Forum - View topic
NEWS: Symphogear's Tokyo Game Show Event Cancelled Due to Net Threat




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
hikura



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 394
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:54 am Reply with quote
I completely understand why they would cancel the event. But at some point they should run thr event. People can not let a lone sicko rule their lives. They need to show them they will have a normal life in spite of them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RocketOtter



Joined: 09 Nov 2015
Posts: 34
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:20 am Reply with quote
What's up with all these death threats towards idols and shit in Japan? I know most of the 'otaku' community or whatever in Japan isn't really like this, but it keeps popping up every now and again and I ask: why?

I'm guessing its just people get necessarily upset over the existence of things they don't like but are technically legal. But I wouldn't be completely surprised if I found out there's more to it than that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hoppy800



Joined: 09 Aug 2013
Posts: 2690
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:46 am Reply with quote
Yuka probably was spotted with an alleged boyfriend and a deranged fan decided to lash out. Either that or a disgruntled employee which an incident like this is less common in Japan than in the states. I just get the feeling that one day something will occur that will result in the entire industry being screwed over and not just a more reasonable ban on handshake events and such if the industry doesn't tell the fans to knock it off.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Top Gun



Joined: 28 Sep 2007
Posts: 3376
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:24 pm Reply with quote
It seems like Japanese entertainment companies are really trigger-happy about canceling public events because of a single threat. You'd think they could just get the police or private security to have an increased presence.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John Hayabusa



Joined: 30 May 2012
Posts: 1269
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I may be a jerk for saying this. I understand that they want to protect everyone but why would they cancel an event over a single childish threat? Threats are to be taken seriously but that particular one can be resolved by tightening security.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Echii



Joined: 17 May 2014
Posts: 98
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:06 pm Reply with quote
LOL online threat should not be taken seriously. Nobody is going to kill someone over Symphogear

I see a lot of threats on youtube comment section on popular people videos, but I never saw anyone who get killed on injured.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr. Oshawott



Joined: 12 Mar 2012
Posts: 6773
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:02 pm Reply with quote
This is the sad part of being a fan of a popular franchise...
There's always that one person, or one faction of the community, that are dead set in making everyone's lives miserable just because something they wanted never happened, or something they didn't want happened. *Sigh...* -_-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Random Name



Joined: 24 Nov 2016
Posts: 577
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:58 pm Reply with quote
RocketOtter wrote:
What's up with all these death threats towards idols and shit in Japan? I know most of the 'otaku' community or whatever in Japan isn't really like this, but it keeps popping up every now and again and I ask: why?

I'm guessing its just people get necessarily upset over the existence of things they don't like but are technically legal. But I wouldn't be completely surprised if I found out there's more to it than that.
I highly doubt these type of threats are Japan specific. It's famous people anywhere that get treated in such a way. A better question is what is wrong with people in general.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FtKaru



Joined: 05 Jan 2016
Posts: 70
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Echii wrote:
LOL online threat should not be taken seriously. Nobody is going to kill someone over Symphogear

I see a lot of threats on youtube comment section on popular people videos, but I never saw anyone who get killed on injured.

Well, they never stated the nature of the threat or where exactly it was posted so it's kind of ridiculous to say no online threat should be taken seriously. And maybe someone wouldn't kill over Symphogear specifically, but you can't pretend like idols and VA's don't deal with weirdly obsessive fans, some of which are pretty much insane. animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-05-22/several-handshaking-events-cancelled-after-idol-attack/.102390

It wouldn't be unreasonable to think the same thing is possible since Yuka Iguchi hosting the program.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr. Oshawott



Joined: 12 Mar 2012
Posts: 6773
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:03 pm Reply with quote
FtKaru wrote:
And maybe someone wouldn't kill over Symphogear specifically, but you can't pretend like idols and VA's don't deal with weirdly obsessive fans, some of which are pretty much insane. animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-05-22/several-handshaking-events-cancelled-after-idol-attack/.102390

It wouldn't be unreasonable to think the same thing is possible since Yuka Iguchi hosting the program.

Plus, this problem isn't limited to just Japan. In the U.S., the TPCi seiyuu of Pokémon have been perpetually bombarded with a massive number of hate messages and even death threats since the latter half of 2006.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jirg1901



Joined: 03 Jun 2014
Posts: 147
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:30 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
It seems like Japanese entertainment companies are really trigger-happy about canceling public events because of a single threat. You'd think they could just get the police or private security to have an increased presence.

One of the things you need to remember about otaku culture is it thrives on being cheap. Really cheap. The value in going forward with this kind of thing is probably not worth the risk (or expense) no matter how unlikely the threat is because the potential profit is very small. It's not like you're talking about 20,000 paying fans in an arena or something, but rather small percentage gains from marketing for a low budget f2p game that might spill into even smaller gains for the anime.

There's also pretty limited scope to do anything here. TGS public days are already jam packed for entry so trying to add security checks would be a circus for the entire show.

Probably just mad about gacha. At times and especially on the radio show it feels like AXZ is just an ad for the app game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group