat surprised that Netflix went with a remake instead of this show though I guess the original never did get a good release in North America.
DarkLordDragon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:27 am Reply with quote
I love the manga's art more than the anime, why they didn't retain the same art style of the manga and changed to Araki's style!

Stupid decision!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:35 am Reply with quote
also it doesnt make sense storywise. these female saints were supposed to make an appearance and take over seiya's duties after the sanctuary arc. but the original saints were still there even after that arc. now if these new saints came in after the Poseidon arc , then it would make sense since that was the last arc of the original manga.

but from this description of the storyline, its more or less a contradiction. its no wonder die hard saint fans have more or less considered this series a spinoff and non canon to the original at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
musouka

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:41 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
also it doesnt make sense storywise. these female saints were supposed to make an appearance and take over seiya's duties after the sanctuary arc. but the original saints were still there even after that arc. now if these new saints came in after the Poseidon arc , then it would make sense since that was the last arc of the original manga.

but from this description of the storyline, its more or less a contradiction. its no wonder die hard saint fans have more or less considered this series a spinoff and non canon to the original at all.

The last arc of Saint Seiya (discounting the current arc Kurumada is working on for another publisher) was Hades, not Poseidon.

Saintia Shou's plot also runs concurrently with the original manga. It starts with the Galaxian War, just like the original. Also not sure where you're getting the idea that the Saintia are supposed to replace Seiya and company; Saintia are more like personal handmaidens to Athena.

Yeah, it doesn't fit in smoothly with continuity, but not for the reasons you suggested.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:25 am Reply with quote
^Isn't the Next Dimension manga still not finished?
Sergorn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:23 pm Reply with quote
DarkLordDragon wrote:
I love the manga's art more than the anime, why they didn't retain the same art style of the manga and changed to Araki's style!

Because that's what sells the most to StS's niche fanbase sadly, the same fanbase that complains whenever an anime doesn't have "Araki-style" -sic- So since they're aiming this anime as this segment of the fanbase, they went back to a more "Kurumaki" design.

Yeah that sucks. Kuori's art the strongest point of the original manga and they ruined it

Quote:
its no wonder die hard saint fans have more or less considered this series a spinoff and non canon to the original at all.

Next Dimension is the only canon thing outside the original manga anyway so that's a moot.

TOEI has its own "anime continuity" but even then Saintia Shô won't be able to fit with it (too many plot change in the 1986 anime while Saintia Shô adheres fully to the manga continuité) and based on Seiya's design on the first art, they're not even aiming to.

-Sergorn
Mewzard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Enturax wrote:
OMG, Japan is becoming America with their Shonen Jump Weekly crap. Why won't they just finish the canon story which revolves around saving main character's life? You know, dude who ended up as a vegetable in Elysium?

Next Dimension is still running that story, the next batch of chapters should start running in September (tends to be one batch of seven chapters/a volume's worth every six months or so, barring hiatuses).

Toei probably won't start animating Next Dimension until the current arc is resolved and Seiya's situation is changed one way or another. In theory that could be decently soon given whom they are facing next...

spoiler[If anyone can save Seiya's life, it's probably the Ophiuchus Gold Saint, given Asclepius, whom became Ophiuchus, was the God of Medicine and could even revive the dead.]
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:27 am Reply with quote
musouka wrote:

The last arc of Saint Seiya (discounting the current arc Kurumada is working on for another publisher) was Hades, not Poseidon.

Saintia Shou's plot also runs concurrently with the original manga. It starts with the Galaxian War, just like the original. Also not sure where you're getting the idea that the Saintia are supposed to replace Seiya and company; Saintia are more like personal handmaidens to Athena.

Yeah, it doesn't fit in smoothly with continuity, but not for the reasons you suggested.

crap now i remember. i forgot to rewrite that error (first arc is Sanctuary , then its Poseidon ,and the final arc is hades ) . its been so long since shonen jump released the manga and the arcs are so confusing to mix the arcs of the manga let alone the entire series unless your a hardcore fans like those in spanish speaking countries

so while i did made some errors with that statement, i do have some valid points. when it comes to where these female saints fit in line with the original, it definitely doesnt make sense at all.

also when it first announced and premiered in champion red, they made it looked & sounded like this was meant to be a sequel and that team of female saints were meant to replace the original knights after athena used that golden armor to defeat hades. in some anime community forums, most of the hardcore fans like the brazil and in mexico where the fanbase is the strongest were fuming in the mouth on this series. wasnt pretty.
Sergorn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

also when it first announced and premiered in champion red, they made it looked & sounded like this was meant to be a sequel and that team of female saints were meant to replace the original knights after athena used that golden armor to defeat hades.

They really didn't. They announced Saintia Shô with a short prologue chapter that took place right after the Sanctuary and situated the story between the Sanctuary and Poseidon arc - which is the most logical place to try to put a spin off since there is this 30 days period during which the Bronze Saint are in a coma.

And while the beginning of Saintia Shô takes place shortly before and in parrallel to the original manga, the core of the story DO take place between Sanctuary and Poseidon arc.

-Sergorn
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:35 am Reply with quote
Call me in a minority, but I don't think the art style looks that bad, it's better than anything we saw in Soul of Gold.
Sergorn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:55 pm Reply with quote
The issue isn't that the style looks bad, it's that it doesnt look anything like the style of the original author Chimaku Kuori.

To give you a sense of it, this is what the original art looks like (that cover being the obvious inspiration for this visual)

The feels incredibly disrespectful of the author, they basically just gutted her artstyle to make it looks like the original anime style, because it's the most popular amongst the hardcore fanbase who basically tend to complain whenever a new Saint Seiya production comes that don't look like this.

An anime respectful of the original author style would have been much more exciting to me, especially since art is really Saintia Sho's strongest point.

-Sergorn

Last edited by Sergorn on Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:32 pm Reply with quote
The picture link is broken unfortunately Sad

I can understand your points though.
Sergorn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:39 am Reply with quote
Aww I tried editing it with another link.

If that doesn't work, just look up "Saintia Sho Volume 3" on google image and you'll see what I mean Wink

-Sergorn
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I can see it now, no worries. Smile

I do prefer the manga artwork here as much as I do like Araki's original art style for the 80's series/films and Hades Sanctuary OVAs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1