• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toys R Us Plans to Sell or Close Over 700 U.S. Stores

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:10 am Reply with quote
Sad I went there when I was little to buy toys such as Legos, stuffed animals, board games, She-ra action figure and castle, Barbie, my toy kitchen, My Little Pony and Hello Kitty, a couple of my Halloween costumes and candy, VHS of Muppet movies, etc. My parents bought me my first little blue convertible car and my pink tricycle. The memories. Cool

This Hello Kitty playhouse was one of the items my parents bought for me back in the mid 80's at Toys R Us.

Sure they were expensive, but they do price matches.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:29 am Reply with quote
R.I.P Toys R Us I’ve spent some of my best childhood moments in your stores and I will always remember you fondly. Crying or Very sad
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:39 am Reply with quote
If not for the mention of Japanese store closings, I couldn't see why this is here. Not really anime related...
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:46 am Reply with quote
I knew the writing was on the wall when BBC announced that the UK stores were closing about a month ago.

Like many others, I’m sorry to hear this news. Toys R Us was, next to FAO Schwartz, my favorite toy store as a child. Had 5 year old me had any wish, it was to win one of those Nickelodeon Super Toy Runs and just shove everything into the cart. I recall that Toys R Us was heavily invested in the Pokemon franchise in the early days of the series in the US, often having special promos and giving out badges to those who participated in playing the trading card game there. Sadly though, I felt more devastated by the loss of FAO; What child my age didn’t act out that scene from Big there?

I feel sorry that future generations won’t, as of now, get to experience something like the joy of going to a toy store. Walmart and Target can’t even scratch the surface.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:46 am Reply with quote
Oh... another part of my childhood going bye-bye... granted the two stores I consdered to be a large part of my childhood closed years ago... but still... it is sad to see it go.

And I have been to one in Japan. The one in Sunshine City... it was pretty much the same now that I think about it.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:52 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
If not for the mention of Japanese store closings, I couldn't see why this is here. Not really anime related...

We wouldn't be this pop-culturally traumatized if Sears was going under... Rolling Eyes

And yes, to put it kindly, Toys R Us was not exactly the place you went looking for anime besides Pokemon, Sailor Moon or Cardcaptors (yes, they put out a talking plush with Kero's surfer-dude voice)--But it's mostly here because, with Sears and JC Penney also teetering on the brinks, business is spinning the one closing into a, quote, "Retail Apocalypse" of '18-'19, and advising businesses on how to "brace for the coming future".

Everyone else is sad because they're "losing their childhoods", even though TRU was basically crippled from the minute they started pumping more money into Babies R Us, Amazon took over the collector-figure market, more kids started playing with tablets, and more parents started relying on Target to do their Christmas shopping.
Nowadays, the annual holiday TRU toys ads have been replaced by the annual holiday Target toys ads....Yeah, just not the same. Sad
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:11 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

It's pretty much an enormous blow to the American toy market, much like when Borders closed down it was a huge blow to the American manga market. Admittedly, I haven't been to a Toys R Us at all lately outside the occansional gift search to a family member and most of my own personal toy shopping is off import and second-hand shops like Mandarake, but I imagine a lot of kids marketed anime here will suffer, like Yokai Watch which had tons of merchandise, and probably Pocket Monsters as well.

Not too surprising, though. Toys these days are pretty poorly made, overpriced, and they make stuff no one wants so it shelfwarms for years. My insiders in the industry tell me lots of fun stories, like how he can barely keep these rainbow monkey figures in stock because girls eat them up, but he can't even give away the mountain of Rey figures on clearance for a dollar because no one wants them, but they're pretty much forced to stock them. All the crazy stuff he told me I'm not surprised toy stores are struggling.

-Stuart Smith
uruaoi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:27 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

It's pretty much an enormous blow to the American toy market, much like when Borders closed down it was a huge blow to the American manga market. Admittedly, I haven't been to a Toys R Us at all lately outside the occansional gift search to a family member and most of my own personal toy shopping is off import and second-hand shops like Mandarake, but I imagine a lot of kids marketed anime here will suffer, like Yokai Watch which had tons of merchandise, and probably Pocket Monsters as well.

Not too surprising, though. Toys these days are pretty poorly made, overpriced, and they make stuff no one wants so it shelfwarms for years. My insiders in the industry tell me lots of fun stories, like how he can barely keep these rainbow monkey figures in stock because girls eat them up, but he can't even give away the mountain of Rey figures on clearance for a dollar because no one wants them, but they're pretty much forced to stock them. All the crazy stuff he told me I'm not surprised toy stores are struggling.

