• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Scotland Loves Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:47 pm Reply with quote
There's a YouTube video with Jonathon Clements (the author of Schoolgirl Milky Crisis) where he tells the story of the series that suddenly jumped in sales because of a Japanese fan's discovery of the UK's lower prices. The title was blanked out in said video, so I'm glad to finally have that mystery solved. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm so glad I finally bit the bullet on UK importing a year or two ago, because Anime Limited has saved me a bundle on avoiding Aniplex's nonsense. Even with international shipping I've probably paid about a third of what I would have here. That's not to mention all of the titles that the UK (and Australia too) have that inexplicably never get a release here, or only do so years after the fact. Movies and OVAs in particular seem to get a way better deal there. I don't really get why that is, given how much larger the US market is, though I'd assume Japan's ridiculous reverse-importation phobia plays at least some part.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm of two minds on Anime Ltd's collectors editions. On the one hand, some of them are really nice & well priced. On the other, it's hard to ignore that you're sometimes paying a premium for some cardboard. I like that they seem to be taking a leaf out of the Arrow & Eureka! book by including essays & interviews in some releases. Looking forward to the John Celements booklet coming with Momotaro.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:39 am Reply with quote
I'm mixed on this studio, overall I like them, they are friendly to buy from, and some of their collections, Kill La Kill, most of their Movie releases, to be great, but then you get Gurren Lagann and Patema Inverted, with their horribly oversized digipacks. And some have even been of poor build quality, Chrono crusade broke first time opening it, they were happy to replace it, but that was broke before I had even opened it, thankfully it was a tiny bit of the disc holder so I didn't bother getting it replaced again.

I do love how they release titles that over publishers won't, be it in the UK or even America; Tokyo Marble Chocolate, Princess Arete, Samurai Flamenco and Mai Mai Miracle.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:14 am Reply with quote
When it comes to Aniplex shows in the UK, it's a mixed bag. You may get jealous of the cheaper prices, but there is usually a reason for the cheaper prices. The best that we can hope for is a UK distro uses the US masters. Blue Exorcist through Manga uses the Aniplex masters, so they look fantastic. But when the discs are authored locally, or via Australia, then problems sneak in. You might think locked subtitles are a small price to pay, but the Gurren Lagann release from AL has several seconds of SD footage where they couldn't source the HD. The first release of Durarara!! on Blu-ray used an Australian Master from Siren that was so bad when it came to subtitling that AL had to scrap it and start again, while for Durarara!! x2, Aniplex stipulated that the OVAs couldn't be released here, and two out of the three releases have lossy audio.

The only real reason to get jelly is because of Aniplex's release strategy in the US. They don't release all that they have. We got Persona 4 dual audio Bluu-rays long before, Blu-rays for Magi, World Conquest Zvezda Plot, AL have BD Silver Spoon on their release schedule yet to come, Samurai Flamenco, while Australia has released Mushishi S2 and Mekakku City Actors on DVD. But you do have to put up with those authoring quirks of companies like Madman and Kaze that you wouldn't countenance from Aniplex.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:28 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
There's a YouTube video with Jonathon Clements (the author of Schoolgirl Milky Crisis) where he tells the story of the series that suddenly jumped in sales because of a Japanese fan's discovery of the UK's lower prices. The title was blanked out in said video, so I'm glad to finally have that mystery solved. Smile

I’ve known the answer for a while (and even at one point found the actual blog and used it as an example of why reverse importing is seen as a problem when people complain about restrictions), but since the cat is well and truly out of the bag, here’s Jonathan’s side: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BevPFBmOdig&t=47m25s
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Greboruri

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:31 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I'm mixed on this studio, overall I like them, they are friendly to buy from, and some of their collections, Kill La Kill, most of their Movie releases, to be great, but then you get Gurren Lagann and Patema Inverted, with their horribly oversized digipacks.

You do realise that the reason for the "horribly oversized digipacks" is that they're built they way to contain the artbooks that come with them. I really don't know if you're being deliberately obtuse or not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1