• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Roundup of Newly Revealed Print Counts for Manga, Light Novel Series

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully Aposimz can get an anime one day, it is a great manga so far.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Didn't know Seraph of the End was that popular. Maybe there could be a season 3
Calico

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Nice, I like having all the numbers in one place. Is this going to be a regular thing? Because if not it should be.

Oh yeah, and some older news from August that never got posted on ANN: Witch Hat Atelier/Tongari Booshi no Atorie exceeded 400,000 volumes back when only one volume was out. Source.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see "Bloom Into You" is doing well.

Calico wrote:
Nice, I like having all the numbers in one place. Is this going to be a regular thing? Because if not it should be.

Oh yeah, and some older news from August that never got posted on ANN: Witch Hat Atelier/Tongari Booshi no Atorie exceeded 400,000 volumes back when only one volume was out. Source.

Thanks for posting this, I'm really loving Witch Hat and I've been hopeful that it's been selling well. I was worried because I haven't seen any sales posts about the manga on ANN, so I appreciate you easing my worries.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:29 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Didn't know Seraph of the End was that popular. Maybe there could be a season 3

Its like the 2nd or 3rd most popular JUMP SQ manga currently in the magazine.

I wish we did get an s3, the content post anime has been so amazing.
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Calico wrote:

Usually we write up these types of news leads one by one, but we are considering doing a roundup like this maybe once a month.

Quote:

While Atelier of Witch Hat has won some awards, ANN generally limits its coverage regarding manga to manga that:
1. Has been released in English
2. Is by an author that has had another manga released in English
3. Has had an anime/live-action adaptation
4. Is by an author that has had another manga get an anime/live-action adaptation

Atelier of Witch Hat doesn't fit any of that criteria, so we don't normally cover it outside of it winning some awards, since we'd cover those awards regardless.
Calico

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Crystalyn wrote:

Usually we write up these types of news leads one by one, but we are considering doing a roundup like this maybe once a month.

Well, you have my vote to continue doing it.

Crystalyn wrote:

While Atelier of Witch Hat has won some awards, ANN generally limits its coverage regarding manga to manga that:
1. Has been released in English
2. Is by an author that has had another manga released in English
3. Has had an anime/live-action adaptation
4. Is by an author that has had another manga get an anime/live-action adaptation

Atelier of Witch Hat doesn't fit any of that criteria, so we don't normally cover it outside of it winning some awards, since we'd cover those awards regardless.

I understand why you'd usually limit coverage coverage to series that fit those criteria (it'd be a lot of work to cover each and every series that pops up), but I'm generally interested in up-and-coming titles that haven't yet come out in English. And you did include Chamberlain of the Azfareo - a title which doesn't fit any of your criteria - so I thought Atelier of Witch Hat might have been eligible to be covered too. I think it'd be great if you could cover more series like those, even if it's just including their numbers in a roundup and not posting a whole article for it.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:46 am Reply with quote
I like lists like these too.

I think I saw a higher number for Chihayafuru recently but 「累計2100万部」 is the highest count online I can link right now: Chihayafuru Musubi film site. (Accounting for print and digital according to Be Love magazine issues in which the same figure was mentioned (a.o. Be Love 7, page 45))

Here TOHO gives 「累計2200万部」as part of the coverage for the premiere and stage greeting event, March 17, 2018. This same figure is also cited by Yahoo Japan's Bookstore online, given on their introduction page for the latest chapter, verse 197, in serialisation.
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:52 am Reply with quote
Calico wrote:
And you did include Chamberlain of the Azfareo - a title which doesn't fit any of your criteria - so I thought Atelier of Witch Hat might have been eligible to be covered too. I think it'd be great if you could cover more series like those, even if it's just including their numbers in a roundup and not posting a whole article for it.

That... is a good point actually, I didn't write this particular article so I'm not sure why we included that one, but we will consider looking into adding manga print counts outside our normal criteria for this kind of thing in the future. We'll also consider what you said about covering more series like those that seem to be gaining interest through awards, word-of-mouth, etc.

As an additional note, ANN hosts a yearly survey about what kinds of things readers would like us to add to our coverage in the future, normally in December/January.

#Verso.Sciolto wrote:
Here
TOHO gives 「累計2200万部」as part of the coverage for the premiere and stage greeting event, March 17, 2018. This same figure is also cited by Yahoo Japan's Bookstore online, given on their introduction page for the latest chapter, verse 197, in serialisation.

Thanks for that, and for your feedback. We wrote about the 21 million count when the 3rd anime season was announced in February (http://4NN.cx/.128239), but the 22 million is new as of March. We'll keep that one on hand for our next roundup.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:34 am Reply with quote
Crystalyn wrote:
Thanks for that, and for your feedback. We wrote about the 21 million count when the 3rd anime season was announced in February (http://4NN.cx/.128239), but the 22 million is new as of March. We'll keep that one on hand for our next roundup.
... and thank you for your coverage. The earlier cumulative number too was possibly for a combined total of print and digital editions although it wasn't always identified as such in the Japanese texts where it was used. On the pages of Be Love magazine that number has, however, consistently been accompanied by this parenthetical note: (電子含む).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1