• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pluses Replacing Spaces When Searching Encyclopedia

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calico

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure when exactly this first started (a thread in the Encyclopedia forums says people have been having issues since the 26th), but for some odd reason, Encyclopedia searches are not working for most titles due to spaces somehow being replaced by a plus sign. For example, if I were to search for "My Hero Academia", the engine replaces the " "s with "+"s, and searches for "My+Hero+Academia", therefore not giving me any results. And only the specific Encyclopedia search itself seems to be doing this. If I do a general search, no pluses will be added, and results will appear.
horseradish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:27 pm Reply with quote
A similar issue is affecting users with spaces in their username. When I clicked on Shattered Ishida's MyAnime or MyManga buttons from the forum just now, the URL had spaces changed into plus signs.

So instead of
animenewsnetwork.com/MyAnime/?user=Shattered%20Ishida

the URL is
animenewsnetwork.com/MyAnime/?user=Shattered+Ishida
and displays the message "There is no user by the name of "Shattered+Ishida""
unready

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:01 am Reply with quote
Although it's totally a hack, you can separate words in a search with just about any punctuation mark, like ".", to search the encyclopedia, since the search seems to use them just as a list of keywords, anyway.

For example animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/search/name?q=angel.beats.

In the meantime, this bug seems to be half an implementation to replace %20 with + (which is actually fairly common on other web sites). Even though URLs here are now encoded with +, there's nothing on the back end to translate +s into spaces, so queries fail.

So somebody needs to implement the matching change on the back end or undo the change on the front end.
Slowzhand

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:51 am Reply with quote
Also having this problem with the search.

It was working earlier this morning, but by 10am CT, I was getting the plus signs.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the reports everyone, it's fixed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Calico

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:58 am Reply with quote
@Dan42, I'm still having some trouble with it. Sometimes, it won't work at all, but sometimes it'll give me results, just not the ones that i want. For example, searching "Children of the Whales" won't give me any results, but searching "Girls' Last Tour" will, although none of the results from the encyclopedia search for Girls' Last Tour are the series itself. Maybe it's a browser thing? I'm using Chrome.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:52 pm Reply with quote
@Calico are you clicking Encyclopedia from the drop down after entering a search term, or running an "anywhere on the site" search then narrowing to Encyclopedia using the tabs? They give different results as the former is an internal search through ww.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/search/name while the latter uses Google.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually still getting it myself, and it is also now affecting forum searches, e.g. the "Find all posts by Shiroi Hane" link on my profile:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=6511
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/search.php?search_author=Shiroi+Hane

Using Chrome (currently 63.0.3239.132), tried ctrl+refreshing and tried incognito mode.
Also tried in Firefox Quantum 58.0.1.
I am going through a proxy however (Zscaler).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:48 pm Reply with quote
oops
I've fixed the unfixed fix.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:10 am Reply with quote
Working again again now, thanks.
Calico

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Yup, it's now working perfectly for me as well. Thanks!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1