• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Little Witch Academia: Chamber of Time Launches in West on February 20

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Has there been any word on whether cutscenes and/or other dialogue will be dubbed or not? I mean, I wouldn't think so since it seems like it'd be more of a hassle than it's worth, but this is the only game from an anime property* that hasn't been import-only in a while.

*well okay, the only game from an anime property that isn't Dragon Ball or Naruto. Rolling Eyes
MeliodasWarrior

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Finally.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Dr. Wily wrote:
Has there been any word on whether cutscenes and/or other dialogue will be dubbed or not? I mean, I wouldn't think so since it seems like it'd be more of a hassle than it's worth, but this is the only game from an anime property* that hasn't been import-only in a while.

*well okay, the only game from an anime property that isn't Dragon Ball or Naruto. Rolling Eyes

It's sub-only, like every anime game Bandai Namco publishes in the west that isn't Dragon Ball or Naruto.

Digimon games lost their dub privileges after Next 0rder. Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3 was the last dubbed Gundam game. One Piece hasn't gotten a dubbed game in years. Sword Art Online's games have never been dubbed. The Seven Deadly Sins PS4 isn't getting dubbed. It's doubtful Black Clover and My Hero Academia will either.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Germany's official PlayStation blog revealed on Wednesday that the Little Witch Academia: Chamber of Time game will launch for PlayStation 4 via the PlayStation Store and PC via Steam in the Americas and Europe on February 20.

So I take it this is only going to be a digital release then? Well I am happy we finally got a release date. Now I need to decide whether I should buy it on PS4 or Steam.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Dr. Wily wrote:

It's sub-only, like every anime game Bandai Namco publishes in the west that isn't Dragon Ball or Naruto.

Digimon games lost their dub privileges after Next 0rder. Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3 was the last dubbed Gundam game. One Piece hasn't gotten a dubbed game in years. Sword Art Online's games have never been dubbed. The Seven Deadly Sins PS4 isn't getting dubbed. It's doubtful Black Clover and My Hero Academia will either.

Koet Tecmo didn't dub Berserk or the previous Attack on Titan games either. I have to wonder what the sales numbers for anime-based games are like if even Attack on Titan doesn't warrant the cost.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Dr. Wily wrote:

I get a Funimation title, since they have to go to them and get it done. But I would think with some of these other titles that are not done in-house, it would be easy to just go to the studio that dubbed it, most also do dubbing for games anyway.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really sure what people can do to encourage Bandai Namco to produce dubs for their games. Clearly there is a lucrative market for these in the west, or else we wouldn't be getting so many of them. It's a double edged sword. If the games sell poorly, Bandai Namco's likely to just not release more (in English, or just in general) rather than take it as a sign they should've dubbed it to reach a larger audience. If the games sell well, Bandai Namco has made their money and will see no reason to increase costs by producing a dub. I'd usually encourage people to tell them they want a dub on social media, but unless you're an "influencer" with a verified symbol next to your username, they're not reading your comments.

Gundam games are in an especially poor position for dubs because of Sunrise. Most of the console titles now are crossovers rather than show specific or self contained. In Japan, it's typical for the original voice actors to reprise their roles for these. In the west, that was also the case before Bandai Namco stopped dubbing the majority of their games. However, now there's a problem. Every mainline Gundam prior to IBO was dubbed by Ocean and Blue Water in Canada. Sunrise now does all Gundam dubs with NYAV in the United States. There's no way Bandai Namco would go through the effort of a collaborative production, so fans are destined to be annoyed by recasts.
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

Please don't group Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth series with World Next 0rder together as part of Digimon games. Cyber Sleuth had no English dub yet it had Western Digimon names. Next 0rder had an English dub with no Western Digimon names (Well, I can only speak for Omegamon since they advertised that name and it ended up in the game. I checked via youtube since I never played it.). The decision making for Cyber Sleuth series clearly wasn't the same for Next 0rder since DS CS Hacker's Memory is following the CS decision-making, which is backwards after the improvement in N0 with the Digimon names (I don't care for English dub and I didn't expect it in Cyber Sleuth, hence the focus on Digimon names). Just saying.
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Primus wrote:
Dr. Wily wrote:

Koet Tecmo didn't dub Berserk or the previous Attack on Titan games either. I have to wonder what the sales numbers for anime-based games are like if even Attack on Titan doesn't warrant the cost.

