• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress BD/DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:39 am Reply with quote
Regarding the bare-bones nature of the on-disc content, that isn't too surprising. Crunchyroll had licensed it for physical release prior to the CR/Funi partnership, and typically anything that was already contracted for a dub in LA has been that way. For shows like that, Funimation has basically just been the distributor for Crunchyroll, which means that those shows don't get things like commentaries. If it was something like 91 Days, where Funimation actually provided the dub, then there have been extras like other Funimation releases. The limited edition came with physical extras, though.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
While simplicity isn't a bad thing on its own, it does result in a mixed bag of quality when it comes to Kabaneri's narrative.

Ouffff feeling generous are we?
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:32 am Reply with quote
Kabaneri is the most entertaining action anime of 2016. The animation quality is really good for a TV show and a rare shading technique is used for animating faces that have been described on several blogs. I also appreciate that the show feels like a complete story with no loose threads and a strong ending.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:52 am Reply with quote
Half a really good show, half a not so great one. But it looks awesome throughout, and ends well enough, so it remains worth viewing. And it does leave me wanting more, although I hope it doesn't end up like Rage of Bahamut.

I thought that one ending scene was a sly, low tech take on Gundam's conclusion.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:59 am Reply with quote
Hyperviolent? It has it's moments and can be grotesque at times, but I wouldn't classify it at a "BLOOD-C" kind of level. It's more of a typical monster-slaying type of show, maybe slightly more violent but not to a massive degree. As far as the bare-boned release, I believe most of the goody content was saved for the physical side for the LE release.

As for the review itself, it was nice to see a more generous take on the series, which is reasonable. I wasn't as bowled over by Kabaneri, but I definitely didn't think it was terrible or wasn't entertaining on some level. It still should have been better, mind you, given the parts of its sum, and I believe the next installments will determine its ultimate fate as a whole, but was hard to hate the series, too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Okay, but how did the dub handle Kabaneri's best character Suzuki?
Chocoreto

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Gee, and I always wondered, how would Attack on Titan be if you took away its plot and characters?

Fortunately Kabaneri came along and my question was answered. Blatant rip-off which everyone says "yes but it looks so beautiful" but in reality, it doesn't manage to do even that! Its entire existence irks me. Everyone thinks they can do AoT better than Isayama but they're not worthy to even lick his shoes!!! And yes I know very well who directed it!!!
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Chocoreto wrote:
Gee, and I always wondered, how would Attack on Titan be if you took away its plot and characters?

Fortunately Kabaneri came along and my question was answered. Blatant rip-off which everyone says "yes but it looks so beautiful" but in reality, it doesn't manage to do even that! Its entire existence irks me. Everyone thinks they can do AoT better than Isayama but they're not worthy to even lick his shoes!!! And yes I know very well who directed it!!!

Kind of funny how the first half Seraph of the End was already basically AoT considering Yu started exactly like Eren. However, for the second half, the Seraph's plot and characters changed but it didn't even have an ending. Sad
NormanS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:27 pm Reply with quote
The thing i like about the series is the theme and setting of the show. When i first saw it i thought it was a Sakura Taisen spin-off or something especially when the Ayame Yomogawa
looks nearly identical to Sakura Shinguji.
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:22 pm Reply with quote
its sooooo sad that this show isnt as popular as it should be with a great dub and all and most people really dislike it for its without a doubt influence on you know what but it was fun to watch for the most part back in 2016. I wish something like this would air on tv like toonami or something so that it'll get exposure, especially with the fan favorite Veronica taylor actually in a casting role! But oh well..
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I picked up the LE, and have already rewatched it once. I probably will again before the year is out. Great dub, great bonus content, and as for the show, I liked it a bit more than I liked the Attack on Titan adaptation (which I have always maintained could have done a much better job adapting the manga's pacing).

Just like always, though, I can't seem to get a Funimation Bluray/DVD combo release in the mail that doesn't arrive with at least one scratched disc. Confused
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Half a really good show, half a not so great one. But it looks awesome throughout, and ends well enough, so it remains worth viewing. And it does leave me wanting more, although I hope it doesn't end up like Rage of Bahamut.

I thought that one ending scene was a sly, low tech take on Gundam's conclusion.

The thing that makes the shift in the plot so awkward it's just so jarring. There's not really a transition and as such it feels like we're dealing with an entirely different season at that point.
Zeino

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I can forgive the lack of originality from Kabaneri as it was more than made up with sheer charming bombast at first. But Biba was such a black hole of a bad character that I think suck pretty much any enjoyment away and derailed the plot to such an extent that I have no desire to continue with the series if it gets a second season. So yes, a single character can indeed ruin everything.

Last edited by Zeino on Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
xchampion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I hope they dub the compilation films in the future. I felt they were superior with the added scenes versus the series. That's very rare for the compilation to be better in my opinion.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:55 am Reply with quote
A 'B' for story? Feeling quite generous today, huh.

Also, the animation quality definitely dipped in the second half. Maybe they fixed that for the home release, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2