• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:09 pm Reply with quote

Full Metal Panic! (TV) (discussion here)
Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu (TV) (discussion here)
Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid (discussion here)
Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory (TV)

Genres: action, science fiction
Themes: mecha, military, real robot

Plot Summary: Fourth season of the Full Metal Panic franchise.

Nine months have passed since teen soldier Sousuke Sagara first became Kaname Chidori's covert protector. In that time, Mithril has been remarkably successful at thwarting Amalgam's efforts, but this has only made Amalgam more determined. Leonard Testarossa's visits with Tessa and Kaname are just preludes to all-out attacks that begin with global communications disruptions. Kaname's status as a Whispered makes her one of Amalgam's main targets, which means that any semblance of a peaceful life at Jindai Municipal High School is now over for her.
----------------------------------

Been waiting several years for this. I saw the previous seasons during Summer 2011 and haven't forgotten it since. It got announced as a 12 episode series but I think will still bring a feeling of nostalgia for Spring.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KanaSo93

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:00 am Reply with quote
I am Italian, so forgive some mistakes.
The series will cover a lot of history, because yesterday when the blu ray promo image came out, I saw the Leviathan that appears in the last part of the story.
I do not know if it will cover all the remaining light novels but a good part of it.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:01 am Reply with quote

I haven't watched 2nd raid for a while so my memory of current events is hazy, but the first episode does a good job at gently easing fans back into the groove before setting next week for an action bonanza.

The unflappable council president is going to graduate and with him goes one of the most effective guardians Sousuke and Chidori have with regards to their everyday life. Because he's so perfect, he has long since cottoned on to Chidori's secret and the attendant hazards that brings to the mundane high-school life she adores. His little tete-a-tete with Sousuke on the rooftop might well have been the trigger for Sousuke to move the relationship forward.

Mithril had their hands full against Amalgam in the last adaptation and now Leonard is saying Amalgam are taking things more seriously?! Things look bleak for Sousuke and company now that "Zero Hour" is in full swing. With an episode title like "Damage Control", it's hard to see how deep the hole Sousuke and Chidori will have to fall before they can climb back out again.

It's been a long time since I've seen a pilot episode with no OP or ED, but it looks like the animators wanted to cram in as much as they could within the time allocated. If they can match the OP song from Fumoffu I'll be more than satisfied, I don't think this adaptation will have much in the vein of comedy or silly hijinks.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:15 am Reply with quote
I probably consider FMP a very big part of my anime watching, so I feel a lot of glee to have it back. The last animated part was Tessa's drunk shenanigans. But this is also at a point Sousuke has decided to truly dedicate himself to making sure he can be with Chidori, that he won't be backing down, and that was shown in how he acted this episode.

And so far, even though we just got reunited with it, it looks like their normal high school life may be something they cannot come back to. The funny parts of this series are among my favourite, although this looks like it be more serious.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:39 am Reply with quote
I'm very glad I was able to fit in a rewatch of FMP! and FMP!:TSR in before this started. In addition to reminding me of all the characters and plot, it very much put me in the mood. Loved seeing Sousuke take Kaname's hand. and loved being back in this world. I had been disappointed that KyoAni wasn't doing the series, but after seeing the first eppie, I think Xebec is doing a great job. I'm also disappointed this is just a 1-cours, but after a 13 year wait between series, I'm profoundedly grateful for anything. Lookng forward to some kickass action scenes!
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:57 am Reply with quote

The episode title is as straightforward as it gets. Mithril are well and truly under the pump and if the OP animation is anything to go by it looks like they're not going to last the distance.

The car chase scene looked radically different from the rest of the show; first impression I got was watching video games using polygons from the early 2000s. I don't think I'm fond of it, but if it means the action scene between the Arm Slaves and other characters get more attention and a higher budget then I'm not too fussed about it.

Chidori has been in scrapes before, but Amalgam's all-out onslaught is like nothing she's ever seen. I wouldn't be surprised if she gets some kind of PTSD from all this, especially since her classmates and friends are now targets. Sousuke on the other hand is in his element.

Teletha is not the commanding officer of her ship in name only; she does command the respect of her crew and will go to any length to get the job done. Quite the contrast from the easy-going ditz when she's pretending to be a transfer student. She'll need everything she has now that her greatest weapon is out of commission and the odds are heavily stacked against the island's inhabitants.

The OP animation again gives a big hint of what's coming (from what I can see). Sousuke would rather run with Chidori in tow but he's going to have to walk into the obvious trap for her sake.

On a final note, that's a very weird episode title for next week. Doesn't make much sense since the syntax is messed up, but I'm hoping it's going to be explained next week.
one3rd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:57 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
And so far, even though we just got reunited with it, it looks like their normal high school life may be something they cannot come back to. The funny parts of this series are among my favourite, although this looks like it be more serious.

I haven't been following anime very closely for several years and flipped out when I found out just last week that we were getting more FMP!

