• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cowboy Bebop's Shinichiro Watanabe Directs Blade Runner Anime Short

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raebo101

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and Flying Lotus is composing the music.

But... that's not Yoko Kanno. It has been decreed by the Anime Gods that every new Shinichiro Watanabe show MUST have Yoko Kanno in it somewhere.
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
But... that's not Yoko Kanno. It has been decreed by the Anime Gods that every new Shinichiro Watanabe show MUST have Yoko Kanno in it somewhere.

Samurai Champloo didn't, so that law already been broken. Also you couldn't ask for a better director for the materiel.
Adrian Robotnik

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I bet this anime short will be more interesting than the new Blade Runner movie..
MadHi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I'm not a fan of his work (Yes, I don't like Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Champloo). But I like Blade Runner so I'm looking forward to this short.
Adrian Robotnik

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:40 pm Reply with quote
MadHi wrote:
Personally, I'm not a fan of his work (Yes, I don't like Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Champloo). But I like Blade Runner so I'm looking forward to this short.

How can exist anybody that doesn't like Cowboy Bebop?? And Samurai Champloo seems pretty good too...
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:45 pm Reply with quote
This is immensely relevant to my interests.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Raebo101 wrote:

Samurai Champloo didn't, so that law already been broken.

I said every NEW Shinichiro Watanabe show. Wink Since Samurai Champloo, every show of his (even Space Dandy) has had Yoko Kanno compose some music for it, usually the entire soundtrack.
Animepokegirl89

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:08 pm Reply with quote
The only series I've seen by him, is Zankyou no Terror. I absolutely loved that Anime. Yoko Kanno was wonderful with the OST as well. I still get teary eyed when listening to the OST. Zankyou no Terror is my second favorite Anime of all time. (Chobits being number one.)

I might check this out. Any new work by him, or Ikuhara, will immediately get my attention.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Damn, this sounds like a match made in heaven! Very Happy
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Interesting to see Shukou Murase doing AD work and character design after he's been in the director chair for a while. I'll be looking forward to this, even as someone who, somehow(it's a long story), never managed to be exposed to Blade Runner.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Blade Runner, my all-time favorite movie, brought me to cyberpunk and cyberpunk brought me back to anime, via Bubblegum Crisis, Ghost in the Shell and Serial Experiments Lain... 5 years later, my whole being is coming full circle. Watanabe-sensei is spetacular, so the short will be awesome. Let us all hope Blade Runner 2049 is at the very least, a worthy sequel.
manapear

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:10 am Reply with quote
Huh. Didn't see that coming. I never liked Blade Runner, but I could understand why people do.

I'm kind of interested in this, definitely curious.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:13 am Reply with quote
You had me at "Blade Runner anime" Smile

What if Shinichiro Watanabe directed an anime series based off Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Philip K. Dick adaptations are in (The Man in the High Castle on Amazon), anime is big (Netflix and Amazon producing anime), it would be perfect.
Come on, streaming services, make our dreams come true!
Marzan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:32 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
You had me at "Blade Runner anime" Smile

What if Shinichiro Watanabe directed an anime series based off Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Philip K. Dick adaptations are in (The Man in the High Castle on Amazon), anime is big (Netflix and Amazon producing anime), it would be perfect.
Come on, streaming services, make our dreams come true!

I second your motion.

Seriously I think there's a vast untapped potential in classic sci- fi literature for adaptattions that would work better as animation, than live action. I'd love seeing My Stars My Destination or Ringworld given an anime treatment
lebrel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:10 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Well, that's kind of what this is, considering that Blade Runner is already based (loosely) on Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. Although a more direct anime adaptation of Philip K. Dick's stories might be interesting...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2