• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Wix Website Builder Buys Art Community Website DeviantArt

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Hey, that's not bad. They get mre tools to make their page more interesting and probably some populsr artists will actually get to sell their works through that site now. Not bad. As an artist myself I can see this as being very useful.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Here is a point of contrast. DeviantArt is for artists, viz. people who care greatly about the appearances of things. Wix, if it is anything like the commercial version of Wordpress, is conversely for people who are so petrified of a <style> tag that they will accept a very limited customisation suite to avoid such things. They care for the appearances of things, but only up to a point. Will ever the twain meet?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Suena

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:11 pm Reply with quote
The last time I was on DA, it was like it had become a mashup of Tumblr and Youtube (with pictures instead of videos). If they can bring some order to the chaos, while also bringing back equitable ways to find smaller artists, I might start using it again.

I wouldn't say it's a site for artists anymore, given how many people just use it as an alternative to Photobucket or Imgur. There's so much uploaded stolen art and images you can't even know who to give credit for anything.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:11 am Reply with quote
if this means better, more consistent staff on dA and kicks the whole "tracing is fine"/"copying art isn't theft" thing out I'm okay with this.
Hidders

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:04 am Reply with quote
DA users better check the post-Wix TOS. Chances are, Wix will be able to use DA'ers art for their website builder (and more) without informing the artist. $39mill doesn't seem all that much to have so much art at their fingertips...
Dolphins-San

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:16 am Reply with quote
Weazul-chan wrote:
if this means better, more consistent staff on dA and kicks the whole "tracing is fine"/"copying art isn't theft" thing out I'm okay with this.

Unfortunately, the personal DeviantArt are not numerous enough to handle this kind of complaint. Evil or Very Mad
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:49 am Reply with quote
Maybe this buyout will slightly help newer and/or more obscure artist get more exposure?
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Re-burying dead thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1