• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NIS America Apologizes for Ys VIII Localization, Announces Free Patch

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyokun47

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I haven’t heard anything about the translation yet... Was it really that awful?
Paulo27

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Would be quite funny if people had to pay for it.
catbot158

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Was the translation bad? Honestly, I heard this was coming out, and then it just disappeared...
3ngag3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the translation was pretty bad. Props to them for fixing their mistake.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:16 pm Reply with quote
NIS translations in general are pretty bad. Doesnt help the previous Ys games were done by XSeed, who are generally the best in the business.
myskaros

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen the screenshots, but there were lots of weird things where, for example, the original Japanese game already had a good English subtitle for the names of locations, and NISA just changed it to something else that actually sounded worse. Some lines sounded like a 5-year old wrote them. It was quite atrocious.

https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2017/10/ys-viii-fans-compose-e-mail-campaign-to-nihon-falcom-over-poor-localization/41161/
Nagsura

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Atlus and Sega could learn something from this.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Hehe. I just finished the game and I honestly didn't really notice the bad translation. Looking at some examples of the bad translation work, yeah, it does look kinda stiff and literal. Somehow I just missed how bad it is while playing the game.... Embarassed
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I looked at some sample screenshots and while I think the translation could be done better, I don't think it's such a huge issue that they need to retranslate the whole game.

I've seen far worse translations and people just dealed with it, I don't know why this turned into such an uproar.

For example the recently released game Blue Reflection had lots of spelling errors, editing issues, name spelling inconsistencies, missing/double/wrong words and some straight made up lines in the subs and I've seen no one complaining about that so far.
myskaros

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Narutofreak1412 wrote:
I've seen far worse translations and people just dealed with it, I don't know why this turned into such an uproar.

For example the recently released game Blue Reflection had lots of spelling errors, editing issues, name spelling inconsistencies, missing/double/wrong words and some straight made up lines in the subs and I've seen no one complaining about that so far.

Ys is a rather beloved series, and prior to this release it's been handled with deep care by XSEED, so it would be really jarring to transition to NISA's work.

Blue Reflection is a new game that isn't really getting any attention at all, so unless it was turning out to be the next Persona-level hype or something, it doesn't surprise me that there just aren't enough people who care about the game out there to complain.
Northlander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Hehe. I just finished the game and I honestly didn't really notice the bad translation. Looking at some examples of the bad translation work, yeah, it does look kinda stiff and literal. Somehow I just missed how bad it is while playing the game.... Embarassed

You know, I would actually have liked it if they just kept the old translation on as an alternative (or a "reward" for finishing the game or something), because that was just hilarious.
wolf10

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:59 pm Reply with quote
NISA's script seemed like every single line was translated without surrounding context, resulting in a lot of places where people would talk about characters or objects as if they weren't already there. My favorite is from the post-game: "Look, a crystal!" ...directed at the crystal that's been in the camp the entire time and everyone knew about.

I also just finished Danganronpa V3, which has the opposite problem: the editors went so overboard that they actually "fixed" a number of lines that were supposed to contradict well-known facts, upping the difficulty rather significantly.

I expect basically nothing from NISA at this point, but I am always grateful that they include the Japanese voice pack so I can at least hear the important details when the English script inevitably fails to deliver.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Nagsura wrote:
Atlus and Sega could learn something from this.

Given how Persona 5's issues are mostly negligible?
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:12 pm Reply with quote
NISA releasing subpar translations is par of course for them.
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Is it so hard to just have a nice localization that make people sound like people and not so literal/vanilla? NISA has this more so, but Persona 5 let me down with some of that knowing Atlus does so much better with localizations.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2