-Stuart Smith

The closing of the stores isn't necessarily to do with sales. My boyfriend works at HQ and basically, TRU was bought out on a debt over a decade ago and instead of selling when it was profitable, the owners decided to get greedy which resulted in *taadaaa* more debt. The current CEO wanted to get rid of that debt (so they could focus on improving high performing stores, etc.) so they filed for chapter 11, which is debt reorganization and not liquidation. However, this was right before the holiday season and for some reason, made sales go down even though they weren't going out of business. This was totally unexpected and honestly blindsided everyone at HQ, CEO included.

Fast forward to now, the creditors working on the chapter 11 have the choice of reorganizing debt or liquidating for fast money. Instead of looking at how TRU has been PROFITABLE prior to the chapter 11 filing, and would continue to be profitable once they got out of bankruptcy, they'd rather just get their money ASAP via liquidation, which brings us here.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:32 am Reply with quote
As I understand it, this isn't too far removed from what happened to KB Toys, right?
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

Aside from the aforementioned anime merchandising for kids: Certain locations have been selling what I assume are Blue Fin Distribution collector's stuff - Gundam candy toys (without the candy), Sailor Moon figures, Dragon Ball statues, etc. One not far from me actually expanded their arrangement to have a display case like Barnes & Noble. They even had some manga, like Fairy Tail, which appeared to be selling.

This was a great way to get stuff like individual Gundam Converge figures at reasonable prices, so it sucks to see it go just when it became a good option.
explosionforgov

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:36 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
My insiders in the industry tell me lots of fun stories, like how he can barely keep these rainbow monkey figures in stock because girls eat them up, but he can't even give away the mountain of Rey figures on clearance for a dollar because no one wants them, but they're pretty much forced to stock them. All the crazy stuff he told me I'm not surprised toy stores are struggling.

-Stuart Smith

I admire/look up to Rey immensely and can't see the appeal of Fingerlings, so I have no idea what those kids are on about. But then again, I'm a grown woman around Daisy Ridley's age and not a little girl, so maybe I'm not the target audience.

Our TRU has only a few pieces of anime merch-- Sailor Moon, One Piece, and Naruto among them, but most of the sales are Pokémon, Yo-Kai Watch, and especially DBZ, which is particularly popular in our area. I think I saw some blind-boxed Death Note stuff there, too.

Also, that claim about informing the workers of the closure on Wednesday is inaccurate. Everyone I know who works there only found out today via the internet. Every other question to their managers in the months beforehand was just met with a "We're not closing, and if the customers ask, tell them we're not planning on closing."
asukas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:09 am Reply with quote
This is really sad, and really nerve-wracking... I work at another struggling retailer and news like this always makes me wonder if we'll be next. I hope everyone is able to recover from this and find new jobs quickly, but this is an awful blow...
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The company struggled to remain afloat after a buyout by equity firms KKR & Co. and Bain Capital, and real estate investment company Vornado Realty Trust in 2005. The buyout put a US$5.3 billion debt on the company.
Vulture capitalists strike again! Well, them and Amazon, anyway. I fear for the future of a friend of mine who's worked in Toys R US HR for the better part of two decades now.
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:39 am Reply with quote
My local Toys R Us closed back in 2015--it was only a nine-minute drive from my house. Had a lot of good memories there. In fact, it was a place I went to whenever I was feeling down about something, it always kind of cheered me up. Bought a ton of stuff there over the years. So losing that store was pretty much the end of TRU for me (the second-nearest one was nearly an hour's drive away and not really feasible to go on a regular basis--I only went there once, mainly to say good-bye to that last bit of my childhood).

My heart goes out to all the TRU employees and I wish them the best of luck in finding new jobs. When I first entered the job market myself, I actually applied at that local TRU and even got an interview, but I was nervous and bombed badly. Maybe that was a blessing in disguise now.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:55 am Reply with quote
An unjust end to what was perhaps the finest retail establishment of which I have grown out. I do recall how each visit engendered a lesser sense of materialistic wonder and a greater sense of mild embarrassment as my childhood dwindled.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:05 am Reply with quote
Toys R Us Canada is still hanging in there and might wind up being bought by a toy company (which kind of sounds like a bad idea, but okay).

To relate this to anime, back in, oof, maybe 2007 or 2008? I remember walking into my local store and noticing they carried Gundam SEED Destiny DVDs. That was the moment I realized the first show did really well up here. The store carried Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh! and other kids anime DVDs, but nothing else from Bandai Entertainment. Heck, there hadn't been Gundam merch in mainstream Canadian retail for years at that point.

Yo-Kai Watch merch has been dead at retail for a while now. Most of it was liquidated to stores like Dollar General/Dollarama a while ago. TRU dying in the US would really hurt brands like Beyblade and any other Japanese toy-focused property looking for a US entrance (hey, Zoids Wild).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3