Which is pretty annoying when I quite like the dubs for many of these series. As a longtime Gundam fan sure I get a little giddy every time I hear Tohru Furuya and Shuichi Ikeda, but once in awhile I'd like to hear Brad Swaille and Michael Kopsa too (not that that's ever going to happen again what with Ocean being permanently dropped Crying or Very sad ).
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:14 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
I'm not really sure what people can do to encourage Bandai Namco to produce dubs for their games. Clearly there is a lucrative market for these in the west, or else we wouldn't be getting so many of them. It's a double edged sword. If the games sell poorly, Bandai Namco's likely to just not release more (in English, or just in general) rather than take it as a sign they should've dubbed it to reach a larger audience. If the games sell well, Bandai Namco has made their money and will see no reason to increase costs by producing a dub. I'd usually encourage people to tell them they want a dub on social media, but unless you're an "influencer" with a verified symbol next to your username, they're not reading your comments.

There is also that middle ground, in which some franchises might sell well enough as video games to turn a profit, but not well enough to add a dub to the budget. I suspect these games are falling into that middle ground: Get it translated into English, create a system for English text that will fit into the game's existing infrastructure (not as easy as it sounds), localize the dialogue so it sounds natural to read, test the game to make sure no weird bugs and glitches come up because of this, and roll it out the door.

This happened with Nintendo's Rhythm Heaven franchise in the Anglosphere, in which Rhythm Heaven for the DS sold well enough that Nintendo went all out with adapting Rhythm Heaven Fever for the Wii into English, such as custom-making each stage's title to fit in with how the Japanese text looked and fully dubbing over every song and voice clip where needed, and this time, they cast people who could actually sing and act well! But despite its memetic status, Fever bombed in sales, and so for Rhythm Heaven Megamix for the 3DS, it was released digital-only on the day of the announcement, none of the songs were dubbed over that didn't already exist in English, the only characters who got new lines in English were the ones who are absolutely necessary to hear in a language you're familiar with to play the game, and every stage used one of three fonts with little to no attempt to match it up with anything. This is the most bare-bones localization effort Nintendo had done in a long time, and it showed every sign of Nintendo of America having no confidence that it would sell (and it also bombed in sales).

Shar Aznabull wrote:
Which is pretty annoying when I quite like the dubs for many of these series. As a longtime Gundam fan sure I get a little giddy every time I hear Tohru Furuya and Shuichi Ikeda, but once in awhile I'd like to hear Brad Swaille and Michael Kopsa too (not that that's ever going to happen again what with Ocean being permanently dropped Crying or Very sad ).

Well, you can still hear Michael Kopsa in Canadian-made animation. Brad Swaile, I don't think he really performs in that many non-anime shows. (I know that isn't what you mean though.)
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:46 am Reply with quote
Personally I think English Dubs of Japanese games in general are slowly becoming more and more scarce. Hell some are even getting that whole Asia English Subtitled treatment so that the American and European branches don't have to do anything.
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:34 am Reply with quote
I'm excited for this game. It looks like it'll be an interesting title and the combat mechanics look like they're fairly easy to pick up and play. I plan to get it. And I guess I should really get back into watching Little Witch Academia and finish it up.

Even if it's not dubbed that's fine with me. Bandai Namco when they do put forth the effort have produced some good English dubs though. I just recently got into playing Tales of Berseria and the English dub work on that game is incredibly good. I'd go as far as to say the dub work is better on Berseria than titles that sold much better here in the US such as FFXV and Persona 5. Wasn't cringe worthy whatsoever.
neozxtc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Hmm interesting. So from what I am seeing and reading no disc based release which is a shame. I was hoping it would have gotten an LE. Glad I have the Japanese LE then.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:09 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

This happened with Nintendo's Rhythm Heaven franchise in the Anglosphere, in which Rhythm Heaven for the DS sold well enough that Nintendo went all out with adapting Rhythm Heaven Fever for the Wii into English, such as custom-making each stage's title to fit in with how the Japanese text looked and fully dubbing over every song and voice clip where needed, and this time, they cast people who could actually sing and act well!

Well to your belief not to half the fanbase unfortunately.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:23 pm Reply with quote
neozxtc wrote:
Hmm interesting. So from what I am seeing and reading no disc based release which is a shame. I was hoping it would have gotten an LE. Glad I have the Japanese LE then.

I don't know specifically what you mean by "LE", but I know you are referring to the physical copy. I was hoping for a physical release as well, but oh well. It looks like I would have to see if I can import the physical collection.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2