I agree with you about FMP's comedic side. I think the start of the new series would have been more effective if they had adapted the Dancing Very Merry Christmas novel. That novel simultaneously provides comedy and meaningfully advances the plot. A quick summary: In response to the hijacking incident that Jindai experienced, a non-profit organization offers them a Christmas Eve vacation on a cruise ship. December 24 also happens to be spoiler[both Tessa's and Kaname's birthday.] Drama ensues. In any case, shortly after spoiler[the captain declares that there are definitely no terrorists aboard the ship, the ship is hijacked by a terrorist group.] Except that the spoiler[terrorist group] is actually spoiler[Mithril in disguise.] And the cruise was spoiler[a trap placed by Amalgam.] Mithril tries to make it a spoiler[lighthearted hijacking, for the sake of the students, but the stakes are deadly serious.] Hilarity and arm slave battles ensue.

Since they decided not to adapt that, though, I don't think we'll be getting much more of the lighter side than comic relief from Kurz and maybe Tessa tripping or something.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:30 am Reply with quote
Excellent episode. They’re really nailing the tone and pacing for the serious stuff in a way that imho the earlier series sometimes had trouble with. The Don’t Worry, They May Be Nuclear line just before the opening credits, Kaname’s reactions to violence and Teletha’s spoiler[suppression of the potential mutiny] were handled really well. While the latter could seem to take up time when time is short, properly resolving the issue is essential, and under the circumstances doing so without losing pilots may be similarly important, so taking the time to handle it in a way that exhibits calm control makes sense.

I do wish Kurz and the other guy pushed those trollies slightly less nonchalantly though.

Parts of the CG car chase did look out of place but the animation in those sequences made up for it.

On comic relief, there was a hint of it in Sousuke’s serious response to the comment about his driving.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:05 am Reply with quote
I think that the most interesting part was the collateral damage. You would think that Chidori still had no idea of the extent of shit he has been through, and the sheer will he has had to just move forward. This is a guy who has lost a number of friends. But even Sousuke has been put in a really tough spot now that their school mates have been taken hostage like they have.

Things will really need to get helped soon, because they are totally being dominated now, and they all need help.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:54 am Reply with quote

After watching this episode, I have no idea what the "Big One %" of the title specifically relates to. It's been a losing battle against overwhelming odds and superior forces for Mithril on the island; there's nothing big about defeating one of the three Behemoths at the cost of two out of the eight AS operators. Not to mention the Behemoths did enough to let the landing parties reach the island unscathed. In hindsight, Teletha's dispatch of the Arbalest proved a shrewd move since it was useless in the base without Sousuke acting as its pilot.

The students are completely oblivious to the situation they're in. The entire school is rigged to blow up and it's all a trap to kill Sousuke and secure Chidori for Amalgam. As talented as Chidori is with her specific Whispered affinity, is there anything she can feasibly help Sousuke with when he's not up against an enemy AS?

Next week's title will perhaps give an answer to the OP animation for this season, specifically the part about fighting in a desert arena with second-hand Arm Slaves.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:06 pm Reply with quote

Teletha and what remains of the Tuatha De Danaan's crew live to fight another day, but Sagara has lost completely despite putting up considerable resistance. He's always been on the back foot against Amalgam's superior technology, but that Belial is on an entirely different level to what Gauron and the other Amalgam directors have put forward to date.

It looks like Kaname's abilities are evolving with each crisis. Besides assistance with AS duels, she can now write jamming algorithms at record speed and possesses limited precognition (which is apparently shared with the Belial's pilot). I don't think she's completely given up hope of seeing Sagara again, but it looks like those two won't be seeing each other again for much of this adaptation, if at all.

Tokiwa Kyouko was unfortunately collateral damage this time round, but at least she survived. Her classmates aren't the wiser as to what Sagara did to save her, but he's said his piece and has probably walked out for good. The little scheme to get the students out is a nice nod to the final episode of Fumoffu, but seeing Sagara make his apology at the last scene hits home just how much he has changed since he first enrolled as a transfer student.

Easy guess is that the next episode focuses on the breakout attempt, scenes featuring Sagara trying to gather what resources he can for the inevitable chase interspersed throughout.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:31 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
The little scheme to get the students out is a nice nod to the final episode of Fumoffu,

I loved that, because it is one of my favourite parts of the series, and that the entire student body might quickly accept something like that happening because of Sousuke.

But, things really cannot go back to normal now, and with Kyoko getting hurt, was enough to make Sousuke go on a rampage.
scullen

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:19 am Reply with quote
Has anyone heard what's up with the English dub for FMP: IV? I thought it was supposed to premiere on Funimation Sunday afternoon, but as of today it is still not showing up in my Funi account. I was also a little surprised to see they took down TSR.

I couldn't help myself, so I have caught up on the new episodes on another service that is streaming the subs, but was really looking forward to hearing the English cast again.
Full Metal Panic and Be Bop are two shows that I really like the English dubs the best. Not to cast aspersions on the Japanese casts-- the dubs on these take me back to a special time in my evolution as an anime fan.
TexZero

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:39 pm Reply with quote
It's up so i'm not sure what you may have done wrong...

https://www.funimation.com/shows/full-metal-panic/zero-hour/
scullen

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I was mistaken, it was there. I just didn't see it because of a glitch in the user interface. The entry for Full Metal Panic has the usual Seasons button, when I selected it the last button in the drop down was gibberish. On closer inspection, it was the words "Extras:" and "Full Metal Panic: Invisible Victory" superimposed on one another. When I selected that, it loaded episode one. We have a Samsung television set, so it might be a glitch that only appears in that flavor of the Funimation app.
So now, I am geeking out because I got to hear the original English cast doing their